Current Player #25 Will Goodwin

The reality is it should be a bigger concern how we’ve managed to spunk half a million quid down the drain on someone who can’t stay fit.

It’s also a massive kudos to Mark Harris as to why he’s been completely forgotten.

And he’s Oxfords number 9 🎶

I don't want to seem pedantic here, but doesn't "Don’t need to know the nitty gritty" suggest that Dick doesn't need to know every little detail?

I do wish you and The Blessed Egg, best supporter evah would at least try to look like you read what people post before playing the man.
But what specifically is there to be gained by the club airing its dirty laundry other than satisfying the vague curiosity of fans?

He’s fit, we need a winger, and he’s not being picked. We can draw our own conclusions.

But what specifically is there to be gained by the club airing its dirty laundry other than satisfying the vague curiosity of fans?

He’s fit, we need a winger, and he’s not being picked. We can draw our own conclusions.

So, quite literally, ANY signing we make from now on (whatever their reputation or value) you will have no intrigue if they are not being selected in the 18, never mind the 11? You can just draw your own conclusion that, without any explanation, they aren't performing in training and subsequently not being selected in a squad of 18. Fair enough but I think you're in the minority. It's the club I support, call me nosey but I want to know what's going on with players. - especially if it's a player with a bit of pedigree (60 championship games and POTY at a championship club under his belt). I would have thought, being fans, we are all interested but everyone is different.

Bolton have such a deep squad that despite Jón Daði Böðvarsson being injured, they are still able to bring Victor Adeboyejo, Cameron Jerome and Kyle Dempsey off the bench.
Posh have such a deep squad that they were able to bring Kwame Poku and Ricky Jade-Jones on, and Jonson Clarke-Harris - the guy who scored 26 League One goals last year - couldn't even get on the field.

If we get promoted this year, it will be an absolute frickin' miracle given the paucity of options in our squad compared to those two! And a testament to a solid job by the coaching staff to (eventually) find an XI that works despite our lack of options, some heroic efforts by a bunch of our players who've run themselves into the ground all season long and a lot of luck because a serious injury to any one of half a dozen players could have derailed us completely.

But we had a chance to improve those options in January, and we went 1 for 5 in the outfield. Dale has been a good signing, but Burey, Goodwin, Edwards and Matete haven't contributed. It is not unreasonable to criticize the club for that, even if it might all work out in the end. I would certainly be sitting here more confident of our promotion chances

Just to accentuate my point from earlier.

If, Heaven forbid, we end up going to extra time on Wednesday - Peterborough will be able to replace their front three which whichever of Mothersile/Jade-Jones/Ajiboye/Poku/Jonson-Harris don't start (I presume Mason-Clark will start). OK, some of those options come with question marks but they will at least have fresh legs up front for the entire 120 minutes. Bolton will be the same if we face them in the final.

We, on the other hand, will be able to bring on Marcus Browne to replace one of the front three; we can bring on Greg Leigh (nominally our left back) to replace another but one member of our front three will have to stay on the pitch for two hours. Even if they've run themselves into the ground.....as we would like them to in an ideal world because we know that Peterborough are susceptible to a consistent high press.

Honestly, I think our only viable strategy for Wednesday (and indeed for the Final if we get there) is to make sure we're ahead at 70 minutes and hang on. Because we don't have options to come off the bench and change it if we're not.

That's not the fault of the coaching staff or the players - it's just the same problem we've had all season of bad squad construction leaving us to play the most important games of the season with basically only four forwards for three spots plus some makeshift pieces. And, yes, some of that is legacy held over from Robinson, and some of that is decisions that Manning made.....but some of it is also the fact that, as a club, we made a rickets of the January window as well!
Bodin is another option as a ‘false 9’.

Still hasn’t been indicated whether Goodwin is out for the season. For the reasons you’ve given I’d put him on the bench if he’s at least half fit. As a chasing the game option.

We could of course also put one of the centre backs up top if we need a goal. Looks a little desperate though.

To me having some quality up front all game is a big deal. I slightly fear extra time. Even if fit , do you honestly think Harris will be contributing much then ?

He’ll be cream crackered.

So, quite literally, ANY signing we make from now on (whatever their reputation or value) you will have no intrigue if they are not being selected in the 18, never mind the 11? You can just draw your own conclusion that, without any explanation, they aren't performing in training and subsequently not being selected in a squad of 18. Fair enough but I think you're in the minority. It's the club I support, call me nosey but I want to know what's going on with players. - especially if it's a player with a bit of pedigree (60 championship games and POTY at a championship club under his belt). I would have thought, being fans, we are all interested but everyone is different.
I’m obviously curious, but I don’t feel the club has an obligation to give me any and all information I’m curious about, no. I don’t think that’s controversial.

I’m obviously curious, but I don’t feel the club has an obligation to give me any and all information I’m curious about, no. I don’t think that’s controversial.
Yes, the curiosity of idle voices who spend too much time on an online forum is not a good basis for the club's comms. If we were slagging off our loan players in public I'd be ashamed of us

Bodin is another option as a ‘false 9’.

Still hasn’t been indicated whether Goodwin is out for the season. For the reasons you’ve given I’d put him on the bench if he’s at least half fit. As a chasing the game option.

We could of course also put one of the centre backs up top if we need a goal. Looks a little desperate though.

To me having some quality up front all game is a big deal. I slightly fear extra time. Even if fit , do you honestly think Harris will be contributing much then ?

He’ll be cream crackered.

Think we're both in complete agreement here, and just amplifying our anxiety, but whatever.......

Bodin up front is an option.....I'm not sure he's a great option, and I think we're better off with him replacing either RR or Goodrham. Who themselves are likely to have run themselves into the ground by 75 minutes.

Given the limits of our current squad, if we go with the same starting XI then our best options for substitutions for a game that goes 120 minutes are likely (if noone else comes back from injury):

Browne/Leigh/Bodin/McEachran/Henry or McGuane for Harris/Dale/Murphy/Goodrham/RR (with Cam staying on for 120.....because let's face it, he'd probably be quite happy to run himself into the ground until 3 in the morning if it meant going to Wembley).

That is not exactly like-for-like! It could help us do a job if we're hanging on to a lead. It's not going to help us chase the game. We need to start well tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom