Local Elections

Not a surprise Gant got back in, he is careful not s**t on his own doorstep while happily doing it elsewhere.
As evidenced by his hypocritical objection to the stadium.

He sees himself as "Andrew Gant - King of Oxford"

I was going to say. That's no surprise. Wouldn't happen if he was standing in Cowley!!

Well up here our incumbent PCC (Con) was re-elected on an abysmal turnout of 21.7% across LLR.

Turnout was as low as 17% in some districts.

Down the village hall I nearly had to wake them up. :ROFLMAO:

Given Cowley and Leys are more working class I'd assume they are Labour/Cons councils?

Labour, no conservative councillors in Oxford I don’t think. East Oxford is a Labour stronghold, one of the few in the South east, been more councillors from the Independent working class association and the like in places like Blackbird Let’s and Woodfarm than Tory’s. The posher parts are Lib Dem and the centre has had a few greens because of the students. Oxford East MP has been Labour since the 80s, one of a couple at times in the whole south east, whereas Oxford West and Abingdon has swapped between Lib Dem’s and tories, although boundary changes and a new constituency might have some affect in the latter.

Well up here our incumbent PCC (Con) was re-elected on an abysmal turnout of 21.7% across LLR.

Turnout was as low as 17% in some districts.

Down the village hall I nearly had to wake them up. :ROFLMAO:
17% is high considering you're basically just voting for a colour these days.

We need a new system for electing a council, like maybe a whole village has an arm wrestling contest or who can grow the biggest pumpkin

Cherwell District Council results
Labour 10
Lib-Dem 10
Conservatives 9
Green 3
Independent 2

I appreciate that my political views riled a few on the stadium thread, but could I suggest that those of you in Cherwell with a new councillor - *particularly if they are a LD* - email them as soon as you can and make clear your thoughts on, and support for, the stadium?

I’d expect contact details to be up for their CDC email addresses early next week, it you could use social media in the mean time.

With no single party with a majority at CDC now, there will be all sorts of wheeling and dealing to try and get together a ruling group of some sort.

I would strongly suggest:

A) Making very clear your support for the stadium, and why it is so desperately needed. Copy and paste from your submission to the planning portal if needs be.

B) Asking your new Cllrs opinion on the stadium development. They won’t give a direct answer in case they end up on the planning committee, but ask anyway. If they don’t have a strong view either way but enough of the people in their wards do, that will get back to the group at CDC.

C) Make clear how upset you as a constituent would be if they went in to any kind of coalition with the Greens that might delay or scupper the stadium plans. Likewise, they should not contemplate an alliance with the Greens that in any way includes an agreement to support the Greens on stadium-related matters.

D) Ask that any cross-part agreement they reach includes a commitment to get OUFC to the triangle.

E) Request that - given the time constraints attached to the Kassam agreement - that the Planning Committee consider the club’s application at the earliest possible opportunity.

Lobbying prospective cllrs is all well and good, but the Cllrs we have *now* are the ones who will decide the future of the club, and so we *have* to make an overwhelming case for its positive impact across the county.

If you have a Labour cllr *ask them to ensure that a commitment to the development* forms part of any alliance they enter.

The greens and LDs don’t have enough combined seats to lead a majority administration, and the greens and indies don’t have enough combined seats to crown either LD or Labour as de facto leaders of the council, so it could be a bit of a weird one.

✌️

Back
Top Bottom