Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Given what some of the fans on here are (still) like despite being through to the play-off finals it's amazing any of the players wanted to meet us even halfway.

You say 'it's amazing any of the players wanted to meet us halfway' like we're a bunch of wild animals. The players would've got it a lot worse overall at many other football clubs. I think a lot of our fans have been pretty reasonable, and generally we're a supportive and patient fan base.

Dale has been an excellent signing for a few reasons. He's a decent player but also can be relied upon to be ready and fit. On top of that he's made a real effort to connect with the fans. I can't remember the last time a player made such an obvious effort on that front, and it has gone a long way to getting everyone pulling together.

Look, the performance levels were way below acceptable for a big chunk of the season. I don't hold it against the players now, I didn't shout abuse etc, I was just underwhelmed and pretty down in the dumps with it all.
At 5k plus a week to play football, the least I expect is for players to perform, to try, run around and give everything they have. They are now, but I'm not sorry for those expectations from day 1 - uninterrupted.

Look, the performance levels were way below acceptable for a big chunk of the season. I don't hold it against the players now, I didn't shout abuse etc, I was just underwhelmed and pretty down in the dumps with it all.
At 5k plus a week to play football, the least I expect is for players to perform, to try, run around and give everything they have. They are now, but I'm not sorry for those expectations from day 1 - uninterrupted.

As I said I can't imagine why certain posters feel the need to continually make this fairly underwhelming point on the Des Buckingham thread in the week when we are 1 game away from the Championship

Colin Murray in his Radio 5 interview with DB recognised that it's difficult for a manager to take over an overperforming squad in the middle of the season.-

I should add that that squad was severely weakened fwhen it lost its outstanding loanees - a brilliant goalkeeper who went to the league above and a pacy winger who created the second most of our assists- as well as so many first team players through injury.

Why not give it as break - at least until next season?

You say 'it's amazing any of the players wanted to meet us halfway' like we're a bunch of wild animals. The players would've got it a lot worse overall at many other football clubs. I think a lot of our fans have been pretty reasonable, and generally we're a supportive and patient fan base.

Dale has been an excellent signing for a few reasons. He's a decent player but also can be relied upon to be ready and fit. On top of that he's made a real effort to connect with the fans. I can't remember the last time a player made such an obvious effort on that front, and it has gone a long way to getting everyone pulling together.

Agree about his endeavour and the connection he's forged with the fans BUT, where it matters, I'd like to see him deliver more. He doesn't too often get past his man and his final ball leaves a bit to be desired, there's a reason he's continually the one making way for a sub around the 60-70 minute mark. Good player but will be a squad player at best a level up.

Agree about his endeavour and the connection he's forged with the fans BUT, where it matters, I'd like to see him deliver more. He doesn't too often get past his man and his final ball leaves a bit to be desired, there's a reason he's continually the one making way for a sub around the 60-70 minute mark. Good player but will be a squad player at best a level up.
He's so often substituted because he's ran himself into the ground after doing a lot of the defensive work that clearly goes unnoticed! The job of a winger isn't just to beat a man and put a cross in. He often drops inside and wins the second ball to prevent a counter attack. He's quality, and one of the most 'complete' wide men we have had in recent years. We wouldn't be in the play-off final without him. Class act.

He's so often substituted because he's ran himself into the ground after doing a lot of the defensive work that clearly goes unnoticed! The job of a winger isn't just to beat a man and put a cross in. He often drops inside and wins the second ball to prevent a counter attack. He's quality, and one of the most 'complete' wide men we have had in recent years. We wouldn't be in the play-off final without him. Class act.

Your view, fair enough, it's a game of opinions. Personally, I'm not seeing him as one of the most 'complete wide men' we've had but I respect your view. To me, he very often fronts the man up, goes on the outside and gets dispossessed. All our wide players put a shift in defensively in my opinion. Wouldn't be in the play off final with out him - OK, interesting opinion but not one I share. I like the player, just don't think he's as good or as productive as you're making out. (y)

As I said I can't imagine why certain posters feel the need to continually make this fairly underwhelming point on the Des Buckingham thread in the week when we are 1 game away from the Championship

Colin Murray in his Radio 5 interview with DB recognised that it's difficult for a manager to take over an overperforming squad in the middle of the season.-

I should add that that squad was severely weakened fwhen it lost its outstanding loanees - a brilliant goalkeeper who went to the league above and a pacy winger who created the second most of our assists- as well as so many first team players through injury.

Why not give it as break - at least until next season?
That Derby match on New Years Day will stay with me. Our players were the walking wounded and still gave absolutely everything. I think I was pretty close to getting a call up given the amount of injuries.

I don't think anyone is rewriting history and I don't think anyone is saying it was a matter of time.

What I think a lot of people are rightly saying is that, not everything going wrong on the pitch up to and including Bolton was Des's fault and he was having to deal with a lot of farcical issues post-Manning due to the incompetence above him.

The support he received from Williams and Ferguson in those first couple of months was not right and it was embarrassing watching the assistant manager debacle play out in public. The Bolton performance backed him into a corner and he's come out firing on all cylinders. It's even more power to Des that he's been able to turn it around DESPITE the obstacles put in front of him.

This is a man who has taken us to Wembley after finding out his dream job wasn't the perfect scenario he hoped it would be and has been vindicated for sticking with it despite taking dog's abuse from some fans. Most of us are just delighted for him for coming through it and for seeing an Oxford boy thrive, I don't see much 'I told you so' tonight.
and don't forget the issues with the training ground - couldn't use it due to flooding, think they are still in temporary buildings (not that there is much more the board could do to help, so more just act of god).

How dare you! dont you ever, EVER discuss transfer news on the forum dedicated to Des Buckingham get a grip you melt. Yours sincerely, Ian
Hey, xx. I know you are probably having a bad day so I will let you off this once. However I am in fact not a melt, but a lovely human being with a large breadth of people who love me for who I am, and being a melt is not one of those reasons. Politely DO ONE.

oh yes I do. I know our January was poor, but I have known Des for a long time now and first met him in Oxford (his first time round) and kept in touch. He told me that he intends on loaning Bergvall, (the 18 year old going to spurs) and a very good RB he didn't tell me the name of.
I’m watching Bergvall right now playing for Djurgården against Brommapojkarna (my local club) - he just scored a banger of a goal and would be quite exciting.

Your view, fair enough, it's a game of opinions. Personally, I'm not seeing him as one of the most 'complete wide men' we've had but I respect your view. To me, he very often fronts the man up, goes on the outside and gets dispossessed. All our wide players put a shift in defensively in my opinion. Wouldn't be in the play off final with out him - OK, interesting opinion but not one I share. I like the player, just don't think he's as good or as productive as you're making out. (y)
We wouldn't be in the play off finals without him 100% .
Quality player who is Championship standard.

Back
Top Bottom