Home Match Day Thread 18/4/2023 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cambridge are definitely the biggest threat to us,after Plymouth on saturday they've got 3 winnable games left.We NEED to win a game asap.....Barnsley aren't Barcelona so maybe that long over due win is on the horizon

Cambridge are definitely the biggest threat to us,after Plymouth on saturday they've got 3 winnable games left.We NEED to win a game asap.....Barnsley aren't Barcelona so maybe that long over due win is on the horizon
V Barnsley in all comps.

Games won:7
Games drawn:6
Games lost:13

In short I’d rather trust Manning than some of the tactical gurus on this forum.
You were also still backing Robinson until a few weeks before the end so sarcastically calling people who disagree with a managers decisions "tactical gurus" is pretty rich. They're human beings too who make mistakes and it's not being negative to admit that. For the most part Manning did a great job last night, we were set up well and got better but that doesn't mean it can't be better. I can't believe there was anyone in the stadium who couldn't see that G'OD was done at least 10 minutes before he was taken off but we persisted with him while he couldn't run and was too tired to do anything as his technique has gone as well. We had two promising attacks break down with him, once because his control let him down and it bounced off him and another when he passed the ball directly to their defender when we had a man free of the left who'd almost have been through one on one.

I agree with most the rest of your post but I don't get why people pretend to have seen something different for the sake of positivity. Everyone entitled to their opinion of course but if you were watching and really didn't see that G'OD was blowing long before he came off and it was costing us then I'd suggest you'd be in a pretty small minority.

Last edited:
Maybe Manning thinks that with him on, the opposition would just Picasso-part
No, I heard Smith had an argument with Manning about us drawing all the time, and Manning couldn’t palettte this and told Smith he needed to brush up on his finishing/touches etc, so basically we’re back to the drawing board.

I was told this by someone apparently ITK, so this account might be a bit sketchy in places. Whatever has happened though doesn’t paint a good picture for Smith getting any game time anytime soon.

With the players at his disposal, Manning set is up well. The players were at it from the off, there can be no complaints about the amount of effort. They gave it their all. Overall it was a heartening performance.

Good to see Bodin back, he could be an important player for us in the final 4 matches.

But as we all know if you don’t score goals you don’t win football matches, and if we don’t win football matches we‘ll be playing in League 2 next season.

To send Taylor out on loan to Vale was a cretinous decision. That’s not hindsight, many thought so at the time.

Looks like the final relegated spot will between Cambridge, MK and ourselves. It could easily go to the last game of the season. Squeaky bum time.

Not saying Tyler Smith is our hero-in-waiting but I find it incredibly frustrating that Manning won't at least give him a chance, even 20-30 minutes of match time.
If there's been beef then leave it in the dressing room or manager's office for now and pick the best options available.
Any inquiries need to be put on hold until the last game is played and all options at least tried before discarding or freezing out players!
Maybe the apparent 'bad attitude' wins games.

Firstly, what an enjoyable game that was! I was nervous throughout but for the first time in a long time really enjoyed the way we went about it.

Key points like missing chances, Pompey being very average (or did the way we play make them look average?) have already been made but one thing I noticed from my seat high in the North Stand was it is obvious who is comfortable on the ball in our team and who isn't.

For me Findlay and Long were excellent defensively, but at times the quality of the passing wasn't as good as others. Passes were hit too firmly, out of play etc. I do think we'd be a totally different team if we didn't have 4 centre backs across the back line, last night we created a number of chances despite that but normally I think we will need more composed perfromances in the full back area. That might be slightly harsh on Ciaran Brown who does offer something, but overall if we want to challenge then we need to improve in those areas.

If Long, Moore, Findlay and Brown were the 4 competing for 2 or 3 centre back spots next year then I would not be unhappy. I like Findlay's commitement but think he is the wrong sort of centre back for us at this moment in time, swap him out for a ball playing centre back and let those 4 fight it out then we'd be in good shape.

It was so nice to really enjoy the football we played. Credit for the team for keeping going, those that missed chances did not shy away.

ps I love the way Tyler Goodrham buzzes around players, nicks the ball and then travels with it. Looks a real player to me!

You were also still backing Robinson until a few weeks before the end so sarcastically calling people who disagree with a managers decisions "tactical gurus" is pretty rich. They're human beings too who make mistakes and it's not being negative to admit that. For the most part Manning did a great job last night, we were set up well and got better but that doesn't mean it can't be better. I can't believe there was anyone in the stadium who couldn't see that G'OD was done at least 10 minutes before he was taken off but we persisted with him while he couldn't run and was too tired to do anything as his technique has gone as well. We had two promising attacks break down with him, once because his control let him down and it bounced off him and another when he passed the ball directly to their defender when we had a man free of the left who'd almost have been through one on one.

I agree with most the rest of your post but I don't get why people pretend to have seen something different for the sake of positivity. Everyone entitled to their opinion of course but if you were watching and really didn't see that G'OD was blowing long before he came off and it was costing us then I'd suggest you'd be in a pretty small minority.
Wildschut coming on cost us more than O’D coming off.
No sarcasm intended. Manning’s the manager and he sees the squad in action every day in training. We don’t.

Disgusting behaviour

Still quite curious about Smiths lack of minutes though. He obviously isn’t doing enough in training otherwise he would play surely. Mind you, in the limited time that I’ve seen him I thought he was rubbish.

I am just so angry that Matty Taylor is still not with us. When he was here he got no service, if he was here IMO we would already be pretty safe. That bloody clown really stuffed us and it's even more annoying that he was allowed to do so by our leaders.

His career here was over two months ago.

It will be interesting to see if Manning wants him back again

His career here was over two months ago.

It will be interesting to see if Manning wants him back again

Not sure. His age and the need to offer him a much reduced wage would probably scupper it I imagine.

Darrell Clarke being sacked probably reduces the likelihood of him signing for Vale somewhat (assuming he hasn't already penned a deal with them to kick in from the Summer).

My assumption is that Manning will want a fresh start and it will of course be really affected by what division we're in!

Back
Top Bottom