Home Match Day Thread 23/09/2023 L1: OUFC v Exeter City

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've already played 5 of the current Top 10 -and we're on course for 103.5 points.

Of course I don't expect us to get 100+ points - and the current Top 10 won't be the final Top 10.

But we're doing incredibly well. And as you say, there feels like more to come.

And yet, I'll bet you any money you want, they'll be a plethora of posters telling us how they'll 'take a point' at Stevenage next weekend.

Like we need to rein it in, don't get ahead of ourselves. It's nonsense.

This is it guys, this is what promotion chasing feels like.

Embrace it. Run with it. Push it on.

That professional winning mentality extends to the fans.

Was there a plethora of posters telling us that we'd take a point against Exeter?

The only negativity since the Barnsley/Derby wins has generally been a bit tongue in cheek - "I predicted defeats for those games, so I'll keep my run going!"

There is a quiet confidence amongst our fanbase that hasn't been seen in years, if at all this early in to a season. Whatever a "professional winning mentally" looks like for a fan is already shared by thousands.

The second half yesterday started slowly with us conceding space and possession to Exeter. We appeared content to let them have the ball in our half but to keep them to less dangerous areas. The first 20 minutes of that half, we barely got out of our half. But the crowd didn't panic or get on the teams back. They could see that playing with discipline and patience would allow us to both contain a decent Exeter side and also create opportunities to play on the break with numbers when the chance arose. And we did exactly that with two of three excellent moves before the late penalties.

As a fanbase, we have evolved in the same way as the team under Manning and there is a calmness and confidence at every level on matchdays now.

But that doesn't mean that "not getting ahead of ourselves" is nonsense. There are 38 games to go and there's absolutely nothing wrong with just being able to enjoy each game for now after the last 18 months.

We're making good teams look ordinary, and I'm confident that we'll do the same against Stevenage and come away with all three points. I'm as positive as anyone, and have taken stick for this approach from many on here for years. But even I'm holding back on plans for a promotion parade and just living in the moment for now. It's still a great place to be.

Ok I’ll say it. Even though it’s only September.

Beadle is not a good keeper.

He’s in fact already the BEST keeper we’ve ever had. He’s the biggest factor behind our superb start. He looked unbeatable today.

Plus CamBran’s on fire. Your defence is terrified.

Exeter were actually totally hapless in front of goal, thought it was comfortable the whole game.

COYY, we had clarity, we had good behaviours.
You had me in the first half, not gonna lie.

Am I meant to be covering my mouth with my hand when I’m talking to my mate at the ground?

And taking on fluids whenever there’s a break in play?
Break in play is usually a pretty good time to get rid of fluids in my experience.
Without seeing the stats on Long and Brown, I wouldn't be unsurprised if they lost the ball more than any other players.
“Wouldn’t be unsurprised” is my new favourite phrase.
Just home, great win. Symbolic of a team that’s going to be amongst it this year. First goal was sensational and the penalty win from Murphy was excellent, he should be doing that to defenders weekly with his ability. Good to see.

Exeter had bags of the ball but looked like a team in transition, had the possession game nailed down but didn’t really threaten all that much and we gave them the space to go side to side as much as they wanted. We won a different way today.

Motm was tricky but thought Brannagan was good all afternoon and the first penalty was a huge moment as we were under pressure at 1-0.

Full backs still worry me, sorry. Long’s best moment was wiping out their winger when flying through the centre - essential he did that. But again, we’ve got a very good win so no harm done.

Special mention for Kyle Edwards. I haven’t seen a winger as good as him 1 vs 1 for some time and the numbers are there, too. His end product is showing now - 3 consecutive games with goal contributions.
I think you knew this would distract from the good home win when you said it :ROFLMAO:

I am a tad worried about Stevenage I must say, but only because we often seem to struggle against the dirty tricks sides.

If we draw with Stevenage then beat Shrewsbury (or vice versa) that will be great start to the season, not certain that taking a point in some games is a disaster.

Has any team ever gone 46 games without a draw? I wish we would of held on for the point against Port Vale.

Break in play is usually a pretty good time to get rid of fluids in my experience.
I quite agree. Sometimes I’ll even walk down to the toilets before I do so.

Coincidentally, I missed the only goal against Carlisle and our first at Derby as I needed to go to the toilet.

Until we got the second at Derby (which I did see) I was starting to wonder if I was going to miss every single one of our goals all season

Admittedly it’s not at that extreme which I see a huge positive in. Eastwood is a poor goalkeeper for L1. Brown and Long are not poor by the same definition, just lacking/limited meaning they restrict our play in certain ways. But the positive I’m eluding to is that while 6 months ago one of the many bad things about our team was a nightmare between the sticks, today the only issue I can really see is that we have full backs who are only effective at one half of the game - not a bad problem to have, but it is (or could be) a problem. I don’t expect too much of them, just kick it to a team mate a bit more consistently and put a semi respectable cross in when called upon.
You keep banging on about Eastwood being a poor keeper, and most people were in agreement it was a position we needed too look to improve in, but he's nowhere near as bad as you make out, he's a good keeper, who would get into a lot of league one sides, so we should consider ourselves lucky to have a keeper of his quality and experience as our No 2.

As for Long and Brown, you keep raising points which actually negate your argument! They may not be barnstorming fullbacks, but being as defensively sound as they are (which you yourself accept) they allow the wingers in front of them to play with the freedom that wingers should have, and we're reaping the benefits of that. For the first time in years, we actually have capable wingers who are playing with freedom and producing, and our defensively solid fullbacks are a big reason for that.

During our 2015/16 promotion season, we had Joe Skarz at LB, one of the best left backs this club has had, but he offered very little going forwards, but his defensive solidity allowed the winger in front of him to play with absolute freedom, and things didn't turn out too badly that season did it?

Long and Brown both get forward a lot more than Skarz ever did, maybe not in the same way Cadden or Baldock did, but with the wingers they now have in front of them it's not so imperative that they do, they can simply provide support to the wingers, rather than do half the wingers jobs for them, whilst being so defensively sound, that likewise the wingers aren't being encumbered by the responsibility to relentlessly track back to help the full back defend, or cover the full back who's bombed on down the wing.

It's working, and this way they can provide support to each other, and the wingers can be wingers, and the fullbacks can be fullbacks.

Long and Brown have so far been major, solid components in a very strong defensive unit, and to suggest they're in any way a weak link or anyone else should currently be starting ahead of them, is madness. If it ain't broke...

That said, if their form drops, Stevens and Leigh will be waiting to step in, and both will play their part this season, and in certain games their more forward thinking styles of play may be favourable to Long and Browns more conservative approach, but it seems like you're desperately trying to find fault in what is currently a fully functioning side, whilst stubbornly trying to cling on to opinions which are so far turning out to be wrong. Let it go!

Dog with a bone comes to mind

If we draw with Stevenage then beat Shrewsbury (or vice versa) that will be great start to the season, not certain that taking a point in some games is a disaster.

Has any team ever gone 46 games without a draw? I wish we would have held on for the point against Port Vale.
Even two draws would give us 20 points for the first ten games of the season - An average of 2 points a game. I’m pretty sure we would all have taken that before the season started!

Coincidentally, I missed the only goal against Carlisle and our first at Derby as I needed to go to the toilet.

Until we got the second at Derby (which I did see) I was starting to wonder if I was going to miss every single one of our goals all season
The doctor can give you tablets to help with that MJB and also give you a lovely soothing test that Ryan would absolutely love.

In my experience, Fawasports is excellent as if they list a game as being available just before kickoff, it’ll be streamed. Games that aren’t being streamed (like our one today) just aren’t listed, which is much better than the disingenuous sites that put up links leading nowhere just for the ad clicks
It was listed prior to kickoff but then disappeared.

Well considering Long and Brown have been solid 7-7.5/10 performers and virtual ever presents in every game so far this season, in a team that only one other team has scored more goals than, and only two teams have conceded less than, and the only game that neither played in, we lost, suggests you might need to have a little rethink a lot sooner than you might like to admit.
Our patched up team with no strikers and four centre halves has won 3-0 two weeks in a row. Imagine how good we’ll be when we get the first team out.

You keep banging on about Eastwood being a poor keeper, and most people were in agreement it was a position we needed too look to improve in, but he's nowhere near as bad as you make out, he's a good keeper, who would get into a lot of league one sides, so we should consider ourselves lucky to have a keeper of his quality and experience as our No 2.

As for Long and Brown, you keep raising points which actually negate your argument! They may not be barnstorming fullbacks, but being as defensively sound as they are (which you yourself accept) they allow the wingers in front of them to play with the freedom that wingers should have, and we're reaping the benefits of that. For the first time in years, we actually have capable wingers who are playing with freedom and producing, and our defensively solid fullbacks are a big reason for that.

During our 2015/16 promotion season, we had Joe Skarz at LB, one of the best left backs this club has had, but he offered very little going forwards, but his defensive solidity allowed the winger in front of him to play with absolute freedom, and things didn't turn out too badly that season did it?

Long and Brown both get forward a lot more than Skarz ever did, maybe not in the same way Cadden or Baldock did, but with the wingers they now have in front of them it's not so imperative that they do, they can simply provide support to the wingers, rather than do half the wingers jobs for them, whilst being so defensively sound, that likewise the wingers aren't being encumbered by the responsibility to relentlessly track back to help the full back defend, or cover the full back who's bombed on down the wing.

It's working, and this way they can provide support to each other, and the wingers can be wingers, and the fullbacks can be fullbacks.

Long and Brown have so far been major, solid components in a very strong defensive unit, and to suggest they're in any way a weak link or anyone else should currently be starting ahead of them, is madness. If it ain't broke...

That said, if their form drops, Stevens and Leigh will be waiting to step in, and both will play their part this season, and in certain games their more forward thinking styles of play may be favourable to Long and Browns more conservative approach, but it seems like you're desperately trying to find fault in what is currently a fully functioning side, whilst stubbornly trying to cling on to opinions which are so far turning out to be wrong. Let it go!

Dog with a bone comes to mind
Disagree with first paragraph, he was that bad. Very bad. He made a few excellent saves but I’d expect that over the course of 50 games.

Second paragraph just tells me this is all misunderstood. I’ve made too many posts about it to dig out but I said right at the start of the season that our full back situation, in a forward sense, could be remedied (masked) by more productive wingers. That was before Edwards had signed and before Mills had bedded in. So yes, it is working significantly better than it was last season when they played behind two very unproductive wide players and arguably the start of this season when vs Cambridge and Carlisle in particular, we struggled to get anything going.

I have acknowledged this fact time and time again and said I wouldn’t change it for next week. Indeed, as you say, if it ain’t broke. My point is we could be even better if we could keep what we had defensively while also adding at least some measurable quality on the ball in those positions whereby we don’t concede possession through unforced errors that don’t seem to be in the repertoire as significantly in the other 9 players.

Also disagree with the last bit since yet again I sent a pretty gushing review of the game full of positives with just the one thing that continues to bother me. I’m just as entitled to that as anybody who wants to give them a 10/10 motm rating when they were anything but.

As I’ve said, I’ll just leave it out from now on as it’s a misunderstood point that I’m having to justify too often and my coffee is going cold.

Our patched up team with no strikers and four centre halves has won 3-0 two weeks in a row. Imagine how good we’ll be when we get the first team out.
No criticism of anyone whatsoever from me, but imagine if we had Devante Cole or someone like him as another squad striker option right now. That additional quality and pacy squad striker would make us almost unplayable at times.

I do wonder if Perkins will be returned in Jan, not even making the bench yesterday you’d have to question whats happening with him, as once Harris is back and GO’D fit again, then he’s going to struggle for any game time whatsoever based on his time with us so far.

Disagree with first paragraph, he was that bad. Very bad. He made a few excellent saves but I’d expect that over the course of 50 games.

Second paragraph just tells me this is all misunderstood. I’ve made too many posts about it to dig out but I said right at the start of the season that our full back situation, in a forward sense, could be remedied (masked) by more productive wingers. That was before Edwards had signed and before Mills had bedded in. So yes, it is working significantly better than it was last season when they played behind two very unproductive wide players and arguably the start of this season when vs Cambridge and Carlisle in particular, we struggled to get anything going.

I have acknowledged this fact time and time again and said I wouldn’t change it for next week. Indeed, as you say, if it ain’t broke. My point is we could be even better if we could keep what we had defensively while also adding at least some measurable quality on the ball in those positions whereby we don’t concede possession through unforced errors that don’t seem to be in the repertoire as significantly in the other 9 players.

Also disagree with the last bit since yet again I sent a pretty gushing review of the game full of positives with just the one thing that continues to bother me. I’m just as entitled to that as anybody who wants to give them a 10/10 motm rating when they were anything but.

As I’ve said, I’ll just leave it out from now on as it’s a misunderstood point that I’m having to justify too often and my coffee is going cold.
Under the previous moron we had in charge, who obviously interfered too much in the coaching side of things, our defence was a shambles last season, and Eastwood was one of the main reasons we DIDN'T get relegated last season. Our goal difference was so superior to all the other clubs around us because of Eastwood, who kept the score from being a cricket score every game, and we came away from a number of games with a point, thanks to his saves, which ultimately saved us.
Yes it was time for an upgrade, but I think you're being very disrespectful to someone who has been a great servant to our club.

You keep referring to the Cambridge game, but it was the very first game of the season, and the team was still settling in, and very few teams seasons are reflected by their first game, and to be used as a reference to support your argument 7 games later, when we've been superb ever since, is clutching at straws somewhat.

I also don't know what games you're watching, to suggest Long and Brown are always giving the ball away and conceding possession. Players lose possession all the time, all over the pitch, and I will in fact put money on it that they've conceded possession no more often than any other player in the side, probably even less so in fact.

Long and Brown will be at fault for some goals conceded this season, as will Moore, Thorniley, Negru and Beadle, that's what happens when you're a defender. There will also be games when they will provide quality assists for goals we score, but as things stand, they're performing very well , and until we start seeing a pattern of costly mistakes from either of them, I think you need to give them a break.

Enjoy your coffee ;)

You must be the guy who was pissing all over his mate's shoes at the top of the "temporary" stand at Gillingham a few seasons back. Rank.

• Sad
Reactions: MJB
I do wonder if Perkins will be returned in Jan, not even making the bench yesterday you’d have to question whats happening with him, as once Harris is back and GO’D fit again, then he’s going to struggle for any game time whatsoever based on his time with us so far.
Manning made a comment after the game about players needing to take whatever chances they were given, suggested to me he was left out to send a message after the midweek game.

This little stretch without Harris or GOD would have been a great opportunity, but he’s young and there’s plenty more games even until January.

Manning made a comment after the game about players needing to take whatever chances they were given, suggested to me he was left out to send a message after the midweek game.

This little stretch without Harris or GOD would have been a great opportunity, but he’s young and there’s plenty more games even until January.
It’s worked with others - Murphy at the end of last season being a good example - so hopefully it does the trick again.

Back
Top Bottom