Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sub: Smyth

• No one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that Murphy might not be match sharp given how little that he has played over the last few years but if what I saw on Friday was him giving it his all then we have a bigger problem than effort and commitment, he just might not be much good because as he really didn’t contribute much against a pretty sluggish defence.

Given how much he once moved for and where he has played you can be forgiven for expecting more, at the moment he doesn’t actually look anything much at all, hopefully their is more to come from him.

I don’t appreciate Murphy’s effort (or lack of) in his time at the club any more than the rest. But I think when a new manager comes in and talks openly and regularly about attitudes and behaviours and subsequently puts Murphy in his team from the off, it tells you that he’s demonstrating those things at the moment. Manning will not put his own head on the block for a player he doesn’t know or believes isn’t trying. I’m judging through the lens of ‘this stable, sensible, intelligent manager thinks he’s doing fine’. That’s good enough for me at the moment.

Manning has got him to start 3 successive games so there is quite obviously a bond there already where they want to help each other. Hard not to be encouraged by that.

His performances have to improve but I don’t see a lazy player, I see a player down on confidence (who isn’t at OUFC?) that isn’t really enjoying his football as much as he could. To use the Under Armour slogan - the only way is through. He has to play.

Along with very, very limited alternatives and the relative certainty he is an Oxford player next year, I personally completely agree with his selection in the team. We either need to get a tune out of him or put him in the shop window. He’s more likely to attract takers if he’s regularly fit… keep that in mind.

I’m not concerned about what people think of Murphy. We all have different opinions - that’s football.

I just dislike the knuckle-draggers in the row behind me in the East Stand who chant “what a waste of money” at games whenever he happens to miscontrol the ball or gets subbed.

It’s pathetic behaviour and doesn’t help the player or the team.

Frankly, I’d prefer it if absolute weapons like them stayed away. They’re soft as s**t when they’re confronted about it - typical bullies who give it the big one in groups but the a**e falls out of their trousers when challenged.

Let’s vocally get behind the whole squad at games for the next month - it’s in all our interests to do so.

I’m not concerned about what people think of Murphy. We all have different opinions - that’s football.

I just dislike the knuckle-draggers in the row behind me in the East Stand who chant “what a waste of money” at games whenever he happens to miscontrol the ball or gets subbed.

It’s pathetic behaviour and doesn’t help the player or the team.

Frankly, I’d prefer it if absolute weapons like them stayed away. They’re soft as s**t when they’re confronted about it - typical bullies who give it the big one in groups but the a**e falls out of their trousers when challenged.

Let’s vocally get behind the whole squad at games for the next month - it’s in all our interests to do so.
Totally agree. Since covid it feels like there has been a significant decline in the behaviour of a growing minority of fans. There have always been comments that are questionable and actions that are boisterous - it's football not the opera etc.

But whether to do with the down turn on the pitch and general apathy amongst some fans, or just me getting older and more miserable, but it does feel like there are ever increasing numbers of dickheads in our numbers.

It's even worse at away games and I'm not sure that I'd take my kids to many away games at the moment unless I could be sure to keep us away from muppets. And as for "limbs" give it a rest!! Wild, uncontrollable joy at the scoring of a goal is a wonderful organic moment. Rolling around on top of people whilst hoping that your knock off Stone Island badge doesn't fall off is just being a c***!

But maybe I'm just getting old and tired!!

His performances have to improve but I don’t see a lazy player, I see a player down on confidence (who isn’t at OUFC?) that isn’t really enjoying his football as much as he could. To use the Under Armour slogan - the only way is through. He has to play.
Why? Regardless of support given to him or his new renewed attitude of looking sort of bothered, he's shown nothing all season bar a good 30 minutes just over three months ago. Prior to that he's barely played for the last couple of years so it's not as if he's been tearing it up recently.
Along with very, very limited alternatives and the relative certainty he is an Oxford player next year,
If we're playing wingers then Browne and Joseph are both miles ahead of him, I'd say I've seen more from Goodrham this season than Murphy too. Otherwise we could play 5 at the back and take wingers out of the equation completely, either are preferable to carrying people.
I personally completely agree with his selection in the team. We either need to get a tune out of him or put him in the shop window. He’s more likely to attract takers if he’s regularly fit… keep that in mind.
Unfortunately I think we're lumbered with him for another year. Maybe he'll come back refreshed and up for it next year in which case great, we'll get something from him. We've got a battle on to stay up this season,putting someone in the shop window shouldn't even be a consideration. We need to think short term, here and now and I don't think he justifies a place.

Totally agree. Since covid it feels like there has been a significant decline in the behaviour of a growing minority of fans. There have always been comments that are questionable and actions that are boisterous - it's football not the opera etc.

But whether to do with the down turn on the pitch and general apathy amongst some fans, or just me getting older and more miserable, but it does feel like there are ever increasing numbers of dickheads in our numbers.

It's even worse at away games and I'm not sure that I'd take my kids to many away games at the moment unless I could be sure to keep us away from muppets. And as for "limbs" give it a rest!! Wild, uncontrollable joy at the scoring of a goal is a wonderful organic moment. Rolling around on top of people whilst hoping that your knock off Stone Island badge doesn't fall off is just being a c***!

But maybe I'm just getting old and tired!!
I had the same conversation with a mate about our away fans and he has actually decided against taking his daughter to away games at the moment due to a small group of our fan base who seem to think they can say and do what ever they want.
It was embarrassing at times away at Morecambe having to listen to them.

As some else said though, if they were confronted without their mates they would wet themselves!

Unfortunately you just have to see on social media that it is now ‘fashionable’ to be a prick.

And he's given better performances than many are giving him credit for.

Wasn't it Murphy's shot the 'keeper parried, that led to the 'foul' on Browne, which led to the penalty, which CamBran scored from?

Sort of a 2nd assist, twice removed.

Or something.

Why? Regardless of support given to him or his new renewed attitude of looking sort of bothered, he's shown nothing all season bar a good 30 minutes just over three months ago. Prior to that he's barely played for the last couple of years so it's not as if he's been tearing it up recently.

If we're playing wingers then Browne and Joseph are both miles ahead of him, I'd say I've seen more from Goodrham this season than Murphy too. Otherwise we could play 5 at the back and take wingers out of the equation completely, either are preferable to carrying people.

Unfortunately I think we're lumbered with him for another year. Maybe he'll come back refreshed and up for it next year in which case great, we'll get something from him. We've got a battle on to stay up this season,putting someone in the shop window shouldn't even be a consideration. We need to think short term, here and now and I don't think he justifies a place.
By ‘has to play’ I don’t mean by rights, I mean it’s the only way he’ll ever get better.

Murphy is an easy target for obvious reasons and he certainly hasn’t helped himself. Joseph works his socks off but probably culpable for losing the ball more than any other OUFC player. I suspect it’s close between him and Sam Long.

Your third point is a major reason why I think he’s playing. Sure, it feels like we’re lumbered with him right now but if Manning can get something from him then who knows, we may be blessed with him! A stretch, I know, but I totally understand why he’s trying when he is taking up such a chunk of the budget for the foreseeable.

I’m not saying the negative opinions are wrong in the slightest but at a time when we need everybody we can get and he’s not actually doing a lot wrong, I think it’s moaning for the sake of moaning. He hasn’t been brilliant but has he been that bad? I don’t think so at all.

We’ve started to turn the tide on results and he’s part of that whether people choose to admit that or not. Would we have won any of those games if he didn’t play? Doubt it. Would we have lost? Doubt that too. I suggest we just get off his back and trust Manning’s judgement.

Last edited:
By ‘has to play’ I don’t mean by rights, I mean it’s the only way he’ll ever get better.

Murphy is an easy target for obvious reasons and he certainly hasn’t helped himself. Joseph works his socks off but probably culpable for losing the ball more than any other OUFC player. I suspect it’s close between him and Sam Long.

Your third point is a major reason why I think he’s playing. Sure, it feels like we’re lumbered with him right now but if Manning can get something from him then who knows, we may be blessed with him! A stretch, I know, but I totally understand why he’s trying when he is taking up such a chunk of the budget for the foreseeable.

I’m not saying the negative opinions are wrong in the slightest but at a time when we need everybody we can get and he’s not actually doing a lot wrong, I think it’s moaning for the sake of moaning. He hasn’t been brilliant but has he been that bad? I don’t think so at all.

We’ve started to turn the tide on results and he’s part of that whether people choose to admit that or not. Would we have won any of those games if he didn’t play? Doubt it. Would we have lost? Doubt that too. I suggest we just get off his back and trust Manning’s judgement.

I think we should play whoever gives us the most chance of staying up, whether that’s Murphy or not, if we are playing Murphy to put him in the shop window during a relegation battle then that is absolutely mental.

If he plays Monday then it’s down to him actually make something happen, we are against one of the few teams as poor as we are so no excuses.

I think we should play whoever gives us the most chance of staying up, whether that’s Murphy or not, if we are playing Murphy to put him in the shop window during a relegation battle then that is absolutely mental.

If he plays Monday then it’s down to him actually make something happen, we are against one of the few teams as poor as we are so no excuses.
I’m not suggesting it’s the only reason, crikey. But I think it’s a factor as to why he’s getting a second chance when many feel he should be rotting away on the bench.

But this isn’t really a fair assessment when his primary focus, as with the whole team, is to hold a shape and be part of a structure. Opportunities to express himself are completely limited - that may change on Monday, of course. He’s doing exactly what’s being asked of him but because it’s not goals and assists yet, he’s deemed the one who should go. Yanic was infinitely worse and got hooked at half time in this game. Long has been our worst performer for about the last 5 or 6 games yet escapes this level of criticism.

We may never get the best out of him but I can’t see why there is this sudden wave of hate when he’s started 3 games and put in steady performances and played his part.

Last edited:

I think at this stage of the season and the need of results I see little point in getting on the player’s backs.

Every one of our players is culpable for the position we find ourselves in. Everyone of them has been below par but right now we just have to trust Manning’s judgement and get behind the team.
Manning hasn’t done a lot wrong since he came in and we have got 2 very good points against Peterborough & Wednesday when most said we wouldn’t even get 1 point.

But this isn’t really a fair assessment when his primary focus, as with the whole team, is to hold a shape and be part of a structure. Opportunities to express himself are completely limited - that may change on Monday, of course. He’s doing exactly what’s being asked of him but because it’s not goals and assists yet, he’s deemed the one who should go. Yanic was infinitely worse and got hooked at half time in this game.
I think it's a bit of a cop out to say his role is just to hold the shape, as a winger he needs to do something. If he does something against Port Vale does this mean he's gone against the manager's instructions? Yanic was worse, although not infinitely, neither should be in the team in my book.
Long has been our worst performer for about the last 5 or 6 games yet escapes this level of criticism.
Yes, however...
We’ve started to turn the tide on results and he’s part of that whether people choose to admit that or not.
I agree Long has been poor but this shows the fault with the logic that Murphy deserves credit for being part of our turnaround in form. Long has played more than Murphy in that time (to be petty we turned a win into a draw at Morecambe after Murphy came on. Not blaming him for the goal we conceded, that was more Long's fault, but it shows you can't take something as simple as playing in games = positive contribution).

You also mention Joseph and his giving away of the ball and you're not wrong there. I don't massively rate him but as well as making life a hell of a lot harder for the opposition than Murphy does he's also one of three players in our current squad with more than a couple of goals. Against Sheffield Wednesday he contributed a hell of a lot more than Murphy, as did Browne who played centrally to accommodate Murphy when he's better out wide himself.

Joseph is far better on the wing helps defensively he’s not the strongest to be a centre forward

I’d play
Eastwood
Long Negru Findlay Brown
Brannagan Mcguane
Joseph Browne Goodrham
Odonkor.

If Bodin was fit I’d play him in Browne postion and move Browne to wing

I think it's a bit of a cop out to say his role is just to hold the shape, as a winger he needs to do something. If he does something against Port Vale does this mean he's gone against the manager's instructions? Yanic was worse, although not infinitely, neither should be in the team in my book.

Yes, however...

I agree Long has been poor but this shows the fault with the logic that Murphy deserves credit for being part of our turnaround in form. Long has played more than Murphy in that time (to be petty we turned a win into a draw at Morecambe after Murphy came on. Not blaming him for the goal we conceded, that was more Long's fault, but it shows you can't take something as simple as playing in games = positive contribution).

You also mention Joseph and his giving away of the ball and you're not wrong there. I don't massively rate him but as well as making life a hell of a lot harder for the opposition than Murphy does he's also one of three players in our current squad with more than a couple of goals. Against Sheffield Wednesday he contributed a hell of a lot more than Murphy, as did Browne who played centrally to accommodate Murphy when he's better out wide himself.
It’s not a cop out and I’m not making excuses for him because I don’t think he needs them - he’s been OK in my eyes. We’ve played two good sides where chances to get forward were always going to be limited if we were serious about getting points. Morecambe he was fine, albeit nothing close to the match winner Karl told us to expect.

I’ve only mentioned Long and Wildschut to highlight there are people performing worse who escape criticism of this kind. I don’t think Murphy has done anywhere near enough wrong in these last 3 games to warrant this discussion ahead of others, if people want to have it.

Joseph is fantastic for his energy but if we were a better side, he would look like a headless chicken. Harsh but true. He doesn’t offer a lot in possession but huge amounts off it - he suits a relegation battle. When you’re down like we are, his running is one of few positives we have! Browne is effective in various positions. I’d let him go where the space is. He is dangerous centrally on the turn and should have got Vaulks sent off had the referee been up to the task. But we can’t expect Murphy to find his groove overnight - he’s clearly been absent in many ways this season but some more patience/support is required. Manning clearly believes in what he sees.

Ignoring the complete lack of either goals or assists (can't expect that sort of thing from a winger) - can either of you provide a list of the top 5 impacts made by Murphy in those 3 games?

Moments of quality - a good run perhaps, or a dangerous cross, or an incisive pass?

Actually, don't worry about 5, I'll take 3. Or 1.

One positive contribution from Josh Murphy from these so-called 'better performances'. Everyone else has offered something at some point - yet with Murphy the bar is now so low that we're supposed to just accept him being on the pitch as an acceptable return?

He continues to contribute nothing. Nothing.
The criticism is fully deserved and should continue - regardless of the continued sanctimonious defence of him.
We’ve hardly seen him so it’s not surprising people want to give him a chance now he finally seems to be fit. We’re going to need everyone from our small squad so he’ll play more I’m sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom