Home Match Day Thread 7/5/23 L1: OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, the reality is, he’s not consistently meeting League One standards.

If I was in charge I’d definitely try to offload Browne and Murphy because I don’t believe they contribute enough at this level. Yes, there are moments, but we need more than that.

Players I’d get rid of if given the chance; Henry, Bodin, Baldock, Browne, Murphy, Findlay, Anderson, Wildschut, Seddon, McGinty.

Players out on loan; O’Donkor

Wouldn’t take on any of the players we had on loan, including Joseph.

All the players I’d try to recruit would hopefully be better than the ones left e.g. Long, Moore, McGuane etc as these would potentially be my 2nd choice players, but good enough as back-up/cover.

I’d be looking for pacy wingers e.g. like Shodipo, strong target man/striker (a league one version of Harry Kane e.g. can hold the ball up, but also play/move. Another striker in the mould of Robbie Keane, plus a back-up, possible Taylor, but not sure. A good intelligent CDM, good full backs e.g. like George Baldock, and lastly a creative midfielder. Oh, also another keeper potentially moving Eastwood to no.2

Think that’s it off the top of my head!!
Fortunately it isn’t you that will make these decisions then.

The same Bodin, Browne, Murphy and Joseph who bossed our recent games?

Who scored 7 of the 11 goals we scored under Manning with a further 3 assists?

And relegating Moore and Eastwood to back ups at best despite both being in excellent form in the last couple of months?

Pretty glad you're not in charge!

Have I missed something? You know we averaged a point a game and just over a goal a game under Manning, right?

Just needed to check because I'm starting to think you genuinely believe we started playing like world beaters and stormed our way to an against-the-odds survival.

In the real world, we limped over the line. We got two wins from 11 matches, one of which came against a team who were already confirmed to finish bottom of the table, and eventually ended up 17 (!) points adrift.

Did Manning do a poor job, or was the squad of players available to him not good enough? It could be both, but it definitely isn't neither.

You seem unable to accept that people will judge based on what they see. You may have a player's aunt or whatever feeding you information that you take as gospel, but the rest of us aren't fortunate enough to have such valuable intel. The fact is, we finished in 19th place (I really don't want to draw attention to this, but we were 17th when KR was sacked).

In two weeks time, you'll be telling us all we're going to have a squad capable of promotion from the Championship, let alone League One. Browne and Murphy are going to score a combined 93 goals. Sam Long is getting attention from Napoli but will stay in Oxford because he likes Bicester Village so much. Whereas the vast majority will wait to see what actually happens, and will make judgments when information is available to us.

Your incessant positivity would be admirable if it wasn't so annoying and, quite frankly, unhelpful. When many expressed concerns last summer, you repeatedly shot them down. When it became obvious that KR was not the right man for the club and most fans' patience ran out, you mocked them for being knee jerk.

Maybe this year, however hard it may be for you, it might be worth employing an ounce of humility.

Have I missed something? You know we averaged a point a game and just over a goal a game under Manning, right?

Just needed to check because I'm starting to think you genuinely believe we started playing like world beaters and stormed our way to an against-the-odds survival.

In the real world, we limped over the line. We got two wins from 11 matches, one of which came against a team who were already confirmed to finish bottom of the table, and eventually ended up 17 (!) points adrift.

Did Manning do a poor job, or was the squad of players available to him not good enough? It could be both, but it definitely isn't neither.

You seem unable to accept that people will judge based on what they see. You may have a player's aunt or whatever feeding you information that you take as gospel, but the rest of us aren't fortunate enough to have such valuable intel. The fact is, we finished in 19th place (I really don't want to draw attention to this, but we were 17th when KR was sacked).

In two weeks time, you'll be telling us all we're going to have a squad capable of promotion from the Championship, let alone League One. Browne and Murphy are going to score a combined 93 goals. Sam Long is getting attention from Napoli but will stay in Oxford because he likes Bicester Village so much. Whereas the vast majority will wait to see what actually happens, and will make judgments when information is available to us.

Your incessant positivity would be admirable if it wasn't so annoying and, quite frankly, unhelpful. When many expressed concerns last summer, you repeatedly shot them down. When it became obvious that KR was not the right man for the club and most fans' patience ran out, you mocked them for being knee jerk.

Maybe this year, however hard it may be for you, it might be worth employing an ounce of humility.

Bit ridiculous don't you think? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've not said anything become world beaters. However, I think (and sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not alone) that we should judge players on how they've responded to Liam Manning coming in, as that's a reasonable indication of what they may offer next season.

Of course, coat off everyone and you'll stack up the likes from those who live in a perma-state of negativity. But don't get all precious when others have a different opinion.

If we go down the route that some want of off-loading 90% of the squad (at a huge financial lose in all likelihood) then we're going to end up with a squad full of cheap players as we stretch our playing budget across a couple of dozen recruits.

Instead, look at the likes of Murphy, Browne, Moore, Eastwood and others and see how they became better players under Manning in just a couple of months. Maybe think how they and others may be with a full preseason alongside a few key permanent additions? Add in quality from the loan market and a few development players to continue our trading model, and we may just have a squad ready to challenge at the right end of the table without the fire sale some want.

And if my positivity is annoying (and unhelpful??!!!) just ignore me. It's not difficult and it will give you the opportunity to wallow in as much negativity as you can bear.

Bit ridiculous don't you think? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've not said anything become world beaters. However, I think (and sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not alone) that we should judge players on how they've responded to Liam Manning coming in, as that's a reasonable indication of what they may offer next season.

Of course, coat off everyone and you'll stack up the likes from those who live in a perma-state of negativity. But don't get all precious when others have a different opinion.

If we go down the route that some want of off-loading 90% of the squad (at a huge financial lose in all likelihood) then we're going to end up with a squad full of cheap players as we stretch our playing budget across a couple of dozen recruits.

Instead, look at the likes of Murphy, Browne, Moore, Eastwood and others and see how they became better players under Manning in just a couple of months. Maybe think how they and others may be with a full preseason alongside a few key permanent additions? Add in quality from the loan market and a few development players to continue our trading model, and we may just have a squad ready to challenge at the right end of the table without the fire sale some want.

And if my positivity is annoying (and unhelpful??!!!) just ignore me. It's not difficult and it will give you the opportunity to wallow in as much negativity as you can bear.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on players improving under Manning. There's a definite case for some (Murphy the obvious candidate, although that'a not exactly saying much), but I don't think Browne was any better (he had a good game against Cheltenham, sure, but he always produced that sort of performance under Robinson every 15-20 games or so. Other than that, I don't think he's been great). I would argue Brannagan wasn't any better, nor McGuane, nor Findlay. Brown was probably worse.

I'll go back to the facts, we averaged a point a game under Manning: relegation form in most seasons.

We'll also have to agree to disagree on the level of change we need throughout the summer. In my opinion, we need significant changes to get back to where we were this time last year, let alone challenging for promotion. I don't doubt that will require some clever manoeuvring and probably some written off costs, but hey, isn't that what we've got two accountants at the helm for?

What you also seem willing to ignore is that most people involved in the last couple of transfer window debacles are still on the recruitment committee. Yes, KR went rogue, but, if we are to believe TW, all moves were voted on and sanctioned by the recruitment committee.

I am far from a negative poster. I judge based on what I see, and what I see at the moment is an unbalanced squad full of inconsistent players, managed by a promising yet inexperienced manager, overseen by two incompetent leaders. I hope it all falls into place, I really do. But I can't convince myself that it will just because we beat Cheltenham and FGR, sorry.

And yes, I do find your incessant positivity unhelpful at times because it stifles debate. We as a fan base sit by and watch far too often, trusting outsiders to run something we care so deeply about without any sort of challenge. I'm pissed off after the last season (or two) and when someone raises genuine and valid concerns I guarantee I will call you out every time you castigate or mock them for it.

Last edited:
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on players improving under Manning. There's a definite case for some (Murphy the obvious candidate, although that'a not exactly saying much), but I don't think Browne was any better (he had a good game against Cheltenham, sure, but he always produced that sort of performance under Robinson every 15-20 games or so. Other than that, I don't think he's been great). I would argue Brannagan wasn't any better, nor McGuane, nor Findlay. Brown was probably worse.

I'll go back to the facts, we averaged a point a game under Manning: relegation form in most seasons.

We'll also have to agree to disagree on the level of change we need throughout the summer. In my opinion, we need significant changes to get back to where we were this time last year, let alone challenging for promotion. I don't doubt that will require some clever manoeuvring and probably some written off costs, but hey, isn't that what we've got two accountants at the helm for?

What you also seem willing to ignore is that most people involved in the last couple of transfer window debacles are still on the recruitment committee. Yes, KR went rogue, but, if we are to believe TW, all moves were voted on and sanctioned by the recruitment committee.

I am far from a negative poster. I judge based on what I see, and what I see at the moment is an unbalanced squad full of inconsistent players, managed by a promising yet inexperienced manager, overseen by two incompetent leaders. I hope it all falls into place, I really do. But I can't convince myself that it will just because we beat Cheltenham and FGR, sorry.

And yes, I do find your incessant positivity unhelpful at times because it stifles debate. We as a fan base sit by and watch far too often, trusting outsiders to run something we care so deeply about without any sort of challenge. I'm pissed off after the last season (or two) and when someone raises genuine and valid concerns I guarantee I will call you out every time you castigate or mock them for it.

And that is debate!

Yes, I was happier that we beat Cheltenham and FGR’s, but f**k me, if you want to live off of those 2 wins then jog on.

And I’ve been bothering for 45+years, so don’t speak to me about bothering.

Re; my comments yesterday, I was very disappointed that we couldn’t finish a very poor season by remaining professional and winning a very winnable game to send away 10k+ home fans who could be bothered, and if you cannot see that/expect that, then that’s why we ended up in the position we did this season, because if we all took your stance then the club/players will think it’s okay.
Don't let him wind you up. Just remember this is the poster who verbally said clown should go, but secretly wanted him to stay.
Now robinson has gone to Leeds, S.egg wont hang around her much longer, he'll be off to "Marching All Together" Forum, to deliver his worship of robinson there.

Don't let him wind you up. Just remember this is the poster who verbally said clown should go, but secretly wanted him to stay.
Now robinson has gone to Leeds, S.egg wont hang around her much longer, he'll be off to "Marching All Together" Forum, to deliver his worship of robinson there.

He's mentioned the poll again!!! 🤣🤣🤣

And I'll obviously abandon 40 years of supporting Oxford to nip up to Leeds for the next 3 games!!

Although, talking of Leeds, this was the second game I went to after first seeing us beat Newcastle in the previous. Interesting fact, I sat a couple of seats down from Ian Botham who I think was still playing occasionally for Scunthorpe at the time!! Anyway, keep up the nonsense!!

we have some better players than has been stated we need a Roy Keene CDM who would fire the team up ,God needs a loan he's got alot to learn we need 2 strikers then we would start to look different a Right back longs a back up for me how did Karl give him a 3 year contract he makes so many mistakes and offers alot less than Brown. We've got Negru so we have 4 solid center halves with Brown if we get a new left back. It's a big job but very douable. It's definately going to be better next season.

I’m sure we need to get rid of at least seven. Baldock won’t play again. Taylor probably won’t be back. Henry is unlikely to start again.
Eastwood has only improved recently and we really could do with one that will be a regular and doesn’t flap at crosses and concede from outside the box. Can’t see Stevens coming back. Ed McGinty might well go too.
defence hardly looks rock solid so need additions.
I would love Joseph to stay but fear he won’t because of the fee involved. Murphy is a difficult player, so talented that we could have a place for him.
It is certainly going to be a massive rebuild this summer

I thought it was interesting on the latest Dub that Jerome said he doesn't think we will keep Taylor as we've stayed up.

I thought it was interesting on the latest Dub that Jerome said he doesn't think we will keep Taylor as we've stayed up.
Taylor is NOT the quality of striker we need in League One. Big improvement (s) required.

heard a whisper on Sunday and similar yesterday, both from fairly reliable sources, that Matty Taylor would like to return to Oxford United for the coming season. And that he is aware for that to happen it may be on a lower wage, as well as he would be a squad player, not first choice striker. One of the two sources mentioned that initial talks re his OUFC future was likely to be either yesterday or today

I think we have to be careful not to fall into the sentimentality trap. Matty Taylor has been an excellent player for us - but last season he was pretty dreadful. There may be reasons for that (such as the poor supply to *any* striker) and loaning him out without a replacement was certainly very poor (I would certainly rather we'd kept him than had nobody) but if he wasn't our player and you looked at his performance last season (for both us and Port Vale) - would you want to sign him?

I'm not a big believer in signing players to be 'squad' players. Every experienced player we sign should be good enough and fit enough to think they can get into the first team and hang onto the place. I don't want any more 'well, he is good in the dressing room' players.

I think we have to be careful not to fall into the sentimentality trap. Matty Taylor has been an excellent player for us - but last season he was pretty dreadful. There may be reasons for that (such as the poor supply to *any* striker) and loaning him out without a replacement was certainly very poor (I would certainly rather we'd kept him than had nobody) but if he wasn't our player and you looked at his performance last season (for both us and Port Vale) - would you want to sign him?

I'm not a big believer in signing players to be 'squad' players. Every experienced player we sign should be good enough and fit enough to think they can get into the first team and hang onto the place. I don't want any more 'well, he is good in the dressing room' players.

I agree with the last bit, add in signing players who can do a job out of position, who we might get 20 games from etc and it’s why we ended up with such a disjointed squad and having such a poor season.

Sign players for the style we are going play who are going to be fighting to get into the first team in the positions we need, who are fit, hungry and athletic.

I agree with the last bit, add in signing players who can do a job out of position, who we might get 20 games from etc and it’s why we ended up with such a disjointed squad and having such a poor season.

Sign players for the style we are going play who are going to be fighting to get into the first team in the positions we need, who are fit, hungry and athletic.
I dunno, there has to be a mixture. Every team needs its Anthony Fordes and Kevin Sandwiths.

heard a whisper on Sunday and similar yesterday, both from fairly reliable sources, that Matty Taylor would like to return to Oxford United for the coming season. And that he is aware for that to happen it may be on a lower wage, as well as he would be a squad player, not first choice striker. One of the two sources mentioned that initial talks re his OUFC future was likely to be either yesterday or today
I’d take this option e.g. 3rd choice striker.

Back
Top Bottom