General Most Loved/Hated Music

Wandering Yellow

Just for fun, what are your most loved and most hated songs?

Music is of course subjective, but would be interesting to see songs people loved/ think are overrated or terrible. Looking for specific songs rather than "genres" of music.

Most loved
The Jam - That's entertainment Big fan of the Jam, could pick any number of songs
Oasis - Supersonic Could pick any song from Oasis first few albums really, I'll go with Supersonic
Arctic Monkeys - Arabella Best band post-2000 in my opinion, they have evolved a lot so I'll go with something in the middle, Arabella
Bob Dylan - Knockin' on heaven's door I'm no music connissuer but even I can tell it's one of the best songs ever made
The Rifles - The Great Escape Just reminds me of being younger
Doves - Black and White Town Used to really love this song, still listen to it sometimes now

Most hated
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen I can't work out work out why this song is so popular. It's painful. And because it's popular it's hard to avoid it, always seems to be played at weddings.
Mr Brightside - the Killers I can't work out whether I hate this song because it's overplayed or it's just terrible, maybe a mixture of both.
Formed a band - Art Brut This song inspired the thread, came on randomly on Spotify and is without doubt the worst song I've ever heard, can't work out if it's supposed to be deliberately awful.
Parklife - Blur Think the song wasn't meant to be serious, but still, I find it awful.

Most loved

Every time you go away - Paul Young
Pour some sugar on me - Def Leppard
That's what I like - Chas and Dave
Living in America - James Brown
Blue Savannah - Erasure
Nobody does it better - Carly Simon

Most hated

Mr Brightside - The Killers
Sex on fire - Kings of Leon
Ferrari - James Hype
Adele / Ed Sheeran

Good to see you mention Doves, my daughter is named after a Doves track. Very underrated Manchester band.

Not sure I could name my most hated, I just don't listen to songs if I don't like them. Five that I like, off the top of my head...

Sound + Vision (David Bowie) - I picked this for playing at Dad's funeral as he was taken away, he was a massive Bowie nut, so very personal for me.
Idioteque (Radiohead) - Could pick any of a hundred or so Radiohead tracks in fairness. I'm more a fan of the Kid A style than the guitar stuff.
Love Song (Simple Minds) - Simple Minds albums #3 (Empires and Dance) through to #6 (New Gold Dream) are all amazing Indie albums.
Gangsters (The Specials) - The birth of Two Tone, and one of the best examples of UK Ska.
Itchycoo Park (Small Faces) - As I'm named after Steve Marriott, a Small Faces track inspired by Oxford allegedly.

and a bonus one from a new band...

Don't Give Me Hope (October Drift) - Just love their sound, third album out soon. Wish they'd get a bit more traction for their music.

This list would probably be completely different if you asked again though, so much good music out there if you look for it.

I saw on FB the other week that a friend was at a club night / party and asked the DJ to play Mr Brightside, but was told that it wasn't an "oldies night". Made me laugh.

Current favourites - probably showing my age / bands I've seen
Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven
Ride - OX4
LCD Soundsystem - I Can Change
Air - Kelly Watch The Stars

Least favourites.
Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline
Zwette and Alex Harding - Rooftop in Amsterdam
George Ezra - ShotGun
Idles - everything

Good to see you mention Doves, my daughter is named after a Doves track. Very underrated Manchester band.

Not sure I could name my most hated, I just don't listen to songs if I don't like them. Five that I like, off the top of my head...

Sound + Vision (David Bowie) - I picked this for playing at Dad's funeral as he was taken away, he was a massive Bowie nut, so very personal for me.
Idioteque (Radiohead) - Could pick any of a hundred or so Radiohead tracks in fairness. I'm more a fan of the Kid A style than the guitar stuff.
Love Song (Simple Minds) - Simple Minds albums #3 (Empires and Dance) through to #6 (New Gold Dream) are all amazing Indie albums.
Gangsters (The Specials) - The birth of Two Tone, and one of the best examples of UK Ska.
Itchycoo Park (Small Faces) - As I'm named after Steve Marriott, a Small Faces track inspired by Oxford allegedly.

and a bonus one from a new band...

Don't Give Me Hope (October Drift) - Just love their sound, third album out soon. Wish they'd get a bit more traction for their music.

This list would probably be completely different if you asked again though, so much good music out there if you look for it.

Doves are working on new music apparently, had the best of on the car yesterday while ferrying my teenager and three of her friends back from a theme park, helped me get through that joyous journey.

Doves are working on new music apparently, had the best of on the car yesterday while ferrying my teenager and three of her friends back from a theme park, helped me get through that joyous journey.
That would be great if true, I thought they had quit again after the last album 'The Universal Want' in 2020.

Changes all the time for favourites, you have to rotate them else you can get sick of them, don't think I could get it down to anywhere near 5 though but 5 I have been listening to recently.

Ride - Vapour Trail

Bill Ryder Jones - This can't go on

Doves - Carousels

Troubled son - Miles Kane

Whatever happened to my Rock and Roll - Black Rebel motorcycle club

But songs I hate are easier.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen. could be any Queen, but as this is one of the most played it wins out.

Love is all around - Wet, Wet, Wet. If you were around when it was number one forever you shudder when you hear it.

Galway Girl - Ron Weasleys evil twins worst song which is going some.

Every Taylor Swift song, they all sound the same, no point picking one.

I will always love you - Whitney Houston, stop screaming love.

If I am allowed a sixth that Beyonce one about putting a ring on it, no, f**k off.

Changes all the time for favourites, you have to rotate them else you can get sick of them, don't think I could get it down to anywhere near 5 though but 5 I have been listening to recently.

Ride - Vapour Trail

Bill Ryder Jones - This can't go on

Doves - Carousels

Troubled son - Miles Kane

Whatever happened to my Rock and Roll - Black Rebel motorcycle club

But songs I hate are easier.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen. could be any Queen, but as this is one of the most played it wins out.

Love is all around - Wet, Wet, Wet. If you were around when it was number one forever you shudder when you hear it.

Galway Girl - Ron Weasleys evil twins worst song which is going some.

Every Taylor Swift song, they all sound the same, no point picking one.

I will always love you - Whitney Houston, stop screaming love.

If I am allowed a sixth that Beyonce one about putting a ring on it, no, f**k off.
I toyed with putting a Miles Kane song on my most loved. Rearrange would be my pick.

People must like Queen, but I do not "get it" at all.

Every Taylor Swift song sounds the same and somehow she's a billionaire.

Ed Sheeran is pretty awful to listen to, but I find him easier to avoid than the dreaded "wedding reception" songs like Bohemian Rhapsody or Mr Fkin Brightside.

I learn so much on these threads. I think only a handful of the songs mentioned in the 'like' parts have been released while I've been alive 🫣

Most loved
Gorillaz - Baby Queen. Anything by Gorillaz tbh, one of the most under appreciated bands ever.
Arctic Monkeys - Crying Lightning. This and 505 are my fav AM tracks, both comfortably top 10
The Strokes - Hard to Explain. Easy to explain why I like this one, hell of a tune
Keane - Somewhere Only We Know. Not a fan of Keane in general, but this one is brilliant
The Jam - Town Called Malice. Probably features heavily on other peoples lists. An all time classic.
New Radicals - You Get What You Give. Favourite song growing up, still partial to a karaoke rendition

Most hated
Oasis - Wonderwall. Not so much hated for the song itself, more the fact it's a lot of peoples favourite Oasis track when it's not even close
Journey - Don't Stop Believing. Self explanatory
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody. See above
Starship - We Built This City. "

I find the likes of Sheeran, Swift, Beyonce incredibly bland but inoffensive, music that isn't made for me.

First 5 to enter my head

Champion - Buju Banton
Juicy - Christopher Wallace
Social Living - Winston Rodney
Girl of my complexion - Jah Woosh
Lately - Naturalites etc
Train left the station - Robert Johnson

5 I hate

Beatles
Eagles
Queen
Pink Floyd (post-Barrett)
Led Zeppelin

I would probably have put Nirvana - come as you are in my loved list but I forgot.

The musical taste of posters (so far) seems quite similar?

I would probably have put Nirvana - come as you are in my loved list but I forgot.

When someone does it first, I'll expose my love of Billy Ocean, Womack + Womack and Marvin Gaye.

It's mainly what you might call 'lads bands', not surprisingly. A year or so back the club played a good selection of such tunes before the game (we even ran out to Ride) but more recently seem to have moved more towards more dancey stuff, which is a shame.

Most Loved (for today anyway)
Bowie - Five year
The Clash - Complete Control
Dylan - If you see her say hello or Don't think Twice it's alright (depending what day of the week it is)
The Wedding Present - Kennedy
Toots and the Martals - 54-46 that's my number

Most hated

Almost anything by Queen, Genesis, Led Zep, Michael Jackson
Everything by Coldplay

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom