World Cup One Love / Rainbow Armband

There was some talk on 5Live this morning in the light of Liverpool and Manchester United being up for sale. It was basically along the lines of 'the rich nations have realised that there is no point in owning a club when you can own the league they play in'. So if you think of the LIV golf thing, which is owned by the Saudis - but applied to football. Maybe one of those rich states (especially those who want to sportswash their reputations) will set up a rival European league with vast prizes, or attempt to purchase the Prem and/or other leading European leagues.

Good on them although prompted by financial backers walking away or threatening to.

Be good if the other FAs, including ours, mentioned joined the action with the German FA.
the sponsor was already leaving, they just did it straight away rather than continuing until the end of the contract.

I think it goes further, this is the German Interior Minister wearing the OneLove armband in the VIP seats next to Infantino. Compare to James Cleverley telling gay football fans to respect Qatar.
e013faa0-6b43-11ed-9edf-fe4eead2c1a2

the sponsor was already leaving, they just did it straight away rather than continuing until the end of the contract.

I think it goes further, this is the German Interior Minister wearing the OneLove armband in the VIP seats next to Infantino. Compare to James Cleverley telling gay football fans to respect Qatar.
e013faa0-6b43-11ed-9edf-fe4eead2c1a2

Other backers are also considering leaving as well.

There was some talk on 5Live this morning in the light of Liverpool and Manchester United being up for sale. It was basically along the lines of 'the rich nations have realised that there is no point in owning a club when you can own the league they play in'. So if you think of the LIV golf thing, which is owned by the Saudis - but applied to football. Maybe one of those rich states (especially those who want to sportswash their reputations) will set up a rival European league with vast prizes, or attempt to purchase the Prem and/or other leading European leagues.

Golf is one of the most soulless, corporate activities on the planet though, very different setting up a new world league for a sport like football where it’s based around clubs who have been around for over a hundred years.

I don’t doubt Barcelona and (maybe Juventus) would be desperate enough to join a competition and compete against the likes of Shanghai Storm, New Delhi Nitro and Riyadh Beheaders, that more than a club B*****s has been exposed enough, but it won’t carry many fans with it, while the premier league, champions league and World Cup etc exist who needs a tacky, brand new super league?

Their country, their rules - Cleverley was suggesting people would need to measure their behaviour or they could be treated far differently than in the UK.

That`s his job, and he was there to discuss policing etc, so probably done more behind the scenes than putting on an armband.

The next World Cup is being held partly in a country that in four years may well be a medieval theocracy ruled by an insane billionaire who rejects democracy in favour of installing his family dynasty in power. Let’s hope players will wear armbands in support of women’s rights and opposing racism there.

The next World Cup is being held partly in a country that in four years may well be a medieval theocracy ruled by an insane billionaire who rejects democracy in favour of installing his family dynasty in power. Let’s hope players will wear armbands in support of women’s rights and opposing racism there.
Yeah, the USA is a hell of a place, I agree.

Golf is one of the most soulless, corporate activities on the planet though, very different setting up a new world league for a sport like football where it’s based around clubs who have been around for over a hundred years.

I don’t doubt Barcelona and (maybe Juventus) would be desperate enough to join a competition and compete against the likes of Shanghai Storm, New Delhi Nitro and Riyadh Beheaders, that more than a club B*****s has been exposed enough, but it won’t carry many fans with it, while the premier league, champions league and World Cup etc exist who needs a tacky, brand new super league?
Riyadh Beheaders, 🤣

Their country, their rules - Cleverley was suggesting people would need to measure their behaviour or they could be treated far differently than in the UK.

That`s his job, and he was there to discuss policing etc, so probably done more behind the scenes than putting on an armband.

The 'One Love' armband is about promoting tolerance. That is all it is. I get it that homosexuality is forbidden in Islam - that's fine. Nobody is forcing you to jump in bed with another person of the same sex.

And if you can't tolerate people who happen to have different, unharmful beliefs to you, then you shouldn't have bidded to host the World Cup, and FIFA should not have awarded them them World Cup.

The 'One Love' armband is about promoting tolerance. That is all it is. I get it that homosexuality is forbidden in Islam - that's fine. Nobody is forcing you to jump in bed with another person of the same sex.

And if you can't tolerate people who happen to have different, unharmful beliefs to you, then you shouldn't have bidded to host the World Cup, and FIFA should not have awarded them them World Cup.

I concur but, as is evident, £££££££`s win over ethics and morals.

Did they really think giving the WC to a country with a medieval death cult for a "religion" would make diddly difference?

Yes, but he is clearly not intelligent enough to play to the room. In reality he was mainly there to talk gas imports, so needs stop pretending trying to do anything else, and certainly don't make stupid statements to the UK public.

Greenland. That's a bit cooler.

I concur but, as is evident, £££££££`s win over ethics and morals.

Did they really think giving the WC to a country with a medieval death cult for a "religion" would make diddly difference?

My point is that originally Qatar said they didn't have a problem with LGBTQ+ imagery, and would be warm and welcoming. They were very keen to shake off this ultra-conservative Islamist image.

2022 World Cup chief executive Nasser Al-Khater said, "When it comes to the rainbow flags in the stadiums, FIFA have their own guidelines, they have their rules and regulations". "Whatever they may be, we will respect them.". Bull-sh*t!

So when people say "their country, their rules". Sorry, but that doesn't quite wash with me. Two years ago, the organisers are saying "Yes it's fine", but now the tournament is under way, it's "Oooh, no no no no no". Qatar and FIFA fully deserve all the flak that is being thrown at them.

My point is that originally Qatar said they didn't have a problem with LGBTQ+ imagery, and would be warm and welcoming. They were very keen to shake off this ultra-conservative Islamist image.

2022 World Cup chief executive Nasser Al-Khater said, "When it comes to the rainbow flags in the stadiums, FIFA have their own guidelines, they have their rules and regulations". "Whatever they may be, we will respect them.". Bull-sh*t!

So when people say "their country, their rules". Sorry, but that doesn't quite wash with me. Two years ago, the organisers are saying "Yes it's fine", but now the tournament is under way, it's "Oooh, no no no no no". Qatar and FIFA fully deserve all the flak that is being thrown at them.

I think it is clear that Qatar said an awful lot of things to win the bid, and have then changed their tack at the last minute when they decided it would be too late for FIFA to do anything real about it (like move it elsewhere). flags, hats, media access, beer in grounds, etc etc

I think it is clear that Qatar said an awful lot of things to win the bid, and have then changed their tack at the last minute when they decided it would be too late for FIFA to do anything real about it (like move it elsewhere). flags, hats, media access, beer in grounds, etc etc

Exactly this.

Some people were suckered into thinking anything would actually change.

Its been under the thumb of an intolerant religion since the 7th Century so isn`t going to be changing its stance anytime soon.

Exactly this.

Its been under the thumb of an intolerant religion since the 7th Century so isn`t going to be changing its stance anytime soon.
I think the world body for various sporting competitions should know in advance countries that may have various issues with western world countries and decide before a decision is made to take them out of the equation, so they can’t be hosts of these competitions.

Exactly this.

Well, many religions are pretty intolerant and have zealots at the extremes - I wouldn't focus on just one.

They mostly don't care because they have so much money that contract penalties will mean nothing to them.

I thought 'political statements' weren't allowed at this World Cup? I wonder if anything will come of this? Doubt it. Seems like FIFA are picking and choosing what is defined as a 'political statement'. No doubt there are a few anonymous wireless transactions to FIFA execs' offshore accounts in Panama that are helping them make these decisions.

Back
Top Bottom