General Ownership - A Look At Wrexham

FFS you could get Cher or Dominic Raab on the board for the cost of an enema.

And Michael Gove for free if you let him suck yr cock.

After all, if I could turn back time then maybe but it would involve starting over and all because of you, it would cause a lot of emotional fire for staff if Raab is on the Board. I've got a heart of stone so its a no for Michael Gove.

Yep, all they needed to do was get bought by massively a famously film star, have Disney make a documentary about them and get promoted with a record points total to bring that passion out.

They didn’t get any bigger crowds than we did pre the takeover so how is that a more footballing area?

I am jealous of what has happened there though, that’s the luck with takeovers though, they got rich owners who know how to make the most of it, we got rich owners who appointed Tim Williams.

It’s very much his lookout to slag off the club’s support. He’s done it for ages in here. Calling us ‘mincy’ is a new once in me though.

Football may have once been the preserve of the working classes, specifically for men. But the noughties happened and now we are far more variety in fans from kids, women, disabled, LGBT and so on attending including those with more disposable income going to games. It’s not just the working classes anymore.

The attitude that football is exclusively for working class people is as outdated as thinking they every match is a punch up waiting to happen.

It’s very much his lookout to slag off the club’s support. He’s done it for ages in here. Calling us ‘mincy’ is a new once in me though.

Football may have once been the preserve of the working classes, specifically for men. But the noughties happened and now we are far more variety in fans from kids, women, disabled, LGBT and so on attending including those with more disposable income going to games. It’s not just the working classes anymore.

The attitude that football is exclusively for working class people is as outdated as thinking they every match is a punch up waiting to happen.

The people who can easily afford to go are those with plenty of disposable income. They are also most able to choose other ways to spend said disposable income and are more likely to be less passionate about the Club.

We have had kids, women, disabled, LGBT etc going for decades we just haven`t sought to label them in anyway.

They go because of the commonality and community of supporting the Club.

That is what Wrexham have done - tapped in to the "common cause" - the Club.

See what happens if they struggle in league 2 ,which I don't think they will .Fans are fickle what ever happens if we stay up we will need more to be successful that is a fact.

See what happens if they struggle in league 2 ,which I don't think they will .Fans are fickle what ever happens if we stay up we will need more to be successful that is a fact.

Already doing ST renewals for 23/24 and have been since February.

There are a lot of lessons our lot could learn from how they have taken advantage of the brand/community in 2 years.

The success certainly helps, but they started out with embracing the supporters relationship with the club.

Unlike others who completely ignored that............

Our owners are non existent I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I don't think it's a good thing either.
Our chairman is non existent that's definitely not a good thing for me the chairman should be at every home/away game watching, listening to the fans learning what improvement are needed but our chairman probably doesn't know the season is nearly finished.
Communication there isn't any from top to bottom

Get what you saying mate

But it's not like that anymore, I get slagged off for calling out the lack of real passion for the U's.

But by being in various towns and cities across the UK on a regular basis, it highlights how mincy the U's support is.
Mincy? WTF does that mean? Are you saying that our top boys are largely ‘gay as a window’?

I don’t recall Wrexham having particularly special support before the takeover. Wasn’t it just the usual little group with a couple of soggy banners? Then they got themselves investors and a PR machine. In theory we have the first but we certainly don’t have the second

I think L1 and the Championship are where they'd really need a new model. If they try and blow Sheff Wed/Ipswich/Derby out of the water on wages, then they'll burn through Ryan Reynold's net worth. He's probably happy to give them the biggest L2 budget for at least a couple of years.

our chairman probably doesn't know the season is nearly finished.
That's not fair, I thought he was up for the free booze and food at the end of season awards?

Can’t agree with that,I grew up in St Ebbes and then Cowley both working class areas and don’t forget PSF and Morris Motors must have employed 10,000
The East of the city was very working class. When we were going through the leagues from the mid sixties to mid eighties we had a very strong fan base culminating in 30,000 going to Wembley,which we achieved a further two times with over 30,000.
The good times were coming back when we had first Wilder and then Appleton at the club. But the man I felt was responsible for giving us good times and getting the club together was Mark Ashton.
Our owners should pay what it takes and get him back here,working with a decent manager he would turn us into a club with ambition again
The wider Cowley works employed something over 27000 in 1970 from memory.

I started watching the "Welcome to Wrexham" thing the other day. I've no idea who these "famous" hollywood "stars" are, but what struck me as odd was they'd decided to buy a club together but had never met before. What was that all about? It didnt seem to cover the background of how this came about. unless i dozed through that part.

The management/advisors the Wrexham owners brought into the club:
Advisor - Shaun Harvey - former CE of EFL, CEO Leeds United, MD Bradford City
Advisor - Peter Moore - former Liverpool CEO, ex Microsoft, Electronic Arts, Sega.
Advisor - Les Reed - former FA Technical Director, Head of Football Development and Support at Southampton
Exec Director - Humphrey Ker - Actor
Chief Exec - Fleur Robinson - former Commercial Director Burton Albion, FA Board member,

I think L1 and the Championship are where they'd really need a new model. If they try and blow Sheff Wed/Ipswich/Derby out of the water on wages, then they'll burn through Ryan Reynold's net worth. He's probably happy to give them the biggest L2 budget for at least a couple of years.

I dunno - he just sold Mint Mobile for $1.35b, and he gets $20m a movie. Even against the likes of Wednesday and Ipswich, he could keep up for a while!

Meanwhile McElhenney is a Philadelphia born-and-raised Irish Catholic. Tough to get too above your station with that kind of upbringing - Philly is fairly hard, mostly unpretentious place. Doesn't surprise me that much that he can relate to somewhere like Wrexham.

I dunno - he just sold Mint Mobile for $1.35b, and he gets $20m a movie. Even against the likes of Wednesday and Ipswich, he could keep up for a while!

Meanwhile McElhenney is a Philadelphia born-and-raised Irish Catholic. Tough to get too above your station with that kind of upbringing - Philly is fairly hard, mostly unpretentious place. Doesn't surprise me that much that he can relate to somewhere like Wrexham.
He sold part of Mint Mobile for part of $1.35bn. I'll admit I based my comment on a Google search, which had him at $350m (post Mint). I'm sure that's not accurate, but I'm also sure none of us know what the real number is any better.

Sheff Wed spent £36m in their last accounting period, Ipswich roughly £30m (and didn't get promoted). If you want to blow that budget out of the water, $350m will start decreasing real fast.

Last edited:
He sold part of Mint Mobile for part of $1.35bn. I'll admit I based my comment on a Google search, which had him at $350m (post Mint). I'm sure that's not accurate, but I'm also sure none of us know what the real number is any better.

Sheff Wed spent £36m in their last accounting period, Ipswich roughly £30m (and didn't get promoted). If you want to blow that budget out of the water, $350m will start decreasing real fast.
His share of Mint Mobile was 25%, and the deal was stock and shares for $1.3bn. So his share $325m.
21/22 - Wrexham lost £2.9m. RR McReynolds Company loaned Wrexham £3.67m, and another £1.2m via share issue purchase. Part of the loan did go towards buying back the Racecourse Ground for Approx £2.3m. "Football costs increased by 294% from the previous year to £3.9m. They made £1m from sponsorship/advertising, and £1.3m icome from retail.
(from a v v quick scan of the accounts).

His share of Mint Mobile was 25%, and the deal was stock and shares for $1.3bn. So his share $325m.
21/22 - Wrexham lost £2.9m. RR McReynolds Company loaned Wrexham £3.67m, and another £1.2m via share issue purchase. Part of the loan did go towards buying back the Racecourse Ground for Approx £2.3m. "Football costs increased by 294% from the previous year to £3.9m. They made £1m from sponsorship/advertising, and £1.3m icome from retail.
(from a v v quick scan of the accounts).
No one is doubting that he can afford to splash cash in the Conference.

You have no idea on the structure of the sale price (shares, deferred consideration, etc) and you've ignored tax.

They’ll be fine. You can get a well-managed team promoted out of L1 with a budget that their owners could comfortably afford to bankroll for years to come, at which point the commercial and sponsorship deals go through the roof.

These fellas can more than afford the budgets that the likes of Plymouth and half of the clubs in the playoff places have, as well as what Wycombe had the other year, what Blackpool had the other year, what Rotherham have every time they go up, what Barnsley have every time they go up, what Millwall had, what Luton had etc etc.

They’ll be fine. You can get a well-managed team promoted out of L1 with a budget that their owners could comfortably afford to bankroll for years to come, at which point the commercial and sponsorship deals go through the roof.

These fellas can more than afford the budgets that the likes of Plymouth and half of the clubs in the playoff places have, as well as what Wycombe had the other year, what Blackpool had the other year, what Rotherham have every time they go up, what Barnsley have every time they go up, what Millwall had, what Luton had etc etc.
If they start out performing their budget I think that counts as a change in model.

I'm not sure I agree that the Championship is a great place to make money, either.

At the end of the day, we will all be here in the 2024/25 season arguing whether its still unreasonable to expect Manning to get any points with such an awful squad, so we can see how well they do up here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom