General Priorities for next year

Yellowblood

Regardless of the league we are in next year, we are in serious need of new faces in key positions next season.
Naturally the league will dictate the level of quality we can bring in but we shouldn't neglect deficiencies we have had for the past few seasons.

Goalkeeper - I have never rated Eastwood. I am sure there must be better options out there playing second fiddle. Distribution is now a key part of the game and the current bunch are not strong in this area.

Right back - we were spoilt with Baldock but never really found a suitable replacement.

No. 9 - I was surprised by Taylors decline this season but regardless we've needed another option to take the pressure of him. The hardest position to find quality proven recruits.

No.10 & 11 - it's difficult to predict the formation Manning will prefer but if we do go for a front three we seriously need some pace.

And regardless of the position we can't take gambles on injury prone players anymore.

Depends on how brave we want to be...what I want is the monetary equivalent of a new ivory backscratcher for the board, but will they do it?

I'd still stick with McGinty. Stevens should have a clean slate but it just hasn't happened for him post COVID, glandular fever for whatever reason. Eastwood will not be playing much under Manning I'd imagine. If that's the case we need a new starting keeper.

Defensively we need a complete overhaul depending on what system we are playing. Anderson may have a role, depends on him as much as anything. Long is dependable but should be nowhere near the starting XI of a top-30 team. Brown (perhaps a tad unfairly) also. We may cut our losses with Findlay. Moore I'd still keep and play with a ball-playing CB. Golding and Negru as the loan outs/perspective players.

So, we need at least three new defenders ideally (RB/LB 2xCB).

Midfield wise, Goodrham may very well be the one to kick on next year. McGuane has a place, Brannagan will hopefully thrive again. Smyth let's see what happens. The rest I couldn't care less about, bye to all of them if possible.

This means one CDM (Smyth notwithstanding), two wingers and a creative foil in midfield, so at least four midfielders.

None of our attackers will be here next season, save for GOD and he should be on loan somewhere useful. Bye to all the loanees...we hardly new thee!

So three new attacking players.

In all, around 11 or 12 new players and almost the same leaving. That is the state that the Scouse shyster has left us...

Of course, this all depends on who will take our lot of waifs and strays off our hands or whether the board has the stones to start cancelling contracts.

Over to you Liam and the money men, good luck!

EDITED TO ADD: Two new coaches, new scouts and a head of recruitment as well...ta awfully.

None of our attackers will be here next season, save for GOD and he should be on loan somewhere useful.

Man, if you could find someone to take Murphy, Bodin, Browne, Wildschut & Baldock off our hands, then you are genuinely a wizard! I find it very hard to see takers for any of that group of overpaid, ageing crocks and/or wastrels.......
Or is the expectations that our Board will pay all of them off? I'm guessing that's probably a million pounds worth right there.

I wouldn't be taking the option up on Anderson. He's shown some flashes, but overall I don't see him as a consistent contributor. Rather take his wage and let Manning use it to bring someone of his own in.

Which means we then need a complete new set of fullbacks/wingbacks (depending on chosen formation), a new GK, a CDM and two strikers just for starters.
And then how many wide forwards we can bring in depends on how many of the aforementioned Murphy/Bodin/Browne/Wildschut/Baldock group we can get rid of.

The priority must be a new keeper and an entirely new back four. If any of the current defensive unit are playing regularly next season we're in trouble regardless of what league we're in.

It's a bit early to completely write off our defence (or anywhere else that has been equally as bad).

We've got a squad that (barring one or two) is entirely out of form and their confidence is shot. But they are not inherently bad players and key additions would be better than a total scraping and starting again approach.

I agree with @tonyw that GK, wing backs, CDM and Strikers are the priorities.

It's a bit early to completely write off our defence (or anywhere else that has been equally as bad).

We've got a squad that (barring one or two) is entirely out of form and their confidence is shot. But they are not inherently bad players and key additions would be better than a total scraping and starting again approach.

If they were simply out of of form, ie they had played well most of the time, we wouldn't be in the mess we are currently in.
The problem is that your mate signed too many crocs, too many of which became injured for long periods as many predicted would happen, from previous years experiences.

You can probably count the number of times we have played well for more than half a game this season on one hand. We have not even reached double figures for league wins and have lost 50% of our fixtures. The performances have been way below par since the opening day of the season. The results have worsened since January, but the performances have been poor and occasionally downright shocking all season.

Large scale revamp needed.

Manning is no fool, he probably already knew but it would’ve been confirmed by what he saw in front of him vs Derby, despite all the talk of being excited about working with our squad. He likes players who are comfortable on the ball, able to move it quickly and efficiently, in every position, and athletic players able to press high and effectively. We hardly have any players that fit into those categories. The likes of Findlay might as well be turkeys waiting for Christmas…

It's OK saying we need new players coming in but thanks to K.R. is the board going to be so generous with the money available for transfers with Manning.

No doubt we need a huge turn over of players, but don’t be surprised if we see the rise of a few players that are are currently in the squad.

Manning is built on making players better, he’s spent years studying the development side of the game.

I feel players like

Findlay
Long
Anderson
McGuane
Smyth

Could all become vital parts of the squad and step up to another level

No doubt we need a huge turn over of players, but don’t be surprised if we see the rise of a few players that are are currently in the squad.

Manning is built on making players better, he’s spent years studying the development side of the game.

I feel players like

Findlay
Long
Anderson
McGuane
Smyth

Could all become vital parts of the squad and step up to another level
Don't agree re: Long. A very average L1 player, at best. Fine as a squad player but definitely not as a starter imo.

Don't agree re: Long. A very average L1 player, at best. Fine as a squad player but definitely not as a starter imo.
Think in that 2020/21 season he played his best stuff, was defensively solid and contributed going forward.

With the systems Manning likes to play, I think if he can get him back to that form he will be very useful at RB in a back 4 and in RCB in a back 3

You have just listed 5/6 starters that need replacing, then cover for those new starters will be needed so that's 10 players at least and its not a revamp?

With the players still under contract we will only be able to do a partial revamp this summer anyway, but given how weird our squad make up is and add in the high player turn over in modern football and especially this division then I would be surprised to see to many of these players here after the end of next season anyway.

Eastwood back up, McGinty out on loan, Stevens move on, new keeper required.

Long squad player, Fleming send back, Findlay get rid , Moore keep, Brown keep, Anderson keep, Seddon move on,

Rodriguez move on, Brannagan keep,
Bate will go back, Henry back up, McGuane keep, Murphy move on, Smyth keep.

Bodin move on, Taylor move on, Baldock move on ,Browne move on, Jones not sure, Smith go back, Wildschut keep, Joseph move on.

Massive clear out required, start again with a squad built on a fast,quick and strength based style play, if we can afford it.

No one is taking Murphy, Baldock, Bodin, Browne off our hands unfortunately, probably Findlay unless we can loan him out at a loss back to Scotland.

What you post is a massive outlay if we pay them off, especially in league two. Things are pretty bad if we are in league one for next season, absolute nightmare in league two and if the new ground doesn't get the go ahead next season then we are fucked, its only when you look at it you realise how much of a tightrope the club is on now due to Robinsons shite and nimbys.

It’s far, far, FAR too early to write off any of our current players (with perhaps one or two exceptions). New coach, new methods, new motivations and better insights. Some who’ve struggled will flourish, some who’ve done ok up til now will struggle. What’s more important is that the structure for recruitment, development and improvement is established and resourced.

I look forward to the ‘x looks like a different player this season’ comments from august onwards. In some cases it will be because x is in fact a different player! But I’m certain that several who are currently underperforming will hit their straps under Manning.

No one is taking Murphy, Baldock, Bodin, Browne off our hands unfortunately, probably Findlay unless we can loan him out at a loss back to Scotland.

What you post is a massive outlay if we pay them off, especially in league two. Things are pretty bad if we are in league one for next season, absolute nightmare in league two and if the new ground doesn't get the go ahead next season then we are fucked, its only when you look at it you realise how much of a tightrope the club is on now due to Robinsons shite and nimbys.

I suspect Manning will get Browne performing as he knows how and what he is capable of from when at West Ham. Bodin is a useful squad player. I think Findlay will come good as well.

Murphy and Baldock however....

Last edited:
There's always a lot of turnover at this level and I don't think our situation is that much out of the ordinary, though it'll be more expensive than most L1 reorganizations. The loan players will leave, we've already let Taylor go, Baldock and Gorrin will probably retire as may Murphy and even Browne. Anderson and Wildschut will leave, while Bodin and Henry are diligent performers who will make a contribution if they're fit. That doesn't leave many but we'll sign half a dozen plus loan some in and promote a couple of kids. Next!

Last edited:
Brannagan will be off if we go down I’m sure.
We should in the meantime recall all our players to give us more options.
This is a threadbare squad. Hopefully Liam Manning can at least produce three quick wins to help our safety.
The likes of Baldock and Gorrin have to move on as well as Eastwood.
Agyei might prove to be what we need. If Portsmouth want him he can’t be that bad

Back
Top Bottom