National News Rishi Sunak

Strange how folk talk about "14 years" whilst casually forgetting.....

2008 Global Financial Crisis - iirc the UK suffered a little less just for longer. Even the IMF talked about the impact/recovery and income inequality in 2018 a decade later.
2009 European Sovereign Crisis - the massive public debt of the PIIGS. Likely we are still paying for that.
2020 Covid - Cost of around £5k per person in the UK. "Whatever it takes" said many governments.
2023 Ukraine War - currently £4.7 billion as well as the impact on food prices etc.

Just wondering who people think pays for all this when the numbers on the spreadsheets need adjustment?

And how with "Tory lite Labour" it will be any different?

It`s us who pays - whether you are poor, middle income or rich.

2008 Global Financial Crisis - iirc the UK suffered a little less just for longer. Even the IMF talked about the impact/recovery and income inequality in 2018 a decade later.
2009 European Sovereign Crisis - the massive public debt of the PIIGS. Likely we are still paying for that.
2020 Covid - Cost of around £5k per person in the UK. "Whatever it takes" said many governments.
2023 Ukraine War - currently £4.7 billion as well as the impact on food prices etc.

Just wondering who people think pays for all this when the numbers on the spreadsheets need adjustment?

If only we hadn't wasted £8bn on unsuitable or unused PPE, and £37bn on 'Test and Trace'...

The 2008 financial crisis was a real fork in the road moment. We went down the wrong path and that has crippled us ever since and our ability to deal with the major subsequent issues you flagged

The 2008 financial crisis was a real fork in the road moment. We went down the wrong path and that has crippled us ever since and our ability to deal with the major subsequent issues you flagged

Iirc, Labour were looking to do the US model of going for growth to counteract the effects. The Tories came in and went down the austerity approach instead.

Iirc, Labour were looking to do the US model of going for growth to counteract the effects. The Tories came in and went down the austerity approach instead.
Yes austerity and also quantitive easing which created a money supply that was directed to PE houses and banks rather than public services. With money printed in this way which was gobbled up by private equity firms it inflated assets as they all competed to buy the same stuff but with an excess of cash. At the same time public services were ground into dust. We then had a situation where private equity and other investors had huge reserves of money looking for a return and nowhere to put it. This led to two things. Weird assets being bought that had no intrinsic value (crypto, NFTs etc) in the hope they could get a return out of them. But more importantly, it led to PE Houses buying public services - care homes, SEN schools and even rape crisis centres and selling those services at a huge premium back to cash strapped local authorities.

So we have a society which is poorer and with failing services and declining community cohesion and a narrative blaming the "other" - immigrants, trans folk etc. It's a sorry state to be in.

I don't know if Labour will be any better but I have to hope so. Things were certainly better last time they were in power.

Has anyone else seen the thread on Twitter/X of Americans laughing at our wages?

I rarely take Americans seriously, but some of them did have a point!

Thames Valley Police have a new logo. Amazing it’s come out just 3 days after the Tory Police Commissioner was re-elected.
In the current financial climate, why? Will the public think, oh that’ll help stop crime?
How much has it cost to design?
What will need to be replaced? Not just paper, but cars, vans, equipment, uniforms all carry logos.
What has been put aside or cancelled for this change?
Who signed it off? Why has it happened 3 days after an election? Was it held back to prevent the PCC losing votes?

Last edited:
Thames Valley Police have a new logo. Amazing it’s come out just 3 days after the Tory Police Commissioner was re-elected.
In the current financial climate, why? Will the public think, oh that’ll help stop crime?
How much has it cost to design?
What will need to be replaced? Not just paper, but cars, vans, equipment, uniforms carry logos.
What has been put aside or cancelled for this change?
Who signed it off? Why has it happened 3 days after an election? Was it held back to prevent the PCC losing votes?
It's because, as with every government agency, their operation is more about optics than actually making a positive long term change.

Maybe if instead of spending money trying to 'reinvent' their badge like a football club struggling to keep up with the times they put that money into effective preventative or rehabilitative schemes the country would be a better place?

It was far more than £8bn on the PPE, and its not the first time.

As for Test and Trace ..... well the Test bit worked. :)
At least we're giving prisoners gainful employment while they dismantle all those expired lateral flow tests for disposal.

And we're still shelling put for the storage of around 6million items of useless PPE. . . .which we, rather than suppliers of said useless PPE are paying for.

In other news, good to see this news is being ignored by the normal Duty Tories today :ROFLMAO: : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68977175

At least we're giving prisoners gainful employment while they dismantle all those expired lateral flow tests for disposal.

And we're still shelling put for the storage of around 6million items of useless PPE. . . .which we, rather than suppliers of said useless PPE are paying for.

In other news, good to see this news is being ignored by the normal Duty Tories today :ROFLMAO: : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68977175

Vote Labour get a "Right of Centre" Tory............ not SKS finest moment.

Always thought those who "cross the floor" should trigger a by election but there we are.

Wasn`t being ignored I was just a bit busy doing stuff.

Always thought those who "cross the floor" should trigger a by election but there we are.
Isn't it the case, however, that #technically# we are voting for an MP to represent us, not for a party? In much the same way as when the Tory party change their leader and PM we don't have another election.

...but I agree with you. In both cases it should be an election.

Good to see you're back on duty now though (y)

I'm not sure SKS would actually want her in the cold light of day, but she obviously couldn't stand it a minute longer being associated with a crumbling, inept government, so crossed the floor, like several before her. And I guess Labour generally have a kinder attitude towards the homeless;)

I actually agree, it should trigger a by election, much in the same way a change of PM should go to the country, especially as the last time the electorate got a say was 3 Tory PM's ago (which I know is not really a measure of anything significant).

Didn't the former Tory for Dover replace her Tory husband as MP, after he was booted out (by her and the party) for sexual assault, for which he was imprisoned?

Why do the Conservatives keep choosing sex pests, spivs and generic wrong-uns as candidates:unsure:🤷‍♂️

I can only assume Starmer has calculated it will do the Tories more damage than it will Labour. He might be right but it's a bit bizarre.

You forgot the biggest waste of money, Brexit!

I can only assume Starmer has calculated it will do the Tories more damage than it will Labour. He might be right but it's a bit bizarre.
Completely agree, should be a by-election. However, given how difficult it seems to be to call an election currently maybe it is unsurprising we get this shallow politics from Sunak and Starmer at present. Worth bearing in mind that Labour don’t win elections, Tories lose them (and boy, are they putting in the hours at the moment on the blue side) looks like this rabble will cling on for a while yet. Whatever happened to fix term Parliaments…

Back
Top Bottom