Championship Rotherham Relegated

werthersoriginal

Rotherham have been relegated with a feeble points total after losing to Plymouth. Oh boo boo you may say. But my main wish for next season, assuming we don’t get promoted, is that whoever is manager gives us a team that makes us feel confident when facing the likes of Rotherham - rather than assuming we’ll lose to a big, strong, well organised outfit, even though they’re not a fearsomely big club.

They’re on 23 points now so they have five more matches to get a point to avoid the disaster that was their 2016-17 season. Bizarrely they recovered from that to get promoted from League 1 in 2017-18.

I suspect we’ll be playing them against next season.

After a weird season of consolidation last year, normal service is resumed.

4 relegations and 3 promotions in the past eight years. Never dull, I guess, if you're a Rotherham fan (the results anyway......the football often is!)

You can laugh at them for always getting relegated out of the championship but they are also incredibly successful at getting out of the division we are in, we haven’t managed it since 1996 while they have done it 5 times this century, all without winning the league once.

They are never the biggest club at this level but they have found a way of being successful, have built a new ground all the while being in the shadows of two bigger clubs in Sheffield just up the road.

Over the last 25 years they have outperformed us by a fair distance, something to be said for having a bit more of a practical approach on the pitch.

I'm not really a betting man but Rotherham will definitely be on the list of teams I choose for promotion and relegation next season

BTW if they can keep that strike force ( wyke and Nombe) they will be lethal

I'm not really a betting man but Rotherham will definitely be on the list of teams I choose for promotion and relegation next season

BTW if they can keep that strike force ( wyke and Nombe) they will be lethal
They are getting promoted and relegated in the same season! That’s a rollercoaster ride….

You can laugh at them for always getting relegated out of the championship but they are also incredibly successful at getting out of the division we are in, we haven’t managed it since 1996 while they have done it 5 times this century, all without winning the league once.

They are never the biggest club at this level but they have found a way of being successful, have built a new ground all the while being in the shadows of two bigger clubs in Sheffield just up the road.

Over the last 25 years they have outperformed us by a fair distance, something to be said for having a bit more of a practical approach on the pitch.
They don’t have Paul Warne, this time.

I guess it depends on who else comes down as well. There will be a couple of fairly big sides to come down who you’d look as the favourites for the autos next season.

Potentially Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield and/or Birmingham. Millwall aren’t safe yet either. It could be be a fairly high number of points that will see the relegated clubs in 22nd and 23rd obtain and still go down.

I guess it depends on who else comes down as well. There will be a couple of fairly big sides to come down who you’d look as the favourites for the autos next season.

Potentially Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield and/or Birmingham. Millwall aren’t safe yet either. It could be be a fairly high number of points that will see the relegated clubs in 22nd and 23rd obtain and still go down.
Yes I think someone could get 49 or 50 points and still go down.

My point was that I really hope we can get better at dealing with strong but not outstanding teams like Rotherham

Yes I think someone could get 49 or 50 points and still go down.

My point was that I really hope we can get better at dealing with strong but not outstanding teams like Rotherham

I think you mean effective teams?

One way way of doing that would be to build a team that is effective itself I suppose, like the last team we had that got promoted at this level, lots of solid players with a couple of flair players, the same as every side who get promoted from this league.

Also depends on the financial state of those teams.

In theory, Reading and Wigan should have been threats for the autos in League One this season, but their basket case financial status made sure that didn't happen.

Wednesday would be the one that could be in deep trouble if their owner throws his toys out the pram again........

The plus side to this is we get to go to Rotherham next season, beautiful quaint town, I just hope we get a summer trip there so I can make a weekend of it.

Picture I got of the town centre a few seasons back with the peak district in the background:

1712409545239.png

But it also goes to show how hard the championship has become compared to the old Div 2 you need a lot of money from the off rather than hope to stay up for at least 3 season to get a decent war chest.

Back
Top Bottom