Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
1-1 Lincoln score. Seconds after Cheltenham had missed a sitter ffs.

Obviously we want Cheltenham to get something today, as then it'll be back in our hands. I think they might - they're desperate, and they've actually been a midtable side since their historically bad start, and bringing Clarke in.

The right result in Blackpool/Barnsley for us is a draw. If Barnsley don't win, it gives us another potential route in......as they're in such poor form, there's no guarantee that they beat Northampton next week; and our GD is better than theirs, so them getting 1 point or 0 today makes little difference as long as we beat Exeter (and realistically, we're not passing them if we don't). But a draw also takes Blackpool out of the reckoning, barring an absurd goal difference swing on the final day.

If someone has to win, I'd prefer Blackpool than Barnsley. They still can't overtake us if we beat Exeter, and I would rather have that extra route in if Barnsley bottle it.
I think the best result for us in that game entirely depends on the Lincoln result. If Lincoln lose, I'd rather Barnsley won, just so we're guaranteed playoffs (effectively). After the last couple of games I don't want to take anything for granted.

Lincoln draw or win though and I'd rather the Blackpool win. We would need to win next week anyway, so we might as well give ourselves the best opportunity to finish 5th we can.

Unbelievable stress watching this Cheltenham Lincoln fixture. It all rests on this.

I was going to say Burton score pivotal - them staying ahead keeps Cheltenham pushing.
But I’m not convinced I want Cheltenham to push. Lincoln are strong on the break. Maybe a Reading equaliser and a confused Cheltenham, not knowing whether to stick or twist based on their game in hand, would be better for us.

Or maybe I’m overthinking

With burton winning then Cheltenham have to go for the win - don’t know if that helps or not

If other clubs can win under pressure, but we can't, then there's part of our explanation as to why we didn't make it.

Watching this Blackpool game and they've been in another league compared to Barnsley, should be atleast 3-0 up.
Urgency all over the pitch from them and creating dangerous chances with their fast pace and bossing the midfield.

Just had a flashback to Blackpool's late equaliser at the Kassam.......

Northampton equaliser at home was worse as it was our naive play that caused it.

Exeter winning at Northampton with 10 men.

Pompey losing at home so won't be aiming for 100 points at Lincoln next Saturday.

Pompey are really good at getting late goals--so still could be aiming for 100 points!

They'll beat Lincoln regardless.

Hope so, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom