World Cup Will you be watching? Or Protesting

Will you watch any of this years World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
I know a few people who say they will not be watching ANY of this years World Cup, what will you be doing?

I'll be watching as and when it fits in with what I'm doing. Will watch the England games for sure.

I'll probably watch some of it, but this is probably the first time in my life that I've been relatively unexcited for the World Cup. And not just for the background corruption that led to the selection of the host nation, or the various human rights abuses that you have to stomach to try and enjoy it as a competition.

It's supposed to be the apex of football, and it's just been crowbarred into the middle of the season, while most nations have some of their better players out injured. Those that aren't injured will probably have one eye on the rest of their season - Premier League and European Competition - and will want to keep themselves fit for those. There's no prospect of rest after the tournament unless you get knocked out early, and they'll be playing in sweltering heat with air conditioning having to go throughout the whole match so no one has a cardiac arrest.

I just can't see this being the footballing extravaganza that it usually is, apart from the one caveat that everyone is coming into the tournament immediately off the back of 20+ matches so far this season, so should potentially keep sharp. But we don't have a good enough squad to properly compete and to be honest I'd probably end up feeling a little ill if this ended up being the tournament to bring it home in.

will watch England & (probably) Wales games - until England (& Wales) exit

Im really not too interested in many of the other games- unusual as I normally take quite a bit of interest in both World & European football competition finals, as in watch most games

I'll probably watch quite a lot of it. But that does not imply that I have anything other than contempt for the way it was awarded, huge misgivings about who it was awarded to and annoyance about where in the footballing year it has has to be put.

England will, I suspect be very average - get out of the group and then...

Last edited:
I'll probably watch quite a lot of it. But that does not imply that I have anything other than contempt for the way it was awarded, huge misgivings about who it was awarded to and annoyance abut where is the footballing year it has has to be put.

England will, I suspect be very average - get out of the group and then...
Lose to the Dutch most probably.

If you feel so strongly about this human rights malarkey, why didn't you 'protest' about it when Russia and Qtart were given the licence to sportswash? Every single violation Qatar is guilty of now - it was guilty of then. And as for Russia - they had already invaded and 'cleansed' Chechnya (Dagestan, Transnistria and more) to effectively annex the place under their client the now as well as then murderer Ramzan Kadyrov; at least the Qtartis only f**k people up in their own country (mostly).

England WC finals prediction- Qualify from the group stage, exit first KO game

Wales WC finals prediction- fail to qualify from the group stage

Everyone will watch it when England are on. Regardless of what they say.
England games will be the ones i make sure i dont watch. Hate the manager and boring defensive football.

England to get knocked out in the group stage after two 0-0s and 1-0 defeat against Wales.

I will watch the England games I will also watch some of the others game depending on if it fits in with what I'm doing I don't think I'm looking forward to it as much as I normally do when it's in the summer months but it is what it is

If you feel so strongly about this human rights malarkey, why didn't you 'protest' about it when Russia and Qtart were given the licence to sportswash? Every single violation Qatar is guilty of now - it was guilty of then. And as for Russia - they had already invaded and 'cleansed' Chechnya (Dagestan, Transnistria and more) to effectively annex the place under their client the now as well as then murderer Ramzan Kadyrov; at least the Qtartis only f**k people up in their own country (mostly).
I did. Nobody took any notice.

Everyone will watch it when England are on. Regardless of what they say.
Reminds me of the scene from the film Looking for Eric when all the FC United fans leave the pub saying they don't support Man Utd anymore but when United score they all coming running back in cheering.

Reminds me of the scene from the film Looking for Eric when all the FC United fans leave the pub saying they don't support Man Utd anymore but when United score they all coming running back in cheering.

I attended the last Euros, Russia & France before that. Won’t be going to Qatar, too costly & not a fan of a fabricated/franchise feeling World Cup.

I’ll still watch as every England game.

Interesting documentary released on Netflix about FIFA corruption. Having watched the first episode it doesn’t exactly help build my enthusiasm about the whole corrupt show coming up in Qatar.

I'll watch all the England and Netherlands games. And if nothing else to do, then what ever is showing.

I am going to attempt to watch every single group game (the fact that the first eight days of four games-per-day falls during Thanksgiving week should make this doable!)
Will probably miss a bunch of the knockout games though as work will get in the way again......

The World Cup group stages are what I love. And they're about to be ruined by FIFA going to three team groups in 2026, so need to take full advantage this year as it could be the last chance ever......

Back
Top Bottom