• Draw

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • OUFC win

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manning is an excellent, long term choice and will fill the ground with time. Appleton would’ve filled the ground instantly. Righty or wrongly, that’s just common sense. I don’t know what’s bad about acknowledging that. Nobody is saying Manning was a crap appointment or crying about it. I think most people are very positive about Manning (I like him a lot) but it’s a slow burner and that’s not helped by the fact the club are not giving him any exposure. So what they’ve done is brought in a brand new face and hidden him behind the bushes. Today marks a week since we last heard from him and social media is the fastest and most direct way to engage fans. It’s just weird. His opposite number this Saturday (DF) did an interview yesterday stressing the importance of fans in their play off hunt. Lip service or not, he’s visible and doing the necessaries to fill every seat possible. For those who want to get behind Manning and eventually hold him in the same esteem as Appleton are having it made very difficult for them.

I agree with you on one thing. If you are someone who can and isn’t because of where we are in the league specifically then that’s not what being a fan is about. I don’t pick and choose my attendance based on results but if I see a lack of effort, for example, that makes me less bothered. However, if you (addressing all fans) feel like you’re not in the trenches with the club in the battle to stay up, that might be a result of the club’s flakey leadership and limp-dick efforts to get you back on board. Maybe they don’t think bums on seats will make a difference.

When a manager is replaced it’s not uncommon for those making the decision to select a a new manager with opposite personality traits to the previous incumbent. Intentionally or not the board appeared to have gone down that route.

Robinson loved all the self promotion media stuff, whether it be in house, local or national. Manning appears to be a very different character.

I got the feeling with Manning especially just after his announcement as the new manager, he was doing all the interviews and media obligations just because he knew it was part of the job, not because he particularly enjoyed it. Sure he was excited to get the job and that showed, but at the same time I suspect he sees himself as a hands on coach and just wants to get onto the training pitches to impart his ideas and philosophy to the players and coaching staff, not sat in front of a microphone.

That’s not to say he shouldn’t do the media stuff, that clearly is part of the job in today’s world, but I reckon we’ll see a lot less of it from Manning than we did from Robinson. Personally I don’t think that’s a bad thing, less is more in some situations.

When a manager is replaced it’s not uncommon for those making the decision to select a a new manager with opposite personality traits to the previous incumbent. Intentionally or not the board appeared to have gone down that route.

Robinson loved all the self promotion media stuff, whether it be in house, local or national. Manning appears to be a very different character.

I got the feeling with Manning especially just after his announcement as the new manager, he was doing all the interviews and media obligations just because he knew it was part of the job, not because he particularly enjoyed it. Sure he was excited to get the job and that showed, but at the same time I suspect he sees himself as a hands on coach and just wants to get onto the training pitches to impart his ideas and philosophy to the players and coaching staff, not sat in front of a microphone.

That’s not to say he shouldn’t do the media stuff, that clearly is part of the job in today’s world, but I reckon we’ll see a lot less of it from Manning than we did from Robinson. Personally I don’t think that’s a bad thing, less is more in some situations.
Manning is working very hard behind the scenes to put things back on an even keel
He doesn't need to continually come out and tell us how hard he's working, which in my experience is the sign of a lazy bastard
If the results improve, as most of us expect (they couldn't get much worse) then we'll all be happy

Last edited:
Manning is working very hard behind the scenes to put things back on an even keel
He doesn't need to continually come out and tell us how hard he's working, which in my experience is the sign of a lazy bastard
If the results improve, as most of expect (they couldn't get much worse) then we'll all be happy
Completely agree. I couldn't care less if LM fulfils his minimum media obligations and nothing more. It's all about the results. Nothing else matters for the next month. And frankly, after five years of increasingly deranged drivel from KR, it's refreshing to have someone in charge who can actually complete full sentences and who doesn't reference himself every thirty seconds.

No word from Manning since 21st March. Our new, exciting leader taking us in to the next chapter, apparently. And based on the general hate towards Karl by the end and the cost to sack him, you’d think they’d maximise that opportunity to bond with the fans.

I really miss pictures of our football team head coach girning over the shoulders of a couple of deprived kids (with a bloke who looks full of chip fat in and out) and showing how much he cares, too. Or posts on here that he's been at the women's game with his phone clamped to his ear.

I trust Mr Manning is paying full attention to first team matters, which is what he's being paid for.

I really miss pictures of our football team head coach girning over the shoulders of a couple of deprived kids (with a bloke who looks full of chip fat in and out) and showing how much he cares, too. Or posts on here that he's been at the women's game with his phone clamped to his ear.

I trust Mr Manning is paying full attention to first team matters, which is what he's being paid for.
Agree entirely, how people still crave for KR type talking the talk while it all was falling down around his ears while now we have a Manager actually doing what is required is beyond me.

3-0 Peterborough.

In every single position on the pitch, they have better players than we do.
I know, terrible isn't it. Let's not even bother.

You're probably right but it doesn't make it any easier reading posts like this. Much easier though it is to lie on the sofa and watch the game and I've done that a few times this season, the cancellation of the rail strike has encouraged me to get a ticket and go. An easy and not to expensive train journey from London and a brisk walk to the ground.

I completely empathise with those who won't or can't go for any number of reasons and I'm certainly not having a pop, it's just continued defeatist posts like this that have me rolling my eyes.

What I would expect to see is an improved performance, and maybe a new formation that suits he players we have better. I would expect we would be harder to beat, although I have no idea where our firepower is going to come from. I would love a draw (a win maybe asking too much), but a loss with above mentioned performance would be ok and give us something to build on.

If we persist with 433 and deliver another bad performance I would begin to worry about our chances of survival and be disappointed with the impact Manning has had.

I have to admit I am on the fence regarding Manning. Maybe its unfair, maybe its just my massive concern that the board are indeed totally clueless in football matters and therefore their choices are suspect, I don't know. I really want to be impressed with Manning and I am desperate for him to succeed and to keep us up. He has now had 3 weeks and a lucky 2 week gap to reorganize I would expect a good manager to have had achieved something I guess we will see. I want to believe but so far I'm not there yet, a couple of decent performances and I will be there. Lets hope it starts this weekend.

It shouldn’t be up to LM to do the public relations stuff 24/7, but the football club as a whole is beyond terrible at making people give a toss. Somebody should be generating content and trying to engage the fan base, and the likes of our beloved CEO should be more visible. Thomas was a cock but was a good marketeer and understood the value of visibility, as did Ashton. Even Eales bought us a bloody banger.

Manning should be doing nothing but his job where possible right now, but nobody else appears to be doing theirs. That is the issue.

Exaggeration craves a vacuum! Indeed it is patently nonsense to say that the board have no knowledge of football matters when individuals have been involved at league level if not Premier in several countries. It may not be employed in the correct fashion but that is a different matter.

That was the day I first saw Tiger at a match, before he became owner/ chairman, I also got a photo of my lad with Argon, and another with Pep, they looked similar with their scruffy beards

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1679982823009.jpg
    FB_IMG_1679982823009.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 11
Exaggeration craves a vacuum! Indeed it is patently nonsense to say that the board have no knowledge of football matters when individuals have been involved at league level if not Premier in several countries. It may not be employed in the correct fashion but that is a different matter.
Sorry what I meant was that the board has recently demonstrated that they have poor decision making regarding the running of the football (on the pitch) side of the club. They may be great at football finance, stadium projects, and other high level stuff. But who can honestly defend them for utter shambles of the Summer, January and the timing of sorting out the complete mess of the team management. There is no excuse for not getting rid of KR in November (or in the Summer) everyone could see that. Instead their complete inaction may well cost us a relegation. If so they carry as much responsibility for this as KR. I hope they have learnt their lessons and we can now look forward to the success they aimed to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom