Home Match Day Thread 12/11/2022 L1: OUFC V Port Vale

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, one game later after saying he's not a right back!!
I can't believe people are still dwelling on that sentence. Robinson just opens his mouth and random thoughts come out, it's not worth fixating on them. The main thing is that Anderson looks a pretty good player and did well as an attacking full back. Just a shame he didn't sign earlier.

I can't believe people are still dwelling on that sentence. Robinson just opens his mouth and random thoughts come out, it's not worth fixating on them. The main thing is that Anderson looks a pretty good player and did well as an attacking full back. Just a shame he didn't sign earlier.
Spot on.
He looks a pretty good player as you say. Quick, skilful and improving.
Let's hope he continues to play and improve. He could end up being a decent player for us

He does look a decent player, has some good attributes. Once he's got used to league one football I can see him being one of our better players consistently.
It still doesn't alter that KR told Nathan that Seddon played RB because Anderson isn't one. It's not a fixation I can assure you.

He does look a decent player, has some good attributes. Once he's got used to league one football I can see him being one of our better players consistently.
It still doesn't alter that KR told Nathan that Seddon played RB because Anderson isn't one. It's not a fixation I can assure you.
Anderson was out in the cold initially and only came into the team when there were few other options
He's taken his chance well
Good luck to the lad

Anderson was out in the cold initially and only came into the team when there were few other options
He's taken his chance well
Good luck to the lad
He was unfit for a while , and not surprisingly taken some time to get used to English football as he readily accepted.
When he got his chance, as you said he has taken it ( I think he started slowly but is improving game to game)

Robinson could say that "a player" was born on Mars and some would still be berating him because the player didn't have antenna and three eyes when it's patently obvious he was human all along.....

Screenshot_20221114_235557.jpg

Best in the league? This kid is out of this world!!!

There’s a bit of literalism going on in this discussion about KR playing players “in the wrong position”. Anderson was clearly in a reasonable position for that game and did very well. Similarly all of the talk about Brown really being a centre back and being played out of position … except he’s been player of the season this far and does a great job attacking and defending from left back.
You definitely feel that people are looking to find fault even when things turn out well. If KR was saying the right things and it wasn’t working, folk would say “actions speak louder than words”, but saying the wrong things and getting decisions right doesn’t get credit.

There’s a bit of literalism going on in this discussion about KR playing players “in the wrong position”. Anderson was clearly in a reasonable position for that game and did very well. Similarly all of the talk about Brown really being a centre back and being played out of position … except he’s been player of the season this far and does a great job attacking and defending from left back.
You definitely feel that people are looking to find fault even when things turn out well. If KR was saying the right things and it wasn’t working, folk would say “actions speak louder than words”, but saying the wrong things and getting decisions right doesn’t get credit.
Be serious. We've seen Mousse, Sedds and Goldi at RB, Henry at RWB, four CBs playing across the back, Bodin and Joseph on the wing, Browne centre forward, McGuane as a CDM and Gorrin as an attacking midfielder! I've probably missed a few too!

I quite agree - total over reaction to one of his utterings which mainly should be taken with a pinch of salt! I too was impressed with Anderson's performance.

Some positioning has been a mess, but some are just looking for excuses.

"Playing 4 centre backs" is ridiculous when you look at Sam Long playing the vast majority of his professional career at right back, including being player of the season whilst there. Ciaron Brown has played almost every game for Oxford at left back and is one of the stand out performers this season from that position.

We keep being told that McGuane isn't a deep sitting midfielder and needs to play further forward, but alongside Brown, he is our best player this season from the role he has made his own.

Before the game on Saturday a poster was saying that the team selection was wrong because Henry and Bodin are centre midfielders, yet play either of them there and they're wingers/wide forwards. Joseph playing on the right of a front three is criticised because he's a forward, but we've seen some of his best games from playing wider of the front three.

Don't get me wrong, Seddon at left back, Henry as a wing back - these are signs of desperation that I hope we don't repeat. But others don't really stand up to the criticism that some give.

As Mr Appleton was oft fond of saying "It isn't about making the right decisions, it's about making your decisions right"

Spot on.
With regard to the four centre back comments that is pretty daft in my view. Sam Long sure was a CB at youth team level but has played the vast majority if his games ( over 200?) at rightback.
McGuane to me looks far better as a deep lying midfield player than he did playing further forward last season.
Anderson has done well at right back the past couple of games. Could he become a Cadden type right back? Who knows, vwe will no doubt find out, but promising

He’s taken Long’s position IMO. Really starting to settle in and grow in confidence. Can’t see what Long offers us that’s better than Anderson. That back 4 today is not ideal but given there’s not a lot we can do about it, I’d happily rely on that until January.
Another RB/CB cover which is a plus I suooose

What would happen to Ciaron Brown, were we to sign a top notch left back?
Might push him on to play even better. Allows more tactical flexibility and would allow us to play a back 3.

As good as Brown has been, if he has a drop off in form he's still pretty much a shoe in for the left back role, so some healthy competition can only be a good thing.

I can't believe people are still dwelling on that sentence. Robinson just opens his mouth and random thoughts come out, it's not worth fixating on them.
You are right, but it is an indicator of his muddled thinking - and remember he was very short with Nathan when he dared to suggest that Anderson might be a better right back than Seddon! Which has proved (within the time of two games) to be completely correct. I'd quite like a manager who thought before he spoke - lord alone knows what he says to the players at times!

Be serious. We've seen Mousse, Sedds and Goldi at RB, Henry at RWB, four CBs playing across the back, Bodin and Joseph on the wing, Browne centre forward, McGuane as a CDM and Gorrin as an attacking midfielder! I've probably missed a few too!
Seddon came on at right back once, played well and scored.
Bodin can play on the wing. Joseph played out wide for Wigan and did well there just as he has done well there for us.
McGuane has been out stand out player this season as CDM.

Players now a days need to be able to play in various positions to stand more chance of playing and managers need to get versatile players in to maximise the squad.

This happens at most clubs.

Robinson could say that "a player" was born on Mars and some would still be berating him because the player didn't have antenna and three eyes when it's patently obvious he was human all along.....
And conversely, Robinson could clearly and categorically state a list of ten things that were immediately proven to be false, diametrically opposite to the truth even, and some on here would say “Come on, it’s Karl, you know not to listen to what he says!!”

Christ I feel sorry for some of you lots partners: “Well yes I know I said that, repeatedly, but come on, you know me, I just say things! I didn’t mean it! Why are you annoyed?! You know to take what I say with a pinch of salt!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom