FA Cup FA CUP Shock

congrats Grimsby beating Southampton 1-2 in the 5th round of the FA Cup

despite so called 'top clubs' efforts to devalue the oldest cup competition in the world- there's still a bit a cup magic around
Astonishing that it wasn’t on TV here in the UK!

Grimsby fans travel all the way to Southampton to see a cup shock, and a rewarded with.... Brighton away. Certainly piling up the miles in this cup run.

With only Man City and Man U left of the big clubs and with the draw Brighton have just got they will surely not rest players even though its against Grimsby so thats most likely the end of the run for them, been a cracking cup run though as they have faced teams higher than them in every game.

With only Man City and Man U left of the big clubs and with the draw Brighton have just got they will surely not rest players even though its against Grimsby so thats most likely the end of the run for them, been a cracking cup run though as they have faced teams higher than them in every game.
I'm sure people were saying that about Brighton in the FA cup back in 1982!

Enjoyed watching the games last night.
Very well done Grimsby and well played Max Crocombe !!!

I'm sure people were saying that about Brighton in the FA cup back in 1982!I

It’s just about the worst draw they could have got. Any home draw would have been preferable, if it had to be away then either City or United for the glamour or one of the championship sides for a slightly better chance of progressing. That leaves two similar clubs in Brighton and Fulham and I think Fulham, on paper, in London etc would have been the pick from those two - Brighton are the stronger of those two.

Away at a Brighton side really going for it is a tough fixture for the best sides in the country, for a fourth division team who have already upset the odds a fair few times then its very likely to be the end of a cup run, hell of an achievement to get to the quarter finals though and it's a shame they didn't get Man U away as a reward.

Coincidentally I'm travelling up to Grimsby tomorrow, to stay with relatives for the weekend, while taking in the Lincoln game. Be interesting to see what my relative thinks of us on Saturday, as he's coming to the game with me. I've spent all this time telling him how good we are, and now he's going to see us at our lowest while they're at their highest point in years.

Still Cleethorpes seafront should be lively tomorrow night!

I got invited to the Saints Grimsby game in an exec box. Facilities decent, food served was excellent, service was really good too. The ground was impressive, but it was out of reach to anywhere else, no parking, nearest train station about 20 mins walk away, and it is in a real dive of an area. To think that Oxford are having complaints about traffic at their new proposed ground site yet it will have a train station over the road, it's on a bus route, and very close to 2 park and ride car parking stops. Think we need perspective on this point, SB or the Triangle will be able to deliver potentially the best transport links in the whole country to a football ground if it is built there.

But oh my god the football that Southampton served up was absolutely dreadful. If you thought Oxford are bad they are at a completely worse level. Never mind them going down this season, they could very easily go down again next season if they play like that. It was like they were all statues, no one was running, when they did get in down the sides no one was in the box. Midfield was useless until Ward-Prowse came on. And the defence always has a mistake in them. I am very confident that if Oxford played Southampton now even at our absolutely lowest ebb there would be a battling and horrible to watch 0-0.

Had to laugh at the pre-match when the Saints team coach turned up. It parked outside the players entrance, and in a fanfare of music and lights the players were announced off the coach most enthusiastically as if they were some sort of sporting heroes of the absolute best ever. Very very embarrassing. It was so not worthy and really pathetic. To their credit they did Grimsby the same fanfare when they arrived too. It was just dreadful though and you had to watch it because you couldn't believe it was actually happening bearing in mind the zero quality of player they were doing it for.

Back
Top Bottom