Tickets 1350 Peterborough Away Ticket Allocation

I'm not talking about refunds, it's passing tickets onto other fans. The only method of re-sale should be through the club. Being a ST holder yourself how would you feel if you didn't get a ticket and found that a ST holder who couldn't attend bought a ticket for a mate who rarely goes. Not saying that happens but it could under the current system whereas through the club it could be passed to the next person on a waiting list, maybe when the tickets sell out an option to join a waiting list could be added and used for this purpose.
But the problem then is that:

A) The purchaser wouldn’t get the loyalty points, which was my whole point. Selling on to a friend, while still being acknowledged on the system, guarantees you still get your ‘points’, so if that’s your motivation there’s no real reason to return it to the club. (And if you do still get the points, there’s no reason at all not to buy the tickets every game and return them, thus a closed shop.) You then also get the issue of how the resale allocation works. It would presumably still be a points system, perpetuating the problem, or the first come first served situation that has caused so much strife this time round.

B) I’m not sure how you implement a system that confirms the identity of the person at the turnstiles who holds the ticket. You can try and say sure, if it’s not your name on the ticket you can’t get in the ground, but then you need to implement ID checks for everyone getting into grounds to ensure they are who they say they are. And what do you do with kids etc who might not have ID?

This whole situation feels really mountain out of molehill stuff. The fact is 5000 people logged on at 4 pm last week to get 1350 tickets. Tiny differences in server speed, for example, could have meant certain individuals got through and some didn’t. We’re not a big enough club to necessitate these wholesale changes to the system; loyalty points would have made a difference in, what, three games in the last however many years? And two of those were in the COVID December, which was obviously a completely unique situation.

How about this: if the demand from season ticket holders is expected to be more than the tickets available, the OUFC ticket office consults their records and finds a recent league away game where the amount of tickets sold to season ticket holders was less than the forthcoming game's allocation. Tickets go on sale to this group, season ticket holders a day later, then members, etc. The game they selected would have to be a game where tickets weren't available on the day, but that is getting more and more common (I'm not sure why).

This wouldn't be completely fair (the odd person may have missed only that one game for instance) but it would hoover up all the fans who go to every single game home and away.

But the problem then is that:

A) The purchaser wouldn’t get the loyalty points, which was my whole point. Selling on to a friend, while still being acknowledged on the system, guarantees you still get your ‘points’, so if that’s your motivation there’s no real reason to return it to the club. (And if you do still get the points, there’s no reason at all not to buy the tickets every game and return them, thus a closed shop.) You then also get the issue of how the resale allocation works. It would presumably still be a points system, perpetuating the problem, or the first come first served situation that has caused so much strife this time round.

B) I’m not sure how you implement a system that confirms the identity of the person at the turnstiles who holds the ticket. You can try and say sure, if it’s not your name on the ticket you can’t get in the ground, but then you need to implement ID checks for everyone getting into grounds to ensure they are who they say they are. And what do you do with kids etc who might not have ID?

This whole situation feels really mountain out of molehill stuff. The fact is 5000 people logged on at 4 pm last week to get 1350 tickets. Tiny differences in server speed, for example, could have meant certain individuals got through and some didn’t. We’re not a big enough club to necessitate these wholesale changes to the system; loyalty points would have made a difference in, what, three games in the last however many years? And two of those were in the COVID December, which was obviously a completely unique situation.
I'd like to think the club's attitude would be a bit more pro-active to prevent a repeat no matter how remote the likelihood of that happening again. Better that than the club just shrugging its' shoulders and do nothing until it happens again. Hindsight doesn't work the first time but does for all subsequent times?

If anyone is looking to buy a ticket, there is a bloke on twitter that is trying to profiteer from other OUFC fans, instead of moving his ticket on at face value...go and check him out.

He professes to be an OUFC supporter, too. Not a scam.

If anyone is looking to buy a ticket, there is a bloke on twitter that is trying to profiteer from other OUFC fans, instead of moving his ticket on at face value...go and check him out.

He professes to be an OUFC supporter, too. Not a scam.
Hopefully he will be banned from buying tickets in the future .

Agreed. One thing I’m very wary of with the ‘loyalty points’ system that has been mooted on here so much recently is that getting away tickets very quickly becomes a closed shop. If you look at your Manchester United’s or Newcastle’s, from what I’ve heard you get the same 3,000 or so people with the most points hovering up the away allocation every week just so they don’t lose loyalty points. They then habitually sell on / give to friends and family if they can’t go. So unless you’re one of those 3,000 or know one of them well enough to get the ticket second hand, you’re basically not getting away tickets.
Newcastle have introduced ID checks for all away games. If you are found to be using a ticket not allocated to you, both you and the ticket buyers are banned. Means a lot of inconvenience, as well as empty seats when fans don't travel.

With the posibility of us making the playoffs, the Exeter tickets issued to ST holders for instance could have had a priority number on them which would give them the opportunity to apply first should that happen then followed by remaining ST holders.

With the posibility of us making the playoffs, the Exeter tickets issued to ST holders for instance could have had a priority number on them which would give them the opportunity to apply first should that happen then followed by remaining ST holders.
Which would of course have been fairer - but it would have been moving the goalposts, since all ST holders are supposed to get priority for tickets *not* ST holders who have also fulfilled some other sort of criteria. If that or something similar is what is done in future (and I hope it becomes necessary on a regular basis!) it will have to be set out when the ST's are sold to people.

Something very odd with the ticketing situation. I have heard of a lot of people who failed to get one first time around that have now been able to get one (myself included, I'm pleased to say).

That would be a great way to reward those few hardened supporters who stuck with us in the sold out away end where we could make the playoffs.

Newcastle have introduced ID checks for all away games. If you are found to be using a ticket not allocated to you, both you and the ticket buyers are banned. Means a lot of inconvenience, as well as empty seats when fans don't travel.
I would imagine Newcastle have the facility to take back tickets and then sell them to the next fan, sounds great to me, means you don't get a bunch of melts trying to flog them for 400% of face value to genuine fans

Back
Top Bottom