Current Player #18 Marcus McGuane

I was so convinced they were going to score from that corner that I went and hid in the kitchen for a few minutes until it had passed.
Yeah I was curled up in a ball on the end of the sofa for the last 10 minutes, whimpering

I was thinking the exact same. Are we saying Tyler's out for the final??
Whatever Des goes with, it’s crucial we press close on or even man-mark Josh Sheehan, who has been outstanding this season and destroyed us at their place. His tidy passing and set-pieces are a big threat.

Whatever Des goes with, it’s crucial we press close on or even man-mark Josh Sheehan, who has been outstanding this season and destroyed us at their place. His tidy passing and set-pieces are a big threat.
I thought we kept Randall quieter at their place than in the second half at ours, I’m sure there’s a plan

I disagree about being unduly worried about them. I hope that we focus on our strengths and let Bolton worry us. We're a very different team to the one that played Bolton a couple of months ago. Since that game we've won 6, drawn 3 and lost 1, scoring 21 and conceding 5. Bolton over the same period won 4, drew 4 and lost 2. They've scored 20 and conceded 13.

If we can't believe in ourselves now then I don't think we ever will.

I take it all back. After an outstanding season this year, Sheehan was nullified and shown as ordinary by our hard-working midfield. I firmly think we should sign him up though.

Weird thing is, if we'd stayed in League One, I was all for letting McGuane walk this summer.

Now we're Championship bound, I'm more inclined to trigger McGuane's option. His technical proficiency could be really helpful in the second tier, we may need to slow the game down more often at that level to compete, and his wages will be more easily absorbed in a Championship budget.

I've not always been the biggest McGuane fan (mainly because I think he plays far too within himself), but credit where it's due, he was really good when he came on against Peterborough in the semi-final second leg and again against Bolton on Saturday.

Last edited:
Retain him based on an impressive play off cameo?

It’s time to be hard nosed
Quick no
Good passer only short and side and back
Aggressive no
Gets caught in possession yes
Outstanding L1 player no

Offer a new contract???

I got the impression when he walked around on his own clapping the fans at Wembley that he was perhaps saying farewell.
Hope we hold on to him though. On his day he is unplayable, he lost his way a bit later in this season but he was outstanding early on.

Having watched the game back, he was probably the best player on the pitch from the time he came on. The fouls he won, yellow cards for any Bolton player who touched him, the ball retention (same goes for McEachran) and defensive work around our box was top, top class. Credit to him for working at his game and getting back into the reckoning.

Risky yes for me. I still think he could flourish in the Championship.

Either way I won’t be heartbroken if he does move on.

I suspect he would be more of a rotational player if we trigger his clause. For me, this could improve his output as he will have less minutes. He has often had a strong start to a season but then tails off and that could be due to the number of minutes making him tire for whatever reason.

Difficult call for the club. I like McGuane a lot and there’s a strong argument that his kind of qualities will look far more at home at the next level rather than in amongst the end to end choppy aerial chaos of league one where midfields are largely bypassed or kicked.

The question would be where does he fit in and how easy would he be to replace cost effectively bearing in mind keeping him is a budget friendly option.

Back
Top Bottom