Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Let’s not rewrite history, parts of this season were f*****g dire and actually getting worse.

Did anyone, genuinely, hand on heart see this coming after Bolton?!

It’s been an incredible turnaround and huge credit given, but to suggest it was only ever a matter of time is fanciful at best. Something changed and clicked.

Des looks like a manager now rather than a lost soul.
I don't think anyone is rewriting history and I don't think anyone is saying it was a matter of time.

What I think a lot of people are rightly saying is that, not everything going wrong on the pitch up to and including Bolton was Des's fault and he was having to deal with a lot of farcical issues post-Manning due to the incompetence above him.

The support he received from Williams and Ferguson in those first couple of months was not right and it was embarrassing watching the assistant manager debacle play out in public. The Bolton performance backed him into a corner and he's come out firing on all cylinders. It's even more power to Des that he's been able to turn it around DESPITE the obstacles put in front of him.

This is a man who has taken us to Wembley after finding out his dream job wasn't the perfect scenario he hoped it would be and has been vindicated for sticking with it despite taking dog's abuse from some fans. Most of us are just delighted for him for coming through it and for seeing an Oxford boy thrive, I don't see much 'I told you so' tonight.

Really warmed to Des tonight, it was great to see the passion and desire he displayed. Something I’ve been waiting for in terms of a public showing and it was magnificent to see. The post Bolton match was make or break, he’s shown unbelievable character and turned things around since then. He deserves the plaudits for the way he’s gone about it and the determination to succeed and prove the doubters (myself included) wrong.

Well done Des, brilliant stuff.

So pleased for Des. Undoubtedly he looked the shell of the manager we all hoped for at times, and it felt like he was struggling with confidence. But he always said that we should judge him once he gets key players fit and playing his way, and we've seen an Oxford United that can not only play breath-taking football like we saw in the Peterborough home game, but we can also mix it and battle like we've seen in the last few games.

Getting a tune out of Murphy is one thing. Getting him tracking back and tackling everywhere is something else. He is very good with players and we're beginning to see the benefit of some of his individual coaching as well building confidence in them individually and collectively.

Still much more to do and the summer transfers will be interesting where ever we're playing, but we're seeing the value of a little patience and long term thinking rather than some of the knee jerk stuff we'd seen before.

Let’s not rewrite history, parts of this season were f*****g dire and actually getting worse.

It’s been an incredible turnaround and huge credit given, but to suggest it was only ever a matter of time is fanciful at best. Something changed and clicked.

I don't think many expected to see it turn around so quickly and click like the way it did post-Bolton, but that's what can happen when you give a new manager time. Sometimes things won't work out immediately, and sometimes it might not always be clear what the manager is trying to achieve due to the execution on the pitch; but a little bit of trust, faith and patience can go a long way.

In a world where everyone wants everything immediately - be it fast food, a bingeable series on Netflix, next day Amazon delivery or a new manager to start winning from day one - sometimes it's better allowing some time for things to grow and flourish.

I don't think many expected to see it turn around so quickly and click like the way it did post-Bolton, but that's what can happen when you give a new manager time. Sometimes things won't work out immediately, and sometimes it might not always be clear what the manager is trying to achieve due to the execution on the pitch; but a little bit of trust, faith and patience can go a long way.

In a world where everyone wants everything immediately - be it fast food, a bingeable series on Netflix, next day Amazon delivery or a new manager to start winning from day one - sometimes it's better allowing some time for things to grow and flourish.
The change around just in his manner is incredible- he’s very confident now but was frankly gormless when he arrived.

I think the casing point is, some never game him a chance from the start. I'm glad he has proven you wrong. He deserved more respect. Good lad Des.

George Elek tonight
Fair play to Posh, they’ll feel hard done by to have come away from that without at least taking it to ET, especially after the late chances. Fine margins in play-off football, but thought the way #oufc defended to a man was phenomenal.

We were always going to have to hurt this eve, we had to sit off and invite them onto us as anything else would have been a kamikaze way of defending a lead at maybe the league’s best home team, but we conceded very few chances from open play which is promising

There will be spells at Wembley where it will be the same, but we carried a threat on the counter tonight and that’s important. That experience this evening will be invaluable if the players have to step up under pressure again.

Special mention to Jamie Cumming, who has come in for some criticism since coming in but was the difference today. What a save at the death and he was the difference. Brown and Bennett also immense, and we’ll always have that Sam Long clearance
💛
💙
🗣️
EI EI EI O

Last edited:
It’s been fantastic to see him grow into the job in these last 10 games. He’s made so many good calls and has shown a real adaptability in some testing situations - particularly Stevenage, Exeter and these two play off games. Tonight was about as un-Des Buckingham like performance as you’ll ever see but I’m so pleased to have seen us put in this dour, workmanlike, spoiling, tactical performance - it’s another string to his bow and all the top teams have this in their locker. Gone is the rabbit in headlights look, the ‘I can’t believe I’m here’ demeanour and we are now seeing a confidence and steeliness about him and his interviews carry weight and conviction - you believe in him.

Yeah, Des stopped trying to play the way manning played & decided to input his own tactics & system, it was always going to take time, he was never going to get sacked and nor should he of. He came in halfway through the season with hardly any backroom staff, funny now he has his analyst we are flying.. coincidence? I think not. Up the yellows! 💛

I don't think anyone is rewriting history and I don't think anyone is saying it was a matter of time.

What I think a lot of people are rightly saying is that, not everything going wrong on the pitch up to and including Bolton was Des's fault and he was having to deal with a lot of farcical issues post-Manning due to the incompetence above him.

The support he received from Williams and Ferguson in those first couple of months was not right and it was embarrassing watching the assistant manager debacle play out in public. The Bolton performance backed him into a corner and he's come out firing on all cylinders. It's even more power to Des that he's been able to turn it around DESPITE the obstacles put in front of him.

This is a man who has taken us to Wembley after finding out his dream job wasn't the perfect scenario he hoped it would be and has been vindicated for sticking with it despite taking dog's abuse from some fans. Most of us are just delighted for him for coming through it and for seeing an Oxford boy thrive, I don't see much 'I told you so' tonight.

I think you mean DESpite.

My goodness that was a stressful night.

As @PottersRightBoot would say, that was all Muck and Nettles, and Jesus Christ, didn’t we do it well.

It was ugly, it was the onslaught we all expected, and we did whatever it took to get us through.

I love the way Posh hate us at the moment, it means we have become a frustrating, irritating and annoying team to play against.

Des has given us a backbone and from here he will continue to build 🙂

Awesome from them all.

Back
Top Bottom