New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

It’s looking like good news so far. Still a long way to go. Does anyone know who will own the land if it is leased to Oxford United FC? If it’s a long lease that would give us some surety for the future.
I would love to know how long it will be before all supporters will be ecstatic at the prospect of the new ground
Oxfordshire County council

A great and memorable day even if it is only the first hurdle in a long line of hurdles lined up ahead. Maybe we should get Colin Jackson on board. Well done to all involved it's clear we have the support and backing despite some inevitable and deceitful opposition.

I for one would like to see FoSB come onboard with the planning proposals and work together with the club, the supporters and the local authorities to help transform the Triangle area into the most eco-friendly and bio-diverse stadium in the country.
I'd be interested to see what they would propose. But I highly suspect it'll be "no stadium"

It'll still be OCC's land. This is why the arrangement works so well. No unscrupulous landlord who can sell the land from under the club's feet, OCC lease the land so they don't have to maintain it and the club have a long stay at the site.
Overall I think it's a good thing we're now talking about leasing rather than owning the land, but I don't think it's a guarantee we're safe. Take a hypothetical example in a few decades time where OUFC are owned by someone of Firoz Kassam's ilk. He cuts a backroom deal with OCC, who may be cash strapped and desperate. OUFC buy the land from OCC for £2m. OCC bite his hand off, with no discussion of covenants etc. Give it a a year or so and he transfers ownership of the stadium and his land to his holding company and starts charging OUFC rent. We're back where we started.

The lease is good as it's another shield to defend the club with (as OCC will always be accountable to the electorate at least), but it probably needs its own covenants to ensure we are future proofed for definite. This is why I was very glad councillor Enright raised this issue, it needs further debating!

As I no longer live in Oxford, do we know how supportive Cherwell council are of the project, obviously this is subject to planning and the club will be having discussions with them, but broadly what’s the view?

The issue is that FOSB aren't 'Friends' of SB or the Triangle at all. They want nothing there and would astroturf the site tomorrow if it stopped development on it. The environmental aspect is a smokescreen. It has been shown in the last 24 hours that they entertained having Trax take over the site simply as a means to delay proceedings further.

Woodland Trust and BBOWT should be consulted and informed way ahead of FOSB.

We're not going to change everyone's minds here. Leave FOSB to stew about this. They're not worth bringing onside as they're not interested even if we built a mini rainforest on the roof.

People need to get it into their heads that the likes of Middleton et al are extremists.

They despise capitalism, growth, consumerism and freedom.

I remember sitting on my step dad's shoulders singing "All we are saying is, give us a ground" outside the town hall when we were parading the milk cup. In reality, I didn't know what the hell was going on (11 years old).

Today, I understand the importance of what happened in the cabinet meeting earlier and thank all those involved for their work. That includes the OUFC project team, the councillors and council officers plus those on here who've pushed the agenda.

Overall I think it's a good thing we're now talking about leasing rather than owning the land, but I don't think it's a guarantee we're safe. Take a hypothetical example in a few decades time where OUFC are owned by someone of Firoz Kassam's ilk. He cuts a backroom deal with OCC, who may be cash strapped and desperate. OUFC buy the land from OCC for £2m. OCC bite his hand off, with no discussion of covenants etc. Give it a a year or so and he transfers ownership of the stadium and his land to his holding company and starts charging OUFC rent. We're back where we started.

The lease is good as it's another shield to defend the club with (as OCC will always be accountable to the electorate at least), but it probably needs its own covenants to ensure we are future proofed for definite. This is why I was very glad councillor Enright raised this issue, it needs further debating!
It is exceedingly rare for councils to directly slit the throat of football clubs in such a manner. The overwhelming majority of the time they pull them out of the fire because if nothing else they are enormous sources of votes.

I would rather have an extra layer of protection than not, especially if that additional party has a lot to lose by screwing the club over.

It is exceedingly rare for councils to directly slit the throat of football clubs in such a manner. The overwhelming majority of the time they pull them out of the fire because if nothing else they are enormous sources of votes.

I would rather have an extra layer of protection than not, especially if that additional party has a lot to lose by screwing the club over.
The only time I can think of is Coventry and their stadium being sold to a now defunct Wasps rugby club?

Indeed.

Mutually Assured Survival

A net zero plan is certainly obtainable.

We'll be utilising things such as sustainable timber, with less reliance on steel and concrete.

We'll be using electricity, with heat pumps for heating and hot water. We already know that solar panels will play a big part, with some stadiums globally having up to 40,000 square meters of coverages for solar panels. Whilst it won't be that big, it will still be a net contributor to the grid.

The club could well utilise the reduction in cars to site (through traffic consultants) showing their reduction in their total carbon footprint, as a side-product of moving.

Given that the construction industry uses 400 million tonnes of material every year, of which 100 million tonnes are wasted, I'd imagine re-work will be a big focus for the tender phase, with ISO-19650 being specified and a capable CDE being deployed. This all aids in reducing rework, increasing collaboration, and reducing the time on site (there-in also reducing construction traffic & wastage).

Whilst none of the pre-planning consultants are modular based, this could be something we look at during our tender phase and technical design phase. I'd also imagine that recycled materials will play a big part in the construction - the Qatar World Cup had a few designs (which I was fortunate enough to see in their design phase!)

I'd imagine there will be rainwater collection and recycling systems too.

There's more that I can't talk too much about right now, but I can say for certain that you *CAN* build a Net Zero building, both in material, construction and operation. Just don't expect it to look too traditional!

So.. there are some detailed plans due out on 9 October and the plan is to put a planning application in by the end of October.
Is that right?
I think that's correct, but also the zoom meeting on the 5th of October where there may be some of the plans shown.

I for one would like to see FoSB come onboard with the planning proposals and work together with the club, the supporters and the local authorities to help transform the Triangle area into the most eco-friendly and bio-diverse stadium in the country.

There is clear agreement that the club should be leased the land, clear agreement that Oxford United FC is a huge community asset to both the city and the county and clear agreement that the build and management of the club should be positive and progressive in terms of its environmental impact.

It would be the mature option, and I hope Mr Middleton et al recognise that they will have far more influence if they work alongside all the other stakeholders rather than against them.
I'm sort of mature but mature enough to say - if you let the meddlers meddle we will end up with a capacity lower than Clanfield 85 fc.

Time for doing everything right first time around. You measure twice and cut once.

COYY'S

As I no longer live in Oxford, do we know how supportive Cherwell council are of the project, obviously this is subject to planning and the club will be having discussions with them, but broadly what’s the view?
dont know how, if at all supportive CDC are - what I do know is Cllr Middleton and his partner Fiona Mawson are both against and both are district councillors, the latter is a member of the planning cabinet on CDC . Also, CDC are cash strapped currently I believe, something that might help them not losing so much money ought to be at least considered if not welcomed

Last edited:
A net zero plan is certainly obtainable.

We'll be utilising things such as sustainable timber, with less reliance on steel and concrete.

We'll be using electricity, with heat pumps for heating and hot water. We already know that solar panels will play a big part, with some stadiums globally having up to 40,000 square meters of coverages for solar panels. Whilst it won't be that big, it will still be a net contributor to the grid.

The club could well utilise the reduction in cars to site (through traffic consultants) showing their reduction in their total carbon footprint, as a side-product of moving.

Given that the construction industry uses 400 million tonnes of material every year, of which 100 million tonnes are wasted, I'd imagine re-work will be a big focus for the tender phase, with ISO-19650 being specified and a capable CDE being deployed. This all aids in reducing rework, increasing collaboration, and reducing the time on site (there-in also reducing construction traffic & wastage).

Whilst none of the pre-planning consultants are modular based, this could be something we look at during our tender phase and technical design phase. I'd also imagine that recycled materials will play a big part in the construction - the Qatar World Cup had a few designs (which I was fortunate enough to see in their design phase!)

I'd imagine there will be rainwater collection and recycling systems too.

There's more that I can't talk too much about right now, but I can say for certain that you *CAN* build a Net Zero building, both in material, construction and operation. Just don't expect it to look too traditional!

Well none of our other stadiums have looked normal so we should be alright on that score.

You’d imagine that OCC will have had conversations with CDC, before making the Triangle available

Back
Top Bottom