Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Moeen
Woakes
Broad
Robinson
Wood

Lawrence not risked and Wood Moeen and Woakes for Pope Anderson and Tongue.

My comments would be:

What is the point of including Lawrence in the squad if they don't have the confidence to pick him?
Glad to see Moeen Ali back as we need a spinner in there - I presume this means his finger is now OK and he will be able to bowl as much as is needed without it going again?
Not surprised Anderson isn't in the side - unfortunately he is looking like a shadow of his former self.
Tongue very very unlucky - I sort of presume he is being rested rather than dropped.
Foakes is still a big miss IMO - Bairstow isn't good enough as a test keeper.
I hope the team learns the lessons of the last two games and (while keeping much of the aggression) realises that a quiet 30 minutes as a batting team is not a disaster and does not necessarily mean you have let the other team get the upper hand - letting quick bowlers who are bowling short wear themselves out is actually a positive and shows that you won't let them dictate how you play by flapping at the ball.
I hope it doesn't end up as a bouncer war. Although effective, it was (in an enthralling game) very very dull. If it had been less effective it wouldn't have lasted so long (see above!).
I hope we manage at least one Mankad or 'Australian stumping' during the game and that the Leeds crowd really give it to the Aussies.

The action moves to West Yorkshire

skynews-yorkshire-county-cricket_5578659.jpg

England won the toss and are bowling. Warner out in the first over!
Mitch Marsh, Bolland and Todd Murphy in for Green, Hazelwood and Lyon

Looks like an almost guaranteed boundary if you hit it off the square - the ball is just racing away.

Get in Woody!! - what a beauty - big wicket to get Khawaja for 13.

Smith roundly booed to the crease:)

I still maintain that Bairstow isn't good enough as a keeper in test matches, where a couple of missed chances can cost you the game.

Good start for us - could do with another one though!

I still maintain that Bairstow isn't good enough as a keeper in test matches, where a couple of missed chances can cost you the game.

He's just proved it again! Drops Head after getting both gloves on it

Another one dropped by Bairstow - I rest my case and will shut up about it for ten minutes.

Another dropped catch.

This is no disrespect. but is JB a bit less... nimble... than a smaller WK like Foakes?

Smith walking off shaking his head and looking at the edge of his bat, despite ultra edge showing he hit it. :LOL:

Smith "dropped" by Bairstow, but Labuschagne gone. 61-3
And that's exactly why Bairstow shouldn't be keeper, not good enough for test cricket!!
I've been calling for Foakes even before the first test and moments like that just reinforce my opinion.
He'll have to hope that Head doesn't make many more.

Back
Top Bottom