Home Match Day Thread 04/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 1st Leg - OUFC vs Peterborough

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back 4 we’re superb, and Brown for me.
But Mark Harris was class tonight phenomenal front man, some work rate and must be the biggest pain in the a**e to a defence .
I didn't think any of our front three played that well. All three were decent defensively, chasing and harrying but we created little or poor end product

Subs were all very poor when they came on messed the game up
Clearly didn't actually mess it up otherwise we wouldn't have won but there are things to work on. If Mcguane was any way on his game he may have been a better option and left Dale on.

Good result, but according to the Peterborough forum they are already at Wembley and Wednesday is nothing but a formality for them. Perhaps they are correct, but that level of arrogance is only going to lead to downfall in the long run.

Surely all thier fans can’t be that deluded

Intrigued by what Des said about changing the game plan for Wednesday. Maybe back to a double pivot to shore up the defence?Or same formation, different tactics? Either way, it seemed like he knew exactly what he wanted to do already.

Clearly didn't actually mess it up otherwise we wouldn't have won but there are things to work on. If Mcguane was any way on his game he may have been a better option and left Dale on.
Browne and bodin didn’t do anything browne was letting the left back come forward not even defending

Good result, but according to the Peterborough forum they are already at Wembley and Wednesday is nothing but a formality for them. Perhaps they are correct, but that level of arrogance is only going to lead to downfall in the long run.

Ha, they barely had a sniff tonight! Makes me look forward to beating them all the more.

What a great night, I thoroughly enjoyed that. For me, it was really important to go into the away leg with an advantage and I couldn't have asked for more from the players. They completely ran themselves into the ground in those first 70 minutes and did us all proud. All I can say is, as a dad of two young kids, I wish I had Mark Harris's energy...

It was obvious that Peterborough were burned by the previous game here and came to not lose, and we played those first 70 minutes like we knew how important it was to go back to Peterborough ahead. It's only a slender lead but it definitely gives us the advantage. There's no way we need to press and expend as much energy as we did tonight, and we can be more patient and look to be more calculated with how we counter. It's obviously going to be very tough and the tie isn't done as Posh are such a threat going forward, but we've given ourselves the best chance of making Wembley tonight. Spot on, Des.

The final word for the fans - that was the best atmosphere I can remember at the world's worst meccano set and I thought as a collective we were absolutely superb. It was such a a good atmosphere - we really got behind the players and we've definitely made home advantage count tonight. If that's what we're capable of in a soulless wind tunnel we all hate, just imagine what we can do in a place that's our own on a piece of scrubland just outside Kidlington...

Bring on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Slender lead going into the away leg, could definitely have been "comfortabler" (as Mrs Emilio says in her broken English) with at least another goal.

Still, will very much take this!

Peterborough averaged 1.9 goals a game across the season. In three games against us, they’ve scored 3. And they were all in the same game. None against us in the last two games.

I’ve seen nothing positive from Browne since he’s been back in the squad. Surely his time is up.
Same comes on and is doing nothing not even sprinting to help the team doesn’t deserve to come on next game

Browne and bodin didn’t do anything browne was letting the left back come forward not even defending

He barely touched the ball. One item to mention in mitigation was that most of the balls into him were fired at his head from Cumming. I don’t think many of our team would have dealt with them that effectively.

The last 20 were needlessly nervous and invited pressure even if the Posh chances didn’t amount to anything.

I really don't think Browne has been at all great since his return. The downgrade when he comes on for Dale is a large one.
While I agree that Browne offers very little I'm not sure it's a huge downgrade on Dale currently, I haven't seen a huge amount from him although I love his attitude.MacDonald 2.0 in a winger with decent feet and a hard worker but let down by a lack of pace, often he ends up just trying to retain possession when if it were Murphy he'd have been away.

I’d describe that as a professional performance. We didn’t flex our muscles, but I think that was the game plan.
Our full backs looked to stay solid and I think we looked to maybe nick a goal on the break. First half we were the better side, but after scoring, sat back and allowed Peterborough possession. They did not really hurt us though. Cumming made a few saves straight at him and one down to his right which he made look harder than it actually was. At times, frustrating to watch but thoroughly professional. Would say we deserved the win. Well played Oxford.
Congrats to the fans as well. Picked up the volume when under the cosh a little to do our bit.
On to Wednesday.

I've had a quick look and it reminds me of the couple of seasons when we had a shot under Robinson, although they're better than we were. Think because they score loads of goals and play attractive football that no team can live with them. If a team comes out to frustrate them a little it means they aren't good enough and scoring from a set pieces is almost looked down on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom