Away Match Build Up 08/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 2nd Leg - Peterborough vs OUFC

Who Will Be Going To Wembley?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest concern I have is the latter stages of the game, they have a bench with some great options whereas nearly all of our bench players make us significantly weaker. It's a concern and big headache for Des because do you set up for the first 60 mins of the match, or be conservative with the possibility of needing to play 120 minutes? It'd be so nice to be able to rely on the pace of Dale and Goodrham coming off the bench but also that's to the detriment of our high pressing game, assuming Bodin/Browne would come in. I'd actually be tempted to start Leigh from the left and move Murphy across to the right just so we have the option of Dale coming on. As has been mentioned, Mason Clark whilst probably being their best player is fairly predictable in what he does, and a reason he's so effective is because of Burrows overlapping and creating space for him - having Murphy to pin back Burrows could give us a lot of joy, and allowing Leigh and Bennett to double up on Poku who is a lot more unpredictable but also doesn't have as *much* support from Katongo their right back. Then you have the middle of the park, I think JMc could provide a lot of composure on the ball but the removal of RR/Goodrham removes a lot of high press and stopping the play at source - I wouldn't grumble either way at Mceachran coming in and don't think you can argue against it.

In all honesty, I expected us to be coming into this game maybe one or two down with the onus on us to attack, but on paper a 1-0 scoreline suits our style down to a tee so I'm unsure if changing anything is actually necessary, sods law would suggest there will be at least some drama so I'm hoping we can see whatever that is out and nick a goal or two on the counter, but also wouldn't be surprised if at half time we are needing to overturn a 2 goal deficit. Just please get it done Oxford....
I can’t imagine they will be able to contain our front men tomorrow night like they did Saturday. I expect us to score we didnt create much in the way of clear cut chances Saturday I think tomorrow night will be different. The first goal is vital, I can’t see why we can’t go all the way this year. If we can get past the posh Wembley will be a one off occasion and we have the quality to hurt Bolton no doubt about it with the crowd behind the boys!!!! Coyy

Just taken a quick look there really struggling to get rid of tickets for this how bizarre!! There’s thousands left. Wonder how many oxford will be in the home end for this? πŸ˜‚

They only took about 22,000 to Wembley in the pizza/paint/whatever the f**k its called now Trophy, don't think they have the same levels of "background support" we have, but that's still pretty poor. Hopefully that helps us, not going t be a big, lod support behind them, if we can keep it tight though they will still feel the nervousness when it spreads around the ground.

They only took about 22,000 to Wembley in the pizza/paint/whatever the f**k its called now Trophy, don't think they have the same levels of "background support" we have, but that's still pretty poor. Hopefully that helps us, not going t be a big, lod support behind them, if we can keep it tight though they will still feel the nervousness when it spreads around the ground.
These 'crowd wars' are strange, I've seen posts on their forum having a dig at our support and even someone saying they couldn't hear us on Saturday. I thought they made a good noise on Saturday and that was more than matched by the home crowd to create a great atmosphere - when I got back and watched it on TV, that certainly was the case.

Not sure there is much between the fanbases, they've just had a bit more to cheer in recent years and perhaps take it for granted somewhat.

Oh, the drum thing is really poor though!

Interesting looking at their results against the top 6 at London Road.

Lost 0-1 to Portsmouth, lost 2-4 to Derby, drew 3-3 with Bolton, drew 2-2 with Barnsley. 3-0 win against us.

Averaging 4 goals a game. Likely we’ll need to score twice to go through.
And beat us 3-0!

These 'crowd wars' are strange, I've seen posts on their forum having a dig at our support and even someone saying they couldn't hear us on Saturday. I thought they made a good noise on Saturday and that was more than matched by the home crowd to create a great atmosphere - when I got back and watched it on TV, that certainly was the case.

Not sure there is much between the fanbases, they've just had a bit more to cheer in recent years and perhaps take it for granted somewhat.

Oh, the drum thing is really poor though!
They only had a few hundred left yesterday

Just taken a quick look there really struggling to get rid of tickets for this how bizarre!! There’s thousands left. Wonder how many oxford will be in the home end for this? πŸ˜‚
It's a real bastard when there's thousands of Oxford fans who would love to go. But I can see why they did it - even though the 1350 in the away end will make more noise than the rest of the ground whatever the score! If our players did get a boost from the sold out stadium on Saturday, hopefully the Peterborough players will get the opposite when they see the empty seats.

EDIT: I replied before checking there actually are thousands left - turns out there aren't!

Last edited:
I don’t disagree about him looking a shadow, but can see the problem Des was trying to solve. That left hand side Posh have is Championship level easily, and Dale did a brilliant job of pressurising Burrows and helping Stevens. When he’s exhausted though, who comes in to keep it up? We’ve the same problem in a couple of other areas, but that’s where Posh are at their most dangerous.

I suspect we need to be in front going into the last 30 minutes so we can retreat into that block again and defend for our lives if needed.
Their substitutions made a difference and caused us problems
Ours …… well the least said the better

I don’t disagree about him looking a shadow, but can see the problem Des was trying to solve. That left hand side Posh have is Championship level easily, and Dale did a brilliant job of pressurising Burrows and helping Stevens. When he’s exhausted though, who comes in to keep it up? We’ve the same problem in a couple of other areas, but that’s where Posh are at their most dangerous.

I suspect we need to be in front going into the last 30 minutes so we can retreat into that block again and defend for our lives if needed.
Could’ve put Long at RB and moved Stevens forward? Surely would’ve provided better defensive stability for those last 20 mins than Browne playing there?

Didn’t matter in the end, but maybe worth considering for tomorrow?

Could’ve put Long at RB and moved Stevens forward? Surely would’ve provided better defensive stability for those last 20 mins than Browne playing there?

Didn’t matter in the end, but maybe worth considering for tomorrow?
Long did a great job against Mason-Clark last season at London Road, but would seem risky to change a back 5 functioning well. I think the Greg Leigh shout further up would be the one I’d go for tomorrow, but there’s plenty of hindsight in this thread. I didn’t disagree with any of Des’ changes when they happened on Saturday.

It was a difficult game for the subs anyway on Saturday, not easy for any of them to hit the ground running. Posh only made two - one of those was a key player who was only fit to play 45 so hardly a game changing masterstroke and the other was a striker who made no meaningful impact. Our style of football demands we make changes, but I’m not sure the depth is there yet for us to maintain the same urgency for 90mins regardless of whether it’s Bodin, Leigh, Long or Henry off the bench.

The temptation for me tomorrow would be to start JMc and have Tyler or RR to bring off the bench, but in all honesty, I think we have to be ahead on aggregate after an hour tomorrow and in a position to close it out. Going with our best XI tomorrow gives us a strong chance of achieving that.

Way more than 300 left

Attachments

• 4F723273-B137-4FB5-A2D8-306DE671990D.png
    4F723273-B137-4FB5-A2D8-306DE671990D.png
    430.7 KB · Views: 22
  • D16DB18A-83E3-4A8A-B57A-8CA8D9D345EC.png
    D16DB18A-83E3-4A8A-B57A-8CA8D9D345EC.png
    397.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 4C985B10-EB36-4CDC-8FD7-2BDEDBEB4D08.png
    4C985B10-EB36-4CDC-8FD7-2BDEDBEB4D08.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 22
Way more than 300 left
This is from their forum, early this morning: Single seats only left in the Main and the Glebe now. Moys sold out. Still a fair few in the LRE, surely we can get them sold.

No one's posted anything since correcting them, so I think the blue dots you're seeing aren't legit (I'm not saying it's you - another poster on their forum said the seats they purchased were still showing as blue after they'd paid for them!)

So currently 25% of those who voted think we will not get through, that's the spirit :rolleyes:

We need the lads to get in their faces right from the whistle, controlled aggression.

It can be done, up the U's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom