Away Match Build Up 19/08/2023 - L1: Barnsley v OUFC

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the Derby game I'd have been chuffed with 4 points from Derby, Barnsley and Charlton so would be happy with a draw here.

I do think this type of game will suit us this season - they have a lot of quality in their squad but so do we.

Travelling up there more in hope than expectation, although the Derby game has increased the expectation level a little.
Unfortunately think that, at their place, Barnsley will be too strong for us.

The Derby game was obviously great and we are rightly proud of the team and LM for how they set up and executed the game plan. However, Derby were not at their best and I think we should be careful not to expect a miracle at Barnsley. A draw would be a great result.
Will still hope for a win of course!
COYY

The Derby game was obviously great and we are rightly proud of the team and LM for how they set up and executed the game plan. However, Derby were not at their best and I think we should be careful not to expect a miracle at Barnsley. A draw would be a great result.
Will still hope for a win of course!
COYY
I agree to an extent, but expect Barnsley to go for it and for that to suit us. They'll be a bit tighter than Derby, but just got blown away by Peterborough late in what was a relatively open game. Could go either way, but I'll go for 1-2 Yellows.

play like we did v Derby I reckon we could notch up another 3 points - a draw wouldn't be a bad result either
It's as much about how Barnsley play. If they are strong and press like Cambridge have we learnt enough/improved enough in two weeks to overcome that style?

I see games like this as an opportunity. Yeah it’s easier to play a poor team at home, but then everyone’s expecting us to win so if we scrape a draw then it’s disappointing and a defeat is a disaster. Here, like the Derby game, we have a chance to thrill everyone with a win and satisfy them with a draw.

Having said that, as good as we were against Derby, I do think that (as has been said by a few people) the way they set out really played into our hands. Bombard our defence with long balls? Great, you’ll find four men who are all decent in the air and love to head a ball right back at you. Leave us space in the midfield, and let our defence pass the ball around to the two midfielders? Good luck with that.

If Barnsley play more like Cambridge did we could have a problem. But they’re not infallible, and the Derby result has given us the platform to see a draw as a good result. 7 points after 4 games? I’d prefer 8, but 7 is perfectly reasonable…

I see games like this as an opportunity. Yeah it’s easier to play a poor team at home, but then everyone’s expecting us to win so if we scrape a draw then it’s disappointing and a defeat is a disaster. Here, like the Derby game, we have a chance to thrill everyone with a win and satisfy them with a draw.

Having said that, as good as we were against Derby, I do think that (as has been said by a few people) the way they set out really played into our hands. Bombard our defence with long balls? Great, you’ll find four men who are all decent in the air and love to head a ball right back at you. Leave us space in the midfield, and let our defence pass the ball around to the two midfielders? Good luck with that.

If Barnsley play more like Cambridge did we could have a problem. But they’re not infallible, and the Derby result has given us the platform to see a draw as a good result. 7 points after 4 games? I’d prefer 8, but 7 is perfectly reasonable…
Id prefer 9 - but a bonus point would be handy

Barnsley will want to bounce back after losing at home to Peterborough, would love a win of course, will be happy with a draw, will see what we are really about.

Reckon we owe them one for the Tinpot Trophy Final, great bunch of supporters, cracking day out, may the best team win.

It`ll be a draw...

RIP Michael Parkinson, Barnsley born and a fan of the club. Him and Dickie Bird have to be Barnsley's most famous fans. Sad day for the town.

Just noticed this myself. What a terrible shame, I knew he had health issues before, and no idea if connected. He was always a familiar face at cricket venues like Stephen Fry.

As for the match, I’d be happy with a draw, but I said that before I travelled to Derby, and we went and won. I don’t see no reason why we can repeat what we did on Tuesday, although 7 points to start with is nice, and then we have a rest before we play Charlton next week.

It's as much about how Barnsley play. If they are strong and press like Cambridge have we learnt enough/improved enough in two weeks to overcome that style?
There is no way that Barnsley will play anything like Cambridge.
They will come at us far more and they will let us play more than Cambridge dud.

Was that a Sunday lunchtime game? Seem to remember singing "it's just like watching Brazil" which I think was in response to Barnsley singing the same thing during their promotion season.
Vaguely remember some of the LRT singing to them (Barnsley) ' it's just like watching Rose Hill' which was the aim as they were completely outplayed that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom