World Cup 21/11/2022: Group stage - England v Iran

Homophobic nations doing well so far.

Before the usual suspects get stuck into England later in the tournament and moan, moan, moan about Southgate, we've got a typically pragmatic and clinical international-style performance from England so far. You don't need players like TAA in a side like this. You need to keep the ball, carve out openings and keep the pace modest. It's vastly different to a PL game.

Fans will bemoan it for being boring. It's not. It's careful and pragmatic and it largely works. A WC semi (when England were not a last four side ability-wise) and a Euros final show it does. Sure, England have had some stinking results in the NL and they'll face tougher challenges than Iran, but some trust in the system and approach and above all patience wouldn't go amiss.
helps if you play mostly crap teams to get nearer to the late stages.

Bit late to this thread, but does anyone reckon we would have beaten Iran?
Who, Oxford or a hodge podge 11 of yellowforum posters? I think we'd have a shot. @Osei Yaw said he was a keeper so can go in goal, @Scotchegg is used to locking people up so can go at the back. @QR on the left wing with @Essexyellows and @bashamwonderland working in tandem on the right wing. I'll be up front because I want all the glory.

Anyone else fancy chucking their name in the ring? Assume we've missed this World Cup but if anyone can find out how we apply for next years I say we give it a crack, we can have training sessions every other Saturday rather than watching the games.

Who, Oxford or a hodge podge 11 of yellowforum posters? I think we'd have a shot. @Osei Yaw said he was a keeper so can go in goal, @Scotchegg is used to locking people up so can go at the back. @QR on the left wing with @Essexyellows and @bashamwonderland working in tandem on the right wing. I'll be up front because I want all the glory.

Anyone else fancy chucking their name in the ring? Assume we've missed this World Cup but if anyone can find out how we apply for next years I say we give it a crack, we can have training sessions every other Saturday rather than watching the games.
QR and I have had some promising link up play bashing Qatar in the general World Cup thread and would create chances for our forwards.

I’ve had this row on here before so you can’t change my mind; as a former goalkeeper I know that you should do everything to unsettle the taker, deciding which way you’re going before they kick it makes it far too easy. Wait for the body shape, non kicking foot placement and trust your judgement. At least go the right f*****g way!
OK but your original point is that it was a bad penalty and Pickford should have saved it. My point was that Pickford went early and that he saw him go, and knew he just needed to roll it in the other side.

I can be the fabled right back having played regularly in that position in my local league career.

Here he is Mr positivity.

Oh I’m positive.

I’m a believer that you should be playing regular football, and be in form for your club. When it comes to international selection.

Harry Maguire shouldn’t have been selected.

Haven't watched an England game since the Euros, but man, Bellingham is a player now.

Phillips was alright but it makes such a difference to have a guy in the middle of the park who is a physical unit and serious danger going forwards.
He made his debut for Birmingham aged 16 years and 38 days. That record was almost beaten by his younger brother, Jobe, who made his debut for Birmingham aged 16 years and 107 days and who started their game on the weekend (and has also been linked to Dortmund). I think Jobe is also a midfielder, so hopefully they've got some more younger brothers who are centre backs as that's what England seem to be lacking.

Problem is, who manages us? Because if it's Robbo then there's every chance I end up getting played as a target man.

He made his debut for Birmingham aged 16 years and 38 days. That record was almost beaten by his younger brother, Jobe, who made his debut for Birmingham aged 16 years and 107 days and who started their game on the weekend (and has also been linked to Dortmund). I think Jobe is also a midfielder, so hopefully they've got some more younger brothers who are centre backs as that's what England seem to be lacking.

We should just force the mum and dad to breed us quality footballers.

OK but your original point is that it was a bad penalty and Pickford should have saved it. My point was that Pickford went early and that he saw him go, and knew he just needed to roll it in the other side.
If he’d stood and waited, who knows where he’d have put it, but it might have put doubt in the takers head. If Pickford did wait, it still might have been put close to his left side. Who knows. Pickford made a great save earlier on but 6-2 could have been 6-1 if he hadn’t committed to the penalty too early.
He‘s also not my no.1 choice, Ramsdale should be starting, so he’s got a lot to do to please me.

Back
Top Bottom