Home Match Day Thread 04/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 1st Leg - OUFC vs Peterborough

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great atmosphere and for all the tension an enjoyable game. I'll happily take a 1-0 win on the night. Still anybody's tie.

Elliott Moore was immense. Everybody did well but for me, EM was clear motm. Cracking header from Cam Bran for Moore's goal.

The Peterborough toddler drummer unfortunately hasn't improved between the 2 games at ours.

For me the only minor, minor shame tonight was some of the stewards in the North Stand I saw being rude to people. Some of them absolutely seemed to be hoping for trouble. Absolutely humorlous and over-officious. Where do the club get them?

Doesn't even slightly spoil a brilliant night though!
And in the East Stand, they tried to snatch the stadium banner off the fans holding it up at the end.

And in the East Stand, they tried to snatch the stadium banner off the fans holding it up at the end.
It is so frustrating. They were being rude to perfectly reasonable people around me.

Where do the club get them from? It would be amazing if we could have a re-think for next season.

They seem to revel in arguing with fans at times. They should be there to assist and support fans rather than just be joyless rule-enforcers.

It is so frustrating. They were being rude to perfectly reasonable people around me.

Where do the club get them from? It would be amazing if we could have a re-think for next season.

They seem to revel in arguing with fans at times. They should be there to assist and support fans rather than just be joyless rule-enforcers.
A little bit of power in the wrong hands and they get all excited about being in charge.

Well the lucky socks did ok! Very solid performance hopefully holding a bit back for the second leg. I would much prefer Leigh coming on before Browne. Need RR to do a lot more hes capable otherwise get JM in and move Cam up field brilliant assist for the goal btw.

I guess if the tone from the top, and messages constantly emanating from the club on the website about “fan behavior” are anything to go by, then it’s cascading from there and could easily be addressed.

Fans can record and report stewards too. It’s a two way street

I guess if the tone from the top, and messages constantly emanating from the club on the website about “fan behavior” are anything to go by, then it’s cascading from there and could easily be addressed.

Fans can record and report stewards too. It’s a two way street
Feels like such an avoidable situation. No need for fans-stewards to have an antagonistic relationship. 99.9% of people just want to have fun and support their team, no need to treat them like criminals.

Maybe the contract with them is up and the end of the season and this conversation will be totally different next season anyway

Last edited:
What a week culminated by a proper solid performance tonight, Moore was MOTM but both full backs were unreal, they never once looked like scoring and I have confidence we’d be able to see out a result at their place. It’s not over and i’d expect them to bounce back but we’ve put ourselves in a great position. A tear in my eye at the end seeing everyone so United. The players deserved the ovation after that performance, so did Des.

I say what a week because my daughter was discharged from hospital after a tough few weeks on Monday, and my Mum got the all clear from cancer on Wednesday, football becomes so insignificant sometimes but to get that news and a win tonight means so much.

Whatever the result on Wednesday, up the f*****g Oxford

What a week culminated by a proper solid performance tonight, Moore was MOTM but both full backs were unreal, they never once looked like scoring and I have confidence we’d be able to see out a result at their place. It’s not over and i’d expect them to bounce back but we’ve put ourselves in a great position. A tear in my eye at the end seeing everyone so United. The players deserved the ovation after that performance, so did Des.

I say what a week because my daughter was discharged from hospital after a tough few weeks on Monday, and my Mum got the all clear from cancer on Wednesday, football becomes so insignificant sometimes but to get that news and a win tonight means so much.

Whatever the result on Wednesday, up the f*****g Oxford

Fantastic.

The arrogance of their fans is unbelievable. How is it that a team so inferior to them turned them over 5-0 and 1-0 then.

Maybe they will beat us at their place, but they think they're prime Barcelona. Deluded fanbase. Their support was nothing special at all.

Well I was worried i wouldn’t get to watch and was pretty gutted as I was scheduled to coach a game that coincided with kick off. It was rained out though so I got to enjoy the full ride with some American “neutrals”.

We were fantastic. Fans were awesome. Display was spot on. I was proud to watch us put on a show on espn+ and had friends watching and texting.

And the defence were immense. We were much the better side until the goal and then , either by design, or psychology, then conceded territory and possession. And managed to achieve what we needed. If only away goals still counted !

I’d have taken that pre match. We are 6-0 up in the last two games and 6-3 for the season. They’ve not scored on us in two games.

Enjoyed the game and was hoping you got a second but it was not to be.
On Wednesday you have to treat it as 0 - 0 as do we against Barnsley on Tuesday - it's half time.
I think that in both games the first goal is absolutely vital.
Good luck on Wednesday.

You only want us to win, because you think we will be the easier opponent.

I don’t think that will be the case. The 5-0 thrashing you gave us certainly won’t be happening if we meet at Wembley. Likewise last night we beat Peterborough a few weeks ago by the same scoreline, but the reality is, that was never going to happen in last nights game.

Playoffs semi finals and finals, are usually cagey affairs, because there is so much riding on it.

I do think you have the strongest squad, and due to Lge position should go up, but it doesn’t always work out like that.

I also agree, that the ties should be treated as 0-0, when the 2nd legs commence on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Des has alluded to possible changes for Wednesday but I can’t really see where that’s happening. The two full back positions would appear the obvious ones, as that’s probably where we have the strongest cover, but I thought Stevens and Bennett were outstanding last night and it’s a brave man who leaves either of them out. I don’t think either Bodin or Browne did enough to warrant a start either. If we could guarantee seeing the early season McGuane then he’d be the obvious one - maybe for Goodrham (thought he was very good last night too!) and play Brannagan a bit further forward. McEachran possibly, although looking at how they were breaking through midfield late on they had some real energy and we will need to plug some gaps. Tough call for Des but he got it pretty much spot on last night, so same again Wednesday!

I missed the game last night - was driving back from a family event getting score updates from my other half, who I think has finally realised quite how important the club is to me.

Things have changed demonstrably on the pitch, and I look back to that late Greg Leigh goal against Cheltenham as the turning point. We weren’t great quality wise that day, but for the first time we showed real desire - desire that has grown and grown ever since, in turn breeding confidence, and in turn uncovering quality I always knew this squad had.

I wish I could bottle the mixture of hope and pride I am feeling this morning.

Am not missing Wednesday, that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom