Home Match Day Thread 01/04/2024: L1 OUFC v Fleetwood Town

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, we are running out of excuses and time .A decent performance and a 3-1 win. Here's hoping ๐Ÿ™

Could this afternoon be a big factor in Buckingham's future? Surely we can't drop points against a team so low in the league?

Could this afternoon be a big factor in Buckingham's future? Surely we can't drop points against a team so low in the league?
Itโ€™s possibly a bigger game for him than the club. Itโ€™s probably 70/30, maybe 60/40, amongst the fans for him to be sacked. Our leadership wonโ€™t pull the trigger until thatโ€™s 90+ from past experience.

Make a fight of the last 6 and demonstrate that he some buy-in from the players, and heโ€™ll almost certainly get the summer to rebuild. Defeat today and the seasons over.

I think we will win. The performance level over the last couple of games has been decent enough and that defeat on Friday must have been pretty crushing for Fleetwood.

Itโ€™s possibly a bigger game for him than the club. Itโ€™s probably 70/30, maybe 60/40, amongst the fans for him to be sacked. Our leadership wonโ€™t pull the trigger until thatโ€™s 90+ from past experience.

Make a fight of the last 6 and demonstrate that he some buy-in from the players, and heโ€™ll almost certainly get the summer to rebuild. Defeat today and the seasons over.

I think we will win. The performance level over the last couple of games has been decent enough and that defeat on Friday must have been pretty crushing for Fleetwood.

Obviously individual games are a factor that will ultimately decide his fate but, at this stage now, heโ€™s not getting sacked. In my opinion he will only go when we are mathematically done or when we have completed the fixtures. The time to hire a Nigel Pearson type to get us over the line was about three or four weeks ago, no one now is realistically going to achieve any more than Des - better the devil you know.

This isnโ€™t one I have us down to drop points - a relatively comfortable 3-1 win without too much drama.

Iโ€™m going 1-1. We look like scared little children and I donโ€™t think a home fixture will help that.

We donโ€™t currently have the mental strength and leadership to take off the handbrake and we will have to equalise.

Watching Oxford at the moment is like playing a friendly every week. Lacks urgency, initiative and gusto, but one way or another this has to change.

Obviously individual games are a factor that will ultimately decide his fate but, at this stage now, heโ€™s not getting sacked. In my opinion he will only go when we are mathematically done or when we have completed the fixtures. The time to hire a Nigel Pearson type to get us over the line was about three or four weeks ago, no one now is realistically going to achieve any more than Des - better the devil you know.

This isnโ€™t one I have us down to drop points - a relatively comfortable 3-1 win without too much drama.
Whether we might have snuck into the playoffs, this season was a write-off as soon as Manning went. He was getting more out of the squad than it was really capable of, and the extra upheaval of losing Beadle, Edwards and Mills compounded that.

What we should have seen since then though is some evolution and progression under Des, guiding us into a summer transfer window with very little work to do. Instead it feels like weโ€™ve wasted a transfer window and players who looked excellent at L1 level in the first half of the season - Rodrigues, Leigh, McGuane - have looked shadows of those players unclear of their roles in strange team selections. All of a sudden weโ€™re four or five signings off the starting point we should have had.

What Des must demonstrate today and for the rest of the season is that he is control of whatโ€™s happening. If we go 1-0 up, then make sure that the direction and subs show that we are doing all we can to stay on the front foot, not James Henry bumbling on in a like for like change while we slowly get deeper and deeper then concede a soft goal.

We will not get a better opportunity this season than todayโ€™s game to make a statement to build from. Iโ€™m confident weโ€™ll win, but what I really want to see is a 90 minute performance. Not one that only gets going when we concede because we canโ€™t create that urgency and momentum ourselves and need that trigger to start playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom