Away Match Day Thread 08/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 2nd Leg - Peterborough vs OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Hope we win of course, but their outright arrogance about thinking they'll roll us over makes you want it even more

Last edited:
I'm still in shock about last night. I was convinved if he conceded first or sat back too much we would lose.

I'm fully in love with Moore and Brannagan. When we were in the conference who thought we'd be seeing players of that quality again.

It will be the death of me, but what a club we are.

The support home and away has been class. What a fanbase!

Yep - Des said after the game that they wanted to avoid going down to 10 men at all costs (I guessing Fin would be out of the final if he got a second yellow too). Fin marshalled Mason-Clark really well in the first half, but one poor decision to go to ground and mistime his tackle cost him a yellow (no arguments with that), and from then on, it was always going to be difficult against a pacey/tricky winger. For the first few minutes after Long came on, I thought it was only a matter of time until Mason-Clark decisively got the better of him, but Josh Murphy came to his rescue and between them, they dealt with his threat admirably.
Stevens was actually struggling from minute 1. Mason-Clark is a fine player so no disgrace.
The Boro left side triumvirate are all quality operators and we did fantastically well to eventually snuff them out.

Murphy was better as auxiliary right back than as a winger. This was as a result of another fine substitution by Sir Des.

II have to say I’m surprised by the attitudes of their fans on that forum and social media. I spoke to a few Posh fans yesterday and they all seemed thoroughly pleasant and reasonable, all predicted a tight game or an Oxford win - not sure this ‘how much will we win by’ attitude was reflected in the fan base more largely.

Let me counter that by saying I was opposite a chap in the very-intimate toilets at the Charter (it was a superb pre match venue apart from that!) and he told us we shouldn’t bother showing up because Posh tear teams apart at home.

Their forum was bizarre after losing the first leg. I’d call it “mass” delusion, but they only seem to have about five new posts a day so not sure that’s right. They’re currently having a go at the ballboys.

They were on par with us last night for about five minutes, and that was mostly spent chucking pyro on the pitch. What did they expect us to do? They couldn’t solve the first problem we gave them.

All that said, they did make a good noise and I’d take plenty of their players in an Ox shirt in this division or the one above.

Well yeah his crossing wasn’t great, but they had 15 corners in the game and a lot of them were from him getting past Stevens. I’m not praising their winger by any means but a couple of neutrals I know who were watching the game made the point that our right back was getting done a lot by their left winger and it was no surprise that Des took him off at half time. Murphy’s crossing was a lot better than any of theirs though, I agree
The corners were precisely because he *couldn't* get past Stevens. Had to keep playing it off him for a corner rather than beating him. Thought Stevens again did really well until getting the tackle wrong for the booking. Very sensible to then bring Long on, although I feared the worst early in the second half.

Stupidly forgot to record the game last night. Anyone know anyway of being able to find it anywhere so that i can sit and enjoy it all over again?

Stupidly forgot to record the game last night. Anyone know anyway of being able to find it anywhere so that i can sit and enjoy it all over again?
Watch it with the sound off. Commentary was so biased against us.

In what way ? They correctly noted that Peterborough had most of the ball and were doing all the attacking, that’s not biased.
You'd have thought we were playing Man City the way they were lording them up. And apparently we were committing tactical fouls. He said it at the exact moment the replay showed one of their players dived to get a free kick.

I'm sure he must feel a bit of a closeness to Oxford, especially now the season has ended, and it sounds like he's heaping the pressure on Bolton. We can't call it a free hit but there's no doubt about it that Bolton go in to this game carrying all the expectation. I'd also suggest that Evatt's job will come under scrutiny if they lose to us. He's done well there but they did fade away towards the end and let Derby in.

Yeah, I didn't think they were biased at all. They were complimentary about our defensive resilience throughout.
Interesting replies as I was getting angry at the commentary during the game. I'll admit I was wound up but still thought a lot of it was one sided.

Back
Top Bottom