Away Match Day Thread 08/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 2nd Leg - Peterborough vs OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Hope we win of course, but their outright arrogance about thinking they'll roll us over makes you want it even more

Last edited:
Hang on, he's having a go at Barnsley for leaving seats in the away end empty to gain an advantage, Peterborough did exactly that themselves... And that's ignoring the rubbish about Cumming going down 'every 5 seconds', think it was twice wasn't it? Peterborough weren't all angels themselves, plenty of diving and going down easily.
I think Cumming only went down once! but could be wrong.

We done what so many teams have done to us in the past a dash of dark arts, defending like hero`s and taking the chance we needed.

Get on !

Sixth visit to Wembley!!

Never would I have believed that would happen.

5th proper one, I don’t count that abomination with no fans, could have been anywhere.

Agreed - I've been reluctant to say it for fear of the jinx, but at the beginning, it was a toss up between Cumming and Eastie for blunders per game.

But no more. From memory, he hasn't made a mistake for a while, must be growing confidence from playing regularly again. Blinder last night :)
I'm still not convinced, despite the save to end all saves in the last minute yesterday.
Still think we could do better.
Anyway, that's a discussion for after 18 May.

Forked out for a couple of tickets in the hospitality suite which was actually pretty good. Opposite corner to the away section. Just needed to keep a bit of a lid on it when the penalty went in and also at the final whistle. I would say hats off to the Peterborough fans, the stadium was absolutely rocking. It felt like everyone was getting involved.

I think we were probably a bit lucky, but then again it's not like they missed any sitters and the big chances were all right at the end. I don't think we'd have hung on if it had it gone to extra time. They also played some brilliant football and I guess they can at least say they went down swinging. Spoke to a few Posh fans who said they hadn't expected to do much this season as they'd sold so many players.

The clearance from Long was amazing, but I think a key moment was all the flares being thrown on the pitch after they scored. When the final one went down even the home fans had had enough. Allowed us to regroup, all the momentum was with them at that point and we won the free kick / penalty not long afterwards..

On we go. Bolton over 90 minutes is definitely winnable. In Des We Trust.

I listened back on a delay last night and it drifted into The Late Show. However, attempting to listen back again this morning The Late Show begins as the 10pm News.

It’s frustrating that there is always some missing audio from WATG for midweek shows.
Am convinced BBC Sounds is managed by people who don't actually use it -ever.

Randoms:

Quality shithousery on and off pitch.

Unbelievably intense atmosphere.
A young couple left our section during additional time ; (henceforth known as Rorke’s Drift,) carrying a three month old baby wearing ear defenders . What a first game for him/her ; bizarre.

Who should turn up sitting next to me but UptheU’s. Yes, the same fella who’s spent days issuing conspiracy theories about the ticketing processs, He rang up the club on Tuesday and there were 250 tickets left. It was a pleasure to watch the game with you , Sean. Impressed with your spot that Long would replace Stevens at half time. That move helped clinch the result. .

Posh fans really bruised by last year. They never really fancied it.

The back 5 were superb. THEY SHALL NOT PASS. Have changed mind about Cumming. He deserves a contract. Delivered on a pressured stage.

Various old timers in raptures. Fantastic Mr Ox, Godalming Yellow: we salute you.

Des knew we had to do it in 90 and delivered a defensive master class. Harris was totally spent by the end. .

Rodrigues ; sure footed and elegant.

Wembley is going to be a game for the ages. Such support, such passion, such on pitch intelligence.

COYY
It was a pleasure to sit/stand next to you too Tim (oh, and to see the look on your face as I was walking down the row!) and experience a wonderful result, but not sure about the pillar!

No worries re; the Long substitution!

Not conspiracy, just thought there was some kind of glitch with the system/not all tickets being made available for one reason or another, but so glad I went on the waiting list/guys in the club ticket office calling me to offer a ticket in the end, to then be able to experience a truly memorable night/atmosphere which surpassed the Orient away game earlier in the season.

Now to get the Wembley tickets!! 🤣😞

Last edited:
Am convinced BBC Sounds is managed by people who don't actually use it -ever.
Yeah, would have been nice to listen to the whole recording on the journey home.

Seemed like a train of cars going along the A45/A43 on the way back which I presume was mostly Oxford fans. Reminded me of the time driving back from Wembley in 86 along the M40 with it coming to a standstill, then getting out of the cars and doing the conga with 1000’s of other fellow yellows!!

Last edited:
Cumming, post Bolton, has been exceptional. Credit where credits due because I had written him off as a poor signing. The form he’s in now I don’t think I could choose between him and Beadle - a very close call.
He has been very good. And when it really matters
Well done him. Great to see him get his own song last night - he seemed chuffed to get the plaudits.

I've been having a look at the Peterborough forum this morning - very entertaining. They are absolutely fuming.
Fuming at their own inability yet again to progress through the payoffs and that, yet again we had their number :unsure:

Last edited:
I've been having a look at the Peterborough forum this morning - very entertaining. They are absolutely fuming.
Hilarious viewing - fans moaning about time wasting, despite them wasting a good 5 minutes by throwing smoke bombs on the pitch when they scored and saying how we feigned injuries.... two of our players went off injured! One of them for being bundled into the post by their dirty centre halves.

Something that really sticks in the craw is seeing all those 100s of seats covered in plastic below the Oxford fans. Utterly pathetic Peterborough and, whilst I admire your football and your team’s efforts that really was petty, mean-spirited and motivation for us.
We had this discussion. Allegedly the gate for all playoff games is divided between all 4 teams involved so the financial benefit of having extra income from away fans is diluted to the point that participants would simply prefer not to have a large contingent of away supporters backing their team in a crucial game. Barnsley did it to us last season and this - leaving thousands of Wanderers fans unable to attend despite their ground being half empty. Last season we made the mistake of giving them a large allocation - and we ended up losing by the odd goal. Having learned from that experience we decided to return the favour this time around.
I don't like it - I'd rather have a full house for a better atmosphere - but it does emphasise the role that fans play in the success of their team.

Why did your keeper fake an injury every 5 seconds? Why did your kit man run over shouting at your keeper to fake an injury? Because you do everything you can to gain an advantage. Look at Barnsley, they gave Bolton 2000 tickets and left the rest of their 5000 away end empty!

Marginal gains innit.

You seem to think you are the paragons of virtue, yet your team were cynically taking out Josh Murphy to stop him throughout the first leg. Your right back at least 3 times in the 1st half alone, why did you do that? That would be your team illegally trying to gain an advantage. I didn't see many, if any of you, complaining about that.

My favourite was this gem:
In all my years of watching football, that was the most obviously blatant example of cheating I’ve ever seen. Their kit man running over to their keeper telling him to fake injury, multiple false injuries and using every opportunity to get that stupid bint to run into the pitch to treat their faking pricks. And the ref bought every single one. We were the better team by a country mile and they will get royally dicked at Wembley.

Late to the thread but:

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Absolutely beautiful. Magnificently calm penalty by Cam Bran, just a brilliant goal line clearance by Sam Long and what a save by Cumming.

Numpty handball by Burrows for the penalty but thanks so much. Ferguson claiming a penalty for what it seems hitting Bennett in the head and even if it did hit the arm, it was by his side amused me.
I thought Ferguson didn't know his a**e from his elbow, but it's obviously his head from his elbow.
This game will haunt him more than the Sheffield Wednesday fiasco last year. But in the really big games he just gets it so so wrong.
That performance showed a side to our team we haven't had seen a long long time. The defensive shape was superb and the cracks really only appeared when many looked knackered at the death.
Posh just huffed and puffed by they didn't have the sublety to blow the house down. They tried and tried to get down the wings but largely failed.
Simply unbelievable the difference in performance from the last time we played there.

I thought Ferguson didn't know his a**e from his elbow, but it's obviously his head from his elbow.
This game will haunt him more than the Sheffield Wednesday fiasco last year. But in the really big games he just gets it so so wrong.
That performance showed a side to our team we haven't had seen a long long time. The defensive shape was superb and the cracks really only appeared when many looked knackered at the death.
Posh just huffed and puffed by they didn't have the sublety to blow the house down. They tried and tried to get down the wings but largely failed.
Simply unbelievable the difference in performance from the last time we played there.

I know what you’re saying but we were superb defensively the other night too, the drama though made last night our best defensive display, I agree.

Back
Top Bottom