World Cup England squad

That defence, and the backup options in central midfield, look dreadful. I can't see that standing up to the top teams,

Last edited:
poor back line choices/selections and question marks over 2 or 3 of the forwards IMO

poor back line choices/selections and question marks over 2 or 3 of the forwards IMO
Who would you have taken instead? It's a fairly uninspiring squad because it's a fairly uninspiring bunch to choose from

I wouldn't have taken dier he's dreadful coady again does he deserve to be playing in a WC I'm happy maddison has been chosen also Wilson he's a good striker I probably would have taken Toney

I guess GS is the same as KR places for his mates instead of places on merit

I wouldn't have taken dier he's dreadful coady again does he deserve to be playing in a WC I'm happy maddison has been chosen also Wilson he's a good striker I probably would have taken Toney

I guess GS is the same as KR places for his mates instead of places on merit

No problem with Coady. He is an out and out defender though rather than a ball playing centre back. Dier can do one though.

No problem with Wilson either, a good PL player over a longer period than Toney. Also, the issue around Toney and betting may have had an impact.

Also, where has Southgate become 'mates' with Coady and Wilson?

Who would you have taken instead? It's a fairly uninspiring squad because it's a fairly uninspiring bunch to choose from
Burn, Dunk, Ghuei, Smalling ( as mentioned above) - Toney

No problem with Coady. He is an out and out defender though rather than a ball playing centre back. Dier can do one though.

No problem with Wilson either, a good PL player over a longer period than Toney. Also, the issue around Toney and betting may have had an impact.

Also, where has Southgate become 'mates' with Coady and Wilson?
The last sentence was more aimed at Maguire I don't think he's good enough and Walker he hasn't played since September how does he deserve to go to the WC

The last sentence was more aimed at Maguire I don't think he's good enough and Walker he hasn't played since September how does he deserve to go to the WC

Agreed on Maguire as he isn't playing much for Man Utd even. Somewhat hypocritically I can see the point of risking Walker considering how good he has been for England previously and how he allows flexibility, especially as we have 26 in the squad rather than the previous 23. Plus we have plenty of options there should he not make it.

I think risking Walker is a risk worth taking.
He can play pretty much anywhere in the back line.
Maguire no way, no form and his confidence is shot.

Burn, Dunk, Ghuei, Smalling ( as mentioned above) - Toney
Genuine question, how much have you seen of Smalling to make that judgement? It seems Tomori has been most harshly done by. I'd maybe have tried to take Burn as he can cover left back too but who would you be taking out, you can only remove Maguire once and even he's generally been pretty good for England so I can see why Southgate trusts him.

Toney could feel a bit harshly done by but I don't think he's as good as Wilson and Kane is nailed on for that role anyway, although he'd have been useful in a penalty shootout.

Either way I don't think there's a great pool to pick from, especially in defence and once you get past the starters in midfield. I suspect we'll be coming home as soon as we play anyone good again, we can't get as lucky with the draw as we have in the last couple of tournaments.

Tomori was poor against Chelsea and Smalling is no better than he was at Man U, Serie A isn't that good at the moment with the exception of Napoli. We just don't have much in the way of good centre backs at the moment, a long way from the days of Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher and King as an example, we always seem to be very light in one position.

you know things are bad when Smalling is being suggested as an alternative.

Dan Burn plays left back for Newcastle doesn’t he? Surprised he wasn’t included
He was my wild card pick and my mates all still laugh at me for this view! I watch every premier league game I can and across his time at Brighton and now Newcastle, I’d argue he’s shown more consistency than any central defender we have selected in our squad. He’s not a fashionable choice given his frame but if you actually watch him, he’s a bloody good footballer who has all the attributes you could want for international football. I’m amazed he hasn’t been shown more consideration especially when Tyrone Mings has been shown a lot of blind faith simply for the fact he was left footed. Eric Dier has never and will never be a good enough defender and Maguire has hardly managed a good game since the Euros.

I think Southgate’s squad is predictable and narrow, personally. I understand going with the old and trusted approach but in reality, very few players in that squad are playing well for their clubs and I can’t see that they are there on merit. Some haven’t even kicked a ball in the run up to this tournament and a World Cup is not a pre season. We need players to be ready physically and mentally from game one. Some of those players, plain and simple, are not the best English players in their position and to take them devalues the England shirt. If you can play poorly for 12-18 months and still achieve inclusion in the squad, I think it sends a really, really damaging message to aspiring players. It’s a backwards step for me, but as ever, I’ll believe we can win!

Back
Top Bottom