Who will win?

• England

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • France

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not just Southgate though, is it?

When's the last time England actually beat a good team in a knockout competition?

Maybe Spain in 1996? Although I'm not sure they were great. If not that, it's 1966.

Starting to wonder if, as a nation, we just don't have what it takes to win these massive games when the stakes are highest. We always, always seem to end up settling for respectable defeat the first time we come up against someone good (if we get that far).

To be fair you have to include Spain as a top side else it gets ridiculous, as soon as England beat a team they are s**t.

Having said that we did only beat them on penalties so it’s not that great.

We need to learn how to beat better teams in tournaments, we are now very good against the lesser teams and we matched France tonight but maybe just lack the nous of how to get over the line against that standard of side.

We didn’t discredit ourselves. I thought we were the best side and France were nothing super despite the hype.
Credit to the team but I think that in hindsight, they will see that they had France on the rack
For long periods and didn’t pressure them enough.

Foden was born in 2000. Saka was born in 2001 and Bellingham in 2003.

Do we really think they're sat around before the game saying 'hey lads, England haven't beat a decent side since years before we were even born!'

No chance. England lost out to a very good France side tonight. No more, no less, and what happened 30+ years ago is totally irrelevant.

In a way I hope that France smash it and it shows that we were the second best team.

Do we really think they're sat around before the game saying 'hey lads, England haven't beat a decent side since years before we were even born!'

No chance. England lost out to a very good France side tonight. No more, no less, and what happened 30+ years ago is totally irrelevant.

They asked Harry Kane about Pele in an interview as if he was going to have some memories of watching him play, I am 14 years older than him and I never saw him.

I think that’s what we forget about footballers, they are very young, 32/33 is considered old when outside of the sport it’s not, they don’t really care/remember what happened in 2008 let alone what happened in the 80s/90s etc.

not sure what I think on it all, positives are most of our best players are young so we should have a few more opportunities to compete for trophies, we played well after a poor start

Not fussed either way now if Southgate is here for Euros but it’s win that or goodbye imo

I’ve always been a huge Kane fan but he either needs to drop into centre forward role behind a proper striker or be dropped for England imo

It's irrelevant as far as motivating or putting pressure on the players goes.

But it is the case that you would have to be in your 60s to remember England beating a very good side in a World Cup knockout match.

Since 1966, it's played nine, lost nine as soon as we've come up against a genuine contender (or even solid pretender).
West Germany (1970), Argentina (1986), West Germany (1990), Argentina (1998), Brazil (2002), Portugal (2006), Germany (2010), Croatia (2018) and now France (2022).

Just once in my life, I'd like to see us actually win one of these big World Cup clashes rather than being outclassed/getting cheated/competing manfully but coming up short/blowing it on penalties. There's probably at least twenty other countries that have managed at least one big World Cup knockout victory in the past 56 years; every major footballing nation except us, and a lot of others besides.......

But it is the case that you would have to be in your 60s to remember England beating a very good side in a World Cup knockout match.

Since 1966, it's played nine, lost nine as soon as we've come up against a genuine contender (or even solid pretender).
West Germany (1970), Argentina (1986), West Germany (1990), Argentina (1998), Brazil (2002), Portugal (2006), Germany (2010), Croatia (2018) and now France (2022).

Just once in my life, I'd like to see us actually win one of these big World Cup clashes rather than being outclassed/getting cheated/competing manfully but coming up short/blowing it on penalties. There's probably at least twenty other countries that have managed at least one big World Cup knockout victory in the past 56 years; every major footballing nation except us, and a lot of others besides.......
This was a game for the taking. We have the players to do it. We should have gone for it from the off. Our tactics failed us. It's that simple.

Jim Smith would have won it for us.

Last edited:
But why would he leave Newcastle he's on to a good thing there

You can't win the euro or world cup with a club team. If Eddie Howe won us either being England manager he would go down in history as the best English manager since 1966.

I feel a bit like we are defined by the words of Footballs coming home! It was a great self-deprecating set of lyrics with a top tune, and if we had won euro96 would have been the height of ironic superiority. We didn’t and every tournament “we seem to know the score- we’ve
Seen it all before”!

Maybe we need a new truly great ultra positive tournament anthem to wipe away FCH from our psyche!

It’s kind of depressing that next World Cup will be “60 years of hurt”. It’s as long since euro96 as it was then since 1966.
:)

This was a game for the taking. We have the players to do it. We should have gone for it from the off. Our tactics failed us. It's that simple.

Jim Smith would have won it for us.
The “tactics” of heading wide, skying a peno, skimming the bar?

Back
Top Bottom